Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sat, Nov-14-09, 09:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 308/278/220 Male 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

BRPSSM, thats cool that you get to run so no need to be sorry, one day I will be doing the same. I know you're right about saying that people will have different opinions about what I'm trying to do. I guess the best thing for me to do is to just see what works for me. I have to say this: Disease can't live on me. I know I have about 88 of them(pounds) hanging around with me, but out of my mouth, I have already told them to go away. So with you and everyone else's help on this site, and my actions, it won't be long before what I have already said, (that they can't live on me) will be a truth! Feel me?
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Nov-19-09, 07:16

BF:

well hello? geez what happened to all my friends and stuff?
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Nov-19-09, 09:12
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by wegotdis

Hey Reggie...start your own journal and use that to post daily....we'll find you there.
  #49   ^
Old Thu, Nov-19-09, 09:24

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:

Huh, I didn't see your last post. Unlike JudyNYC, I never look at journals. I've been looking for a thread from you in the Triple Digits Club.
  #50   ^
Old Tue, Nov-24-09, 10:51

BF:

BREAKING NEWS BREAKING NEWS BREAKING NEWS
Today is such a great day! Today marks my 2 week starting the atkins diet time. I lost 26 pounds in 2 weeks!! im thinking it could have been more cause my first week i was doing it wrong. I didn't eat bread or pasta or sugar, but i did max out on fruits! I went the whole first week doing so, then I thought to myself this is too easy, so I looked into it a lil deeper and thats when I found out I was doing it wrong. I didn't stop dieting but I did change it up and went the right way about it. and I am also walking all but 2 days a week. I started at 309 and today I'm 282. I'm thinking now to just include fruits and just keep walking and the weight will go away. I still have yet to get a book to tell me just how to keep the weight going down. So if anyone know anything I know you'll let me know cause WEGOTDIS!
  #51   ^
Old Tue, Nov-24-09, 14:05

Plan: was Atkins now PāNu
Stats: 292.5/195/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Um, wow, 26lbs in 2 weeks, that is quite impressive. It seems to be working for you, just be prepared that you won't lose 26lbs every 2 weeks

Fruit is a no-no during Atkins first phase, but I guess you learned that.

This is taken from the Atkins site about Induction (Phase I of Atkins) with some edits by me (marked EDIT). You can stay in this phase if you are comfortable still with your food choices.

Quote:
net carbohydrates during this phase: 20 grams per day

Remember, by reducing carbs and eating the right foods – lean protein, leafy greens, vegetables and sweet Atkins snacks, you’ll supercharge your metabolism and turn your body into a fat burning machine. To understand how net carbs differ from total carbs see - What are net carbs?
What you’ll eat during this phase:

* You’ll satisfy your appetite with delicious and healthy foods, starting with protein – chicken, turkey, lean beef, fish, shellfish, pork, veal, eggs, and a variety of vegetable proteins.
* You’ll enjoy natural fats – olive oil, safflower oil, butter and avocado, and more.
* You’ll eat leafy greens and vegetables – salad greens and non-starchy vegetables should make up around 12 to 15 grams of net carbs per day. (See the Acceptable Foods List for Phase 1 for more information)

As part of your daily 20 grams of net carbs, you can also have the following – every day:

* Up to 4 ounces of cheese
* 10 to 20 olives - they make a great quick snack
* Half an avocado
* An ounce of sour cream or 3 ounces of unsweetened cream in your coffee
* Up to 3 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
* One to two servings of Atkins bars or shakes. Check the packaging to see which ones are right for Induction (usually less than 3 grams of net carbs). - [EDIT -- DON'T DO THIS, THE BARS AND SHAKES ARE NOT RECOMMENDED]

* A note about artificial sweeteners: You can use sucralose or saccharin as a sweeter. Just be sure to count each packet as 1 gram of net carbs due to the fillers manufacturers add. You may also drink diet beverages that contain these sweeteners as well as sugar-free gelatin.[EDIT - THE BOOK SAYS NO ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS]

What you’ll avoid during this phase:

* Added sugars and trans fats.
* Starchy vegetables such as potatoes, yams, and squash
* Bread, pasta, and grains. [edit to remove where they say you can have 1 serving if you must -- this is absolutely a no-no per the book]
* Whole, reduced-fat or skim milk
* Fruit, except for avocados, tomatoes and olives. Yep, they’re all fruits
* Nuts or seeds
* Foods that combine protein and carbs, such as, lentils, chickpeas (garbanzo beans) kidney beans and other legumes

Stay away from foods with higher levels of carbs, but don’t sweat it. We’ll show you how to add these foods back into your diet in later phases, while continuing to lose or maintain your weight.

