Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 10:28
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%
Talking A BIG Welcome to our new PP Members

Hello there everyone! It's great to see you all here breathing new life into our PP Forum.

I'm coming around with the Welcome Wagon and pointing out a few features about our board.

One of the features that our members really enjoy - no matter what plan they're following is our Journals Forum. Your friends can visit and it's a good place to make new friends.

One of our most viewed areas is the Kitchen Forum which is chock full of great recipes.

We also have special forums for heart disease, fibromyalgia, PCOS etc.

This Forum does have a lot of Atkins members but that's no reason to be shy. If you travel around, you'll get the experience of many instead of a few.

BTW, I've been a PP follower for 4+ years and love the plan. I can probably learn some things from YOU.

Once again, welcome. We're glad you're here.

Karen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 10:48

Plan: PP
Stats: 264/255.2/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 10%

Thank you and thanks for some of those recipes of yours I've been looking at, especially that zucchini jack bake.
Elaine
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 10:51

Plan: Protein Power maintenance
Stats: 18/12/10 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the warm welcome Karen I have been lurking around a bit already trying to become more familiar with all the forums here. I haven't visited the journals forum yet but will try to get over there today. I started out on Atkins this past January and swtiched to PP in April.

Thanks again for the warm welcome
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 12:21

Plan: ALOT of salads,veggies ec
Stats: 180/160/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 50%

Thanks for the welcome, it is always refreshing to read others ideas and thoughts on pp and low carbing! I had been a WW person for many years, then went to Atkins, and now have been doing PP for around 7 months or so, I have decided that lc is the best way to go for me and hope think that these sites are wonderfull for support and info!
ps. I LOVE all of the variety of smilies!!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 18:36

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

What a nice welcome. Thanks, Karen, for the kind words.

I have to say, I'm a little overwhelmed with the wealth of information you have here! I just don't even know where to start. I've been poking around a bit here and there, and have hit the recipes, for sure! DH travels a lot, so I'm always on the lookout for casseroles and other dishes that can be made once and then put in individual servings for lunches and dinners.

What a great WOL this is, huh? Other people get to have Cheerios in the morning. Me? If I want a small steak, you bet I'm gonna have it. A leftover pork chop? You bet! And my lunches beat everything anyone else has ever brought to the lunchroom. Those people who say they're bored eating the same things day after day are missing so much.

It's all about choices, you know? (Preaching to the choir, I know!) Either you're going to do this or not. I have several friends at work who complain about their weight, and yet no diet seems to work for them. Fact is, they don't work for the diet. They talk and talk about their WW points and how "good" they've been, all the while munching on the pastries that someone brought in to work that day.

You get out of it what you put into it. Simple as that.

It's so great to be here. I'm looking forward to keeping up my knowledge of this WOL and learning more all the time.

Thanks again for the warm welcome!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 22:02

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 255/230/140 Female 5'6
BF:63%
Progress: 22%

Thanks for that welcome!! I love this WOE so far, and this forum is a wealth of information.....thanks for that!

Robin
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 03:25

Plan: Low-Cal - good carbs
Stats: 235/229/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Hi Karen

for the warm welcome.

Like BawdyWench, I'm in awe of the amount of information available and the features here. I haven't explored the journal and kitchen yet,but will do so this weekend.

Thanks for the info on special forums for those with health problems. I need to go check those out. I have many health challenges due to some serious traumatic injuries over a decade ago.

Orang - LC since 1/2003 - PP since 5/2003

Last edited by Orang : Sat, Nov-01-03 at 03:55.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 23:49

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default Hello

I am generally on the Atkins site and I neglect the other boards. That is bad . I want to know about all of the low carb plans but, I have made Atkins a habit. I began this diet at 162 lbs ( not 161, I will change that one day ). While on Induction I lost 1/2 lb. per day. I had to deal with a lengthy stall, however, I remained consistant and managed to have a whoosh in August. All in all I lost 25 lbs I have a little more than 10 lbs left to lose before reaching my goal. In my stats, I have 130 lbs as my goal weight, but I have since changed my mind to achieve my old weight of 125 healthy lbs.

