Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-28-14, 20:48

Plan: Moderate
Stats: 120/105/110 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 150%
Default LDL p and ApoB

Hi there, I started to go "moderate carb" after discovering that my hereditarily high trigs (760!) went down dramatically (69) after doing an elimination diet for my migraines. The problem is that I was eating hardly anything when my numbers were great and hungry all time, losing weight. I'm a pescatarian so I can't really go super low carb but my great scores were when I was hardly eating any fat or sugar.

Since then I've been obsessed with finding the right foods to keep my cholesterol good but it seems to be getting worse? My doc is worried about my small LDL count and my recent Apo B score. She thinks that I've got something wrong with my gut in addition to hereditary issues that makes me unable to process fats. But I'm seriously sick of thinking about this constantly!

I'm hoping someone can help me figure out if I'm worrying about nothing, here are my numbers:

7/2013:

LDL p 1845
LDL c. 158
Hdl. 57
Trig. 69
Chol total. 229
Hdl p. 23.9
Sm LDL p. 584
LDL size. 21.1
Lp ir score. 26

5/2014

Lipoprotein a. 12
Apo B. 119
LDL p 2344
LDL c. 136
Hdl. 42
Trig. 130
Chol total. 204
Hdl p. 24
Sm LDL p. 1736
LDL size. 19.8
Lp ir score. 54

Thanks for your help!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-29-14, 08:19
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

What're you eating? Eating low carb, not semi-low, is probably what your body wants. It is carbs, not fats, that spin out triglycerdies. Every meal you eat carbs, adds onto the last meal you ate carbs, nudging them higher and higher.

Are you still eating grains? Especially wheat. That'll raise your triglycerides more than almost anything.

There are loads of great low carb veggies. Ideally you'd eat lots of fatty meat, eggs, fats like coconut oil, saturated fats, etc and that'll bring down the Trigs and raise the HDL. There are tons of LC veggies too: Cruciferous veggies, cukes, leafy greens, and so on.

You might enjoy the book "Wheat Belly" he talks about ways of lower triglycerides and he's a cardiologist, so he knows what he is talking about.

Also, intermittent fasting, might also help. The longer between meals, the more time your body has to clear out triglycerides it created from the last carb-laden meal. So increasing your overnight fasting time and shortening your eating window should help a lot. You can eat a lot, but just less frequently.

But fats don't have that sort of impact on triglycerides. It is carbs.

Quote:
I'm a pescatarian so I can't really go super low carb

Not sure I buy that, but you will need to eat lots of fish. How about eggs?

Last edited by Nancy LC : Thu, May-29-14 at 09:04.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-31-14, 00:06

BF:

Thanks for the reply Nancy LC! I was actually not as concerned about my trigs as I was about my Small LDL and my APO B. I'm wondering if those I should be concerned about.

My trigs being around normal is good for me because of my inherited condition. As for what I'm eating, I've actually been eating LESS CARBS than I was back then. I don't eat grains now, I eat fish, lots of eggs, beans, fats etc. I know all about the carbs causing trigs to go down but what do you make of the small LDL going up and the high rate of inflamation since I'm actually eating more LC and high protein now?
I was thinking about it yesterday and the main might be that back then I was exercising a lot more. Doing yoga 3-4xs a week and walking a lot. I never thought exercise could play that much of a role but I guess maybe it has with me?
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-31-14, 05:22

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The "small unforgiving LDL particles" are also impacted by what and how many carbs you ate in the days before the blood draw.

http://www.cureality.com/blog/post/...-particles.html

The wild swings in that number was also mentioned by Mark Sisson in his article about advanced testing. Maybe is was just a "higH ApoB" day?
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-.../#axzz1hrGjWgjS

After reading Dr Davis's article, DH and I are very careful about what we eat five days before a blood draw. We have had multiple NMR tests and still get strange swings in that LDL, to the point of questioning its reliability if we can manipulate the answer with a few days of food.

Your IR score is something to watch, maybe a reaction to the starchy legumes, or since it is worked off the other six Lp markers, maybe that too is temporary?
http://www.liposcience.com/sites/de...rect_Report.pdf

What do you mean that you are unable to process fat? Physically? Have you looked into a specific carbohydrate diet to help digest healthy fats? Eating fats and avoiding carbs works to achieve "good cholesterol". Suggest the book Cholesterol Clarity for a simple lay version of how to read the advanced tests and what natural food and exercise methods optimize lipid tests.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, May-31-14 at 05:44.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-31-14, 05:46

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

The best way of dealing with cholesterol is to not bother getting tested!

Jo xxx
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-31-14, 11:59

BF:

Thanks everyone! That's helpful, I'm reading Cholesterol Clarity right now, I'm thinking that maybe I'm stressing too much about this whole thing!!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-14, 03:09

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Sounds like a plan! I'm reading the new book, The Big Fat Surprise, and the more I learn about how the idea that cholesterol has anything to do heart health came about, the less relevant it becomes. I'd do like Jo except I have a battery of necessary tests every year, not Dr. Westman, but other docs.
If you do follow Cholesterol Clarity advice, you may improve that Trig/HDL ratio even more.
Consider reading some LC and Paleo/primal books about how to improve digestive issues or other symptoms you actually have, not just blood marker numbers from a lab. Wheat Belly is great, and Paleo Solution, both cover fats and digestion issues arising from grains.