Acceptable Foods List:
Quote:
All fish including:

* Flounder
* Herring
* Salmon
* Sardines
* Sole
* Tuna
* Trout

All fowl including:

* Cornish hen
* Chicken
* Duck
* Goose
* Pheasant
* Quail
* Turkey

All shellfish including:

* Clams
* Crabmeat
* Mussels*
* Oysters*
* Shrimp
* Squid

*Oysters and mussels are higher in carbs so limit to about 4 ounces per day.

All meat including:

* Bacon*
* Beef
* Ham*
* Lamb
* Pork
* Veal
* Venison

Some processed meat, bacon, and ham is cured with sugar, which will add to the carb count. Also steer clear of cold cuts and other meats with added nitrates.

Eggs are one of nature's most nutritious creations. That’s why eggs are a staple breakfast in the Atkins Nutritional Approach.

Feel free to get creative with your eggs: Add mushrooms and onions, or even green pepper. Top the dish off with feta cheese or add basil, oregano and other herbs.

Eggs in any style, including:

* Deviled
* Fried
* Hard-boiled
* Omelets
* Poached
* Scrambled
* Soft-boiled

Keep in mind that cheese does contain carbs, about 1 gram per ounce. You may have about 3 to 4 ounces of cheese per day. An ounce is about the size of an individually wrapped slice of American cheese or a 1" cube.

Cheese including:
Type Serving Size Grams of net carbs
Blue cheeses 1 oz 0.7
Cheddar ½ cup 0.0
Cow, sheep and goat 1 oz 0.3
Cream cheese 1 oz 0.8
Feta 1 oz 1.2
Gouda 1 oz 0.6
Mozzarella 1 oz 0.6
Parmesan 1 tbs 0.2
Swiss 1 oz 1.0

Vegetables:

You should be eating approximately 12 to 15 grams of net carbs per day in the form of vegetables, which is equivalent to several cups depending on the actual carb content of the veggies you select.

1 cup is roughly the size of a baseball. Measure the following salad vegetables raw.
Vegetable Serving Size/Prep grams of net carbs
Alfalfa sprouts 1 cup/raw 0.4
Argula ½ cup/raw 0.2
Bok choy 1 cup/raw 0.8
Celery 1 stalk 0.8
Chicory greens ½ cup/raw 0.6
Chives 1 tablespoon 0.1
Cucumber ½ cup 1.0
Daikon ½ cup 1.0
Endive ½ cup 0.0
Escarole ½ cup 0.0
Fennel 1 cup 3.6
Jicama ½ cup 2.5
Iceberg lettuce
½ cup 0.1
Mushrooms ½ cup 1.2
Parsley 1 tablespoon 0.1
Peppers ½ cup/raw 2.3
Radicchio ½ cup/raw 0.7
Radishes 10/raw 0.9
Romaine lettuce ½ cup 0.2

The following vegetables are slightly higher in carbs than the salad vegetables listed above. They also provide important nutrients and add variety to your daily foods. Make sure you stay within the 12-15 grams of net carbs. Unless otherwise noted, measure these veggies after you cook them.
Vegetable Serving Size/ Prep Net Carbs
Artichoke ¼ of medium 4.0
Asparagus 6 spears 2.4
Artichoke hearts 1 canned
Avocadoes 1 whole (raw) 3.5
Bamboo shoots 1 cup canned
Broccoli
½ cup 1.6
Broccoli raw ½ cup 1.0
Broccoli rabe ½ cup 1.3
Broccoflower ½ cup 1.4
Brussels sprouts ¼ cup
Cabbage ½ cup (raw) 2.0
Cauliflower ½ cup (raw) 1.0
Swiss chard ½ cup
Collard greens ½ cup
Eggplant ½ cup
Hearts of palm 1 heart 0.7
Kale ½ cup 2.4
Kohlrabi ½ cup 4.6
Leeks ¼ cup
Okra ½ cup
Olives green 5 2.5
Olives black 5 0.7
Onion ¼ cup (raw) 2.8
Pumpkin ¼ cup
Rhubarb ½ cup (unsweetened) 1.7
Sauerkraut ½ cup (drained) 1.2
Peas ½ cup with pods 3.4
Spaghetti squash ½ cup
Spinach ½ cup (raw) 0.2
Summer squash ½ cup
Tomato 1 (raw) 4.3
Turnips ½ cup
Water chestnuts ½ cup (canned) 6.9
Zucchini ½ cup