In the meantime, I have become such and advocate for the low-carb high- protein way of eating. Recently I read the article called Guts and Grease, which was about a mighty nation of people who lived a much more exteme protein diet than us. They had stronger bones, straighter teeth, women had easier childbirths and they healed easily from serious wounds. The average Native American could chase after the same deer all day long without exhaustion. After they were forced to eat the "typical American" diet, their bodies weakened and diabetes raised its nasty little head.

Anytime someone tells me that low carb is bad for you I discuss this article with conviction. Whenever, I hear that there has not been any long term studies on high protein diets I say that the Native American did this long term. As soon as they began incorporating high carb diets they had to deal with diabetes, obesity
and weakness. The mighty eagle had suffered its fatal wound.

When i talk about this there is silence. I only hope that it makes naysayers to take a step back and think about what I say to them.

Black57

Last edited by black57 : Sun, Nov-02-03 at 11:44.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 08:33

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 255/230/140 Female 5'6
BF:63%
Progress: 22%

Black57

Sounds like you are doing great!! This is my first time low carbing, and I have been doing this for a little over a week, and I love it! It is a bit strange to get used to eating all this protein and actually losing weight - I lost 5 lbs the first week

That article sounds interesting - is there a URL for it? I have read that about the eskimos and indians also.

Maybe one day the tide will turn

Robin
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 08:38

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Black, it goes back a whole lot further than the Native Americans. Humans evolved eating protein. We have millions of years of evolution devoted to eating protein as our main food source. It's only been in the past 10,000 years that people started relying on grain sources. That's not nearly long enough for the human body to make the necessary evolutionary changes for us to extract our vital nutrients from grain.

Studies have been done on Australian Aborigines. Living in the wild, they enjoy good health because of their naturally low-carb diets. When they are subjected to a modern high-carb diet, they quickly develop severe insulin resistance. Just a few weeks back in the wild and they reverse these disorders.

If you're interested, and it sounds like you are, I urge you to read the books "Protein Power" and "Protein Power Lifeplan." The Drs. Eades tell all kinds of interesting facts like this. Another example is early humans. Prior to agriculture, human bones are thick and strong, the people were taller, their teeth had virtually no sign of decay. Enter agriculture, and it's a different story. Studies of Egyptian mummies show brittle bones, arthritis (for the first time in the historical record), decayed teeth and teeth worn down past the enamel because of the grain-based diet.

The more you read, the more you'll be convinced that this is the way we should be eating.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 11:36

BF:

Yeah, I realize that it goes back further. But, it is much easier for people to understand when you use a group of people that they can really relate to. The article also mentions that the Native Americans are considering to lobby the government against this so that they can pursue foods that are conducive to their good health. In other words they want to be able to hunt, freely, on their God-given land. The research paper is so very long but I think that I will run it off and make copies to hand out at work.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 11:41

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinBeBe
Black57

Sounds like you are doing great!! This is my first time low carbing, and I have been doing this for a little over a week, and I love it! It is a bit strange to get used to eating all this protein and actually losing weight - I lost 5 lbs the first week

That article sounds interesting - is there a URL for it? I have read that about the eskimos and indians also.

Maybe one day the tide will turn

Robin

Here is the artcle that you can click onto.

http://www.westonaprice.org/traditi..._americans.html
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 11:50

BF:

BawdyWench, I am very interested and I will get those books. Barnes and Noble is on the agenda today so I will look for one of the books. I can not tell you how much it it really irks me to see people believe something that just ain't true. They can eat all of the carbs they want but don't tell me that this woe is unhealthy.

Oh, BTW, I am down a pound today.

Black57
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 19:38

BF:
Default I got it!!!

I have the PP book. I am enjoying it. I wish I had it when I began Atkins because there was a man sitting at a table in the cafeteria. He was complaining to his friends about his high cholesterol and how the Dr. has been trying everything to get it down to no success. I knew that a low carb diet would have helped him and this book would have been good to show him.

Black57