Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Tue, Mar-13-18, 07:34

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebenRedux
Eventually LCHF will get the majority on the weight of that evidence alone. If not this time around then... But hopefully this time around. The sooner we get the DGAs changed, the sooner lives will be saved. So let's beat this drum loudly, LCHF-ers.

All science starts with observation of anecdotes.

For myself, getting a grip on my health was entirely the province of going out online and finding what other people did and what worked for them. Some of it worked for me and some of it didn't, but it was help I was emphatically not getting from the established scientific authorities. Inevitably, they would find out I was not on their fave combo of Prozac/Lipitor/Ambien and then their goal became giving that to me.

I get a lot of flak when I share my healing journey. Mostly from people who are "I don't do a thing unless it's been published X times in peer-revived papers and has a consensus of support from real scientists. Until then it's a fad-diet/quack-treatment/nothing-but-woo."

I can only imagine they are on the Prozac/Lipitor/Ambien prescription trifecta (which takes an effort not to be on these days) and it's only a matter of time until they go insane and succumb to heart failure while hallucinating that they are sensible.

My favorite rebuttal story is that Semmelweis was committed to a lunatic asylum for his insane insistence that doctors wash their hands. Every ground-breaking scientific theory "sounds like woo" to the people who are used to the current one.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Fri, Mar-16-18, 00:26

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

My comment is up:

Quote:
I have lived half a lifetime's worth of obesity and suffered many of its associated social and physiological consequences along the way. In early 2015 I was at my worst, 302 pounds and chronically inflamed, taking medication for chest pain. Moving was hard, breathing was hard, living was hard.

It was in October of that year - at 291 pounds - that I was recommended a low carb, high fat (LCHF) diet for the first time. I was sceptical to say the least; this would go completely against the official guidelines I'd always been raised to adhere to. But in the state my health was in at that point, what did I have left to lose? So I gave it a shot, with no expectations whatsoever.

Boy, was I in for a surprise. Over the following 15 months I lost another 111 pounds. My chest pain disappeared, I lost 16 inches from my waist, and I even dropped a shoe size. And I did it without any regular exercise beyond simply walking to work, I did it without ever going hungry, and I have so far kept the weight off for over a year. My HbA1c is normal, my blood pressure is normal, and my lipids are great. For the first time in living memory, I am metabolically healthy.

And yet, for all that I am so proud to have accomplished personally, some concerns remain. There are so many others out there who are still where I used to be, trusting in the guidelines to help make them healthy. Well, it appears that for an ever-increasing number of us, that will never happen without certain changes. This is why I am writing in today.

There's certainly something very wrong with the guidelines as they currently stand. In light of my own experience and given the option, I would make them all about LCHF tomorrow. Alternatively, if changing the main body of the guidelines is too hard, why not at least consider a new set of guidelines targeted specifically at those with chronic metabolic conditions like obesity and type 2 diabetes? They all have the same root cause after all: it's called carbs. And it's not like there isn't already some thought being put into particular demographics like children, pregnant women, older people and so on. What's one more?

Attached is a copy of my own personal weight loss success story from dietdoctor.com, and a summary of some of the latest scientific studies I have uncovered - of which there are many - that I hope answers some of the questions posed with regard to low carbohydrate diets and saturated fat consumption.

I urge the USDA and HHS to take this discussion seriously; bring the guidelines up to date, apply today's science, apply what works, and help the people to help themselves, as I have.

Thank you for your consideration.

The success story is just the same as what's here and on DD, while the science is basically a 4 page collection of highlights from a larger proposal that I've been working on separately these last few weeks.
  #48   ^
Old Fri, Mar-16-18, 05:24

Plan: Dr. Westman
Stats: 242/225/150 Female 5' 5.5"
BF:39%/39%/24%
Progress: 18%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grav
My comment is up:

The success story is just the same as what's here and on DD, while the science is basically a 4 page collection of highlights from a larger proposal that I've been working on separately these last few weeks.