Salad Garnishes
Crumbled bacon 3 slices 0.0
Hard-boiled egg 1 egg 0.0
Grated cheeses (see above carb counts)
Sautéed mushrooms ½ cup 1.0
Sour cream 2 tbs 1.2

Herbs and Spices (make sure they contain no added sugar)
Basil 1 tbs 0.0
Cayenne pepper 1 tbs 0.0
Cilantro 1 tbs 0.0
Dill 1 tbs 0.0
Garlic 1 clove 0.9
Ginger 1 tbs sliced root 0.8
Oregano 1 tbs 0.0
Pepper 1 tbs 0.0
Rosemary 1 tbs 0.0
Sage 1 tbs 0.0
Tarragon 1 tbs 0.0

Salad Dressings - Any prepared salad dressing with no added sugar and no more then 2 grams of net carbs per serving (1-2 tablespoons) is acceptable. Or make your own.
Blue cheese 2 tbs 2.3
Caesar 2 tbs 0.5
Italian 2 tbs 3.0
Lemon juice 2 tbs 2.8
Oil and vinegar 2 tbs 1.0
Ranch 2 tbs 1.4

Fats and Oils

There are no carbs here, but keep in mind that the serving size is approximately 1 tablespoon.

1. Butter
2. Mayonnaise – make sure it has no added sugar
3. Olive oil
4. Vegetable oils – Those labeled “cold pressed” or “expeller pressed” are especially good and olive oil is one of the best.
* Canola*
* Walnut
* Soybean*
* Grape seed*
* Sesame
* Sunflower*
* Safflower*

*Do not allow any oils to reach overly high temperatures when cooking. Use olive oil for sautéing only. Use walnut or sesame oil to dress cooked veggies or salad, but not for cooking.

Artificial Sweeteners

* Splenda – one packet equals 1 gram of net carbs

Beverages

* Clear broth/ bouillon (make sure it has no sugars added)
* Club soda
* Cream, heavy or light.
* Decaffeinated or regular coffee and tea*
* Diet soda (be sure to note the carb count)
* Flavored seltzer (must say no calories)
* Herb tea (without added barley or fruit sugar added)
* Water – at least eight 8-ounce glasses per day including...
o Filtered water
o Mineral water
o Spring water
o Tap water

* You may have 1 to 2 cups of caffeinated tea or coffee if you can tolerate caffeine without experiencing cravings or symptoms of hypoglycemia. If you are truly addicted to caffeine, it's best to break the habit during the Induction.

Alcohol:

Alcohol is not allowed during the first two weeks of Induction. If you remain on this phase longer, you can have a glass of wine, a low-carb beer, or a small amount of spirits mixed with water or club soda, but be sure to avoid mixers that contain carbs, including fruit juices and tonic water. Understand that consuming alcohol may slow your weight loss.
  #52   ^
Old Tue, Nov-24-09, 21:48

BF:

Quote:
BREAKING NEWS BREAKING NEWS BREAKING NEWS
Today is such a great day! Today marks my 2 week starting the atkins diet time. I lost 26 pounds in 2 weeks!! im thinking it could have been more cause my first week i was doing it wrong. I didn't eat bread or pasta or sugar, but i did max out on fruits! I went the whole first week doing so, then I thought to myself this is too easy, so I looked into it a lil deeper and thats when I found out I was doing it wrong. I didn't stop dieting but I did change it up and went the right way about it. and I am also walking all but 2 days a week. I started at 309 and today I'm 282. I'm thinking now to just include fruits and just keep walking and the weight will go away. I still have yet to get a book to tell me just how to keep the weight going down. So if anyone know anything I know you'll let me know cause WEGOTDIS!

wegotdis wegotdis wegotdis
  #53   ^
Old Fri, Dec-18-09, 15:49

BF:

RELEASED! RELEASED!
I saw my doc today and she was impressed at my readings and asked what I was doing. I told her I had been walking. She gave me that yeah right look so i told her about that fateful night. After a few questions and what not, her own words were, "wow Reggie! thats good! KEEP RUNNING!!" However she didnt take the blood pressure pill away. I could tell she thinks I'm gonna stop. I went on and told her about the pains in my legs. She told me just whats going on and even touch them to show me. Shin splints is what she called it. So she just said I was going at it too hard right now and to give more rest to my legs. I will listen cause the pains almost had me not walking on a late run I did. So I will rest, but won't stop! She just don't know I'm on a mission and WEGOTDIS!! Feel me??
  #54   ^
Old Fri, Dec-18-09, 18:34

BF:

Quote:
RELEASED! RELEASED!
I saw my doc today and she was impressed at my readings and asked what I was doing. I told her I had been walking. She gave me that yeah right look so i told her about that fateful night. After a few questions and what not, her own words were, "wow Reggie! thats good! KEEP RUNNING!!" However she didnt take the blood pressure pill away. I could tell she thinks I'm gonna stop. I went on and told her about the pains in my legs. She told me just whats going on and even touch them to show me. Shin splints is what she called it. So she just said I was going at it too hard right now and to give more rest to my legs. I will listen cause the pains almost had me not walking on a late run I did. So I will rest, but won't stop! She just don't know I'm on a mission and WEGOTDIS!! Feel me??

I feel ya!
  #55   ^
Old Wed, Dec-23-09, 02:11
Registered Member

Plan: gi
Stats: 177/130/125 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
thanx brpssm! Walking is what I will do. I think I may get some weights and strap them around my ankles just to make it harder. Hopefully it will be something like the feeling that running gives. I'm just stuck with what running does. I hope walking will do the same. This way come thanksgiving I can be me.

Hi wegotdis

Hope I'm not too late with this - I wouldn't recommend the weights round your ankles when walking - you risk straining your ankles, knees and hips if you do that - and you could do some serious damage to ligaments and tendons.

If you want to increase the intensity, you'd be better off carrying a rucksack on your back with some extra weight in - like a few bags of sugar or a bag of potatos. Don't put anything in there that's hard (like a brick) as it could hurt your back.
  #56   ^
Old Wed, Dec-23-09, 12:19

BF:

Lornab!
Hi. Thanx for the love but yeah I'm past that already but maybe its(the weights) is the reason why I'm down now. My doc says its shin splints. which are caused by going at it too hard so maybe thats the reason for the down time, I dont know. Are you in the Rock also?
  #57   ^
Old Tue, Feb-23-10, 02:01

Stats: 273/265/150 Female 5 foot 7
BF:
Progress: 7%

Hi everyone,
I hope I am ok posting here to ask for some advice?
I just read through this thread and have to say well done, Wegotdis! You sound like your doing so so well, I hope your still doing so well!

I am 255lb and I would love to run. I have the wii fit plus and I try and do 15 minutes of slow running 5 times a week but after reading this, I don't know if I should be doing that? There is also on the wii fit a stepping activity. I don't mind this but the running gets my heartbeating and the stepping just aches my legs. I really enjoy the running too.

I do try and get out and walk but I have a little boy and as it's been snowing I cannot push the pushchair in the snow so we are in most days.

Also, I get ache in the muscles at the bottom back of my legs (The calf muscles I think?!) but it goes pretty quick after finishing.
I do have a weird ankle that hurts sometimes but thats not because of the running. Also, My right foot kind of swells up sometimes if I walk a lot but not much when I run.
I am going to see the doctor about this. I saw one about my ankle but they said nothing was wrong.

I also have high blood pressure and on medication but I don't feel lightheaded or dizzy after exercising.
  #58   ^
Old Tue, Feb-23-10, 09:13

BF:

"I am 255lb and I would love to run. I have the wii fit plus and I try and do 15 minutes of slow running 5 times a week but after reading this, I don't know if I should be doing that? "

What made you think that? You are already doing it! I started running at 240 and, while I have had injuries common to runners, even thin runners get injured frequently if they do things wrong. You are doing great - 15 minutes five days a week is very respectable.

I weight 225 right now and I just raced five miles on Saturday. You can do it!
  #59   ^
Old Tue, Feb-23-10, 14:02
Give A Damn

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 293/234.4/175 Female 5' 5 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

What was your time? Just for comparison sake

#60   ^
Old Tue, Feb-23-10, 15:55

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NixCarbos
What was your time? Just for comparison sake

Do you mean my time? 1:01:20 but I have a busted gut (torn ab muscle). My best time for that course was 54:59. Slow, but I get the job done!