Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-10-02, 06:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/184/130 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress: 36%
Default Use of other meds along with Met.?

I hope someone can help me. I feel so frustrated! I began taking met. on 4/12/02, and am very slowly working my way up to 1500mg per day. (I'm currently at 1000 mgs). I have seen no benefit from this so far, and wonder if I ever will! The only thing I notice is the urgent need to excuse myself to the ladies room after eating - especially the first meal of any given day.

Question 1
Does this side effect ever go away? If so, when?

I am struggling with uncontrollable carbohydrate cravings. I am not having any success at all with sticking to the LC WOE. I am so depressed, because I know I must - but I seem to have no control. This is so unlike me under ordinary circumstances, and I have done the LC WOE semi-long term in the past, I just can't seem to find my way back. The more I think about it, the harder it becomes to get there.

Question 2
Does anyone out there know of an additional medication that is safe to take along with the metformin that would work to help suppress either carbohydrate cravings, or surpress appetite all together?

I feel so deflated. I would appreciate it so much if someone would reply to this post. Not only do I need the moral support, I really don't know where else to turn to get this information.

Elizabeth
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-10-02, 17:40

Stats: 205/200/140
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default Don't get discouraged, Elizabeth!

I was surfing and looking up atkins/pcos/metformin and I found your post(s).

I just wanted to pop in and encourage you regarding Atkins - I just got back on it myself after, oh - about two years now??? lol I had lost something like 40lbs then got cocky and carbo loaded... for yah, about two years! Ugh. Back up to (almost) max, I've decided to get serious. I have another incentive (besides my "fat clothes" getting so tight)and that is we're trying to get pregnant. Pooter is my cat. hehe

I'm 32, I'll be 33 in July and that clock is a tickin'.

Anyway, I found a great place for some great encouragement and I thought you may be interested.

www.escribe.com/health/atkins/bb/

Lots of people posting every day, they are totally willing to answer questions, and you can search topics that have been discussed. I'm pootersmom there too.

Regarding uncontrollable carbo cravings. Honey, I HEAR ya! Those last two years were all about carbo craving! Big time. I have always been a meat eater, big into protein, but after going off atkins that last time I went completely 180. Breads, pastas, you name it. What I did this time is take a week, eat all the garbage I wanted, carbod out, then shopped for all of the atkins goodies and here I am. Day 8 and NOT craving carbs! I think it was day 3 or 4 when I realized I didn't even WANT cookies or candies! My secret is this: Heavy whipping cream. Oh yeah - Diet jello with heavy whipping cream, diet pudding with cream, splenda sweetened soda with cream... Girl, you'll feel downright indulgent! Protein, cheese, veggies, and a creamy dessert will keep those carb needs at bay. Truly!

Okay, so the metformin continually gives me problems, but I think that's when I'm eating carbs. My *excuse me* diarrhea is more than likely caused by the cream and cheese since I'm somewhat lactose intolerant.

I'm also taking generic, which makes me wonder how much it's working, but I'll deal with that later. Right now, I'm pumped and moving forward.

Pootersmom

Hope to talk more with you!

PS: You've got 2 young children - Did the PCOS not affect your fertility? What a blessing!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-02, 06:59

Stats: 215/184/130 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress: 36%
Default Other meds w/ met.

Just thought I'd drop by to update my post. I went to me Dr. and she upped my met. dosage to 1500mg. I don't know if it is coincidence or due to the change, but I have been having a very upset tummy since then. I've even lost 3-4 pounds in the last 6 days.

As for the "other" medication, the doc says that I can take Xenical and gave me a script. I had it filled, too, but I don't want to introduce anything that can upset my stomach even further than it currently is, so I haven't taken even one, yet.

I also have some concerns as to it's effectiveness for me in particular due to the fact that it is a fat blocker and prohibits up to 30% of dietary fat from being digested. If I go "all the way" on this WOE, I will be eating lots of fat, and not much carbs - which is contradictory to the way this medicine is supposed to be taken. (Low-fat, high carb). Or, will it work even better because I will be in keytosis, AND getting rid of a large percentage of the fat I'm consuming at the same time.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY INSIGHT ON THESE CONCERNS?

Thanks for your support,

-Elizabeth