Wow, Grav, terrific job! It is a concise, friendly account of your real life metabolic transformation that cannot be ignored by those who are sincerely searching for guidelines that will best help restore national and global metabolic well-being.
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Mar-16-18, 06:43

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I finally overcame my skepticism about this whole process and submitted a brief statement:

Quote:
By eating a low carbohydrate, moderate protein, high fat diet I have gone from 245 lbs to 120 lbs and sustained this weight loss for over a decade. I have also normalized my HbA1C which is now 5.0, normalized my blood pressure, eliminated my IBS, and been able to stop all antidepressant medication. By eating this way I have eliminated what was once a ravenous appetite where I was always hungry to having no trouble eating moderately. I take no prescription drugs and walk 4-6 miles a day, an exercise regimen I started only after I had lost 100 lbs eating low carb. I strongly recommend that a low carbohydrate diet be recommended for people struggling with metabolic issues such as obesity and type 2 diabetes. My story can be found at https://www.dietdoctor.com/?s=jean+risman.

I have extreme doubts that anything will come of this, too many competing interests, but hope springs eternal.

Jean
  #50   ^
Old Fri, Mar-16-18, 09:55

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

My comment too is up. Definitely not as eloquent as many others but hopefully one more non-cut-and-paste voice to help begin to turn the tide against the low-fat-eat-less-move-more dogma that has been ruining American lives for forty years!

Note that it appears to take several days for comments to show up on the comment board after you post.
  #51   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-18, 04:01

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Bev, that is a wonderful personal story and I totally agree that we would all be better off without dietary guidelines. I took the more middle of the road stance on getting rid of them, and suggested that the guidelines be simple and food-based. Get out of the macro-nutrient weeds and urge every age to eat real unprocessed foods. Brazil has already done that. https://www.vox.com/2015/2/20/8076961/brazil-food-guide
  #52   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-18, 08:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
I finally overcame my skepticism about this whole process and submitted a brief statement:

I have extreme doubts that anything will come of this, too many competing interests, but hope springs eternal.

Jean

It's hard to keep optimistic but your story describes exactly the kind of across-the-board recovery doctors WANT to (and, for most, rarely) see in their patients. Let's hope the Powers That Be are paying attention to that fact and decide to more carefully investigate what caused your "unusually" successful outcome. Hoping!
  #53   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-18, 09:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevangel
My comment too is up. Definitely not as eloquent as many others but hopefully one more non-cut-and-paste voice to help begin to turn the tide against the low-fat-eat-less-move-more dogma that has been ruining American lives for forty years!

Note that it appears to take several days for comments to show up on the comment board after you post.

Bevangel, yours is a great story of pure, unbiased research innocently producing results that support the LCHF WOE so well. And you made an excellent (and worrisome) point about the nutrition provided in senior housing. I'm so glad you've shared your experiment and conclusions with the USDA.

I've noticed that, like yours, the comments being sent by forum members are of such quality, not projecting the hysterical resentment I've heard some vegans voice, but providing carefully supported recommendations that may earn the kind of respect from the USDA that invites its attentiveness.

Last edited by LebenRedux : Sat, Mar-17-18 at 09:30.
  #54   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-18, 12:55

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal

We can't really know how much of a difference any of this will make, except that the chance for change is surely better with our input than without it. The difference may be small, even imperceptible at our level, but it has to be there. I like to think so, anyway.
  #55   ^
Old Mon, Mar-26-18, 02:23

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

ZoeHarcombe has added a brilliant comment based on her years of PhD research into the evidence for the original dietary guidelines. A summary of trials into CHD, saturated and unsaturated fats, etc.

http://www.zoeharcombe.com/2018/03/...tary-guidelines
  #56   ^
Old Mon, Mar-26-18, 05:08

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

What a killer comment! She knows her stuff and can explain it, too.
  #57   ^
Old Mon, Mar-26-18, 05:20

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

If only this process was guided by reason Zoe Harcombe's critique would be the death knell for the low fat hypothesis.

Jean
  #58   ^
Old Mon, Mar-26-18, 06:29

So true, Jean! But to paraphrase one state prosecutor, "When the crime involves politics, tangible evidence becomes worthless."

Still...we have to hope that the evidence provided by high caliber witnesses like Zoe Harcombe can overcome the political interests that would otherwise (continue to) compromise the health and well-being of Americans.

Can anyone spell it out more clearly than she did? --

The question being asked of contributors is “What is the relationship between saturated fats consumption (types and amounts) during adulthood and risk of cardiovascular disease?”

The answer is “none” and facts about fat inform us that it would make no sense for there to be any.

Bam!
  #59   ^
Old Mon, Mar-26-18, 06:35

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

On Twitter this morning is a source to leave comments on the Dietary Guidelines:
https://www.nutritioncoalition.us/2...ary-guidelines/
  #60   ^
Old Mon, Mar-26-18, 09:05

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Bravo, Zoe.