Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Breakfast Ideas
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-01, 04:24

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 171/135/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 116%
Default Protein Bars

I found this recipe for Protein Bars; Looking at it I would imagine you could substitute Davinci Syrup for the Tornai if you could not locate it...

1 square unsweetened baker's chocolate
2 Tbls. butter
2 Tbls. heavy cream
3 pkts Equal (I used Splenda)
3 scoops (1 cup) Chocolate Designer Protein (or any other chocolate whey protein)
1 cup chopped peanuts (I used 1 1/4 cup chopped pecans)
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut (hence the above!)
2 Tbls. Sugar Free Torani Syrup or maple syrup (or water, in a pinch...) --I used the maple syrup, as that, our market had!

Melt choc and butter in mike 1 min; stir until completely melted. Add Equal and heavy cream and stir til creamy. Add protein powder, peanuts, coconut and stir till mixed pretty well, add syrup (or water), and mix thoroughly(you may have to knead with your handsat this point, as mixture will be very stiff). Line a bread loaf pan with plastic wrap and press in mixture firmly and evenly. Chill till firm. Cut into 6 bars. These were huge, so I made it into 9 bars.

Approx 5 carbs/15 grams protein per 1/6 recipe.

Bonnie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-01, 08:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default Bars

This looks good Bonnie..I make one similiar using strawberry powder and coconut. I really like that combination.

Sometimes when I make them I cut them in bars and put them in zip-loc bags and freeze. Then when I want a snack to take to work or to a ballgame or wherever, I have something ready.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-01, 10:51
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Cool thankyou Bonnie

I tried a recipe something like this before. They really are GOOD folks, and cheaper and tastier than the bars you buy. Plus, no glycerine, maltitol or sorbitol ... or sawdust, which is what some of them taste like... ... I too found them large and very filling, and so divided the recipe into 8 or 9 portions.

Try to keep them cold, otherwise they travel okay in a lunch bag or backpack but can be a bit melty-messy to eat. Have a napkin handy, or use the plastic (or whatever) you wrapped it in to hold onto it while munching.

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-09, 22:45

Stats: 163/148/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 45%

I limit myself to one bar a day but the prices outrageous so tomorrow I will give this a try. I only have pineapple or vanilla powder so I will let you know how it goes.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-09, 14:12

Plan: general LC
Stats: 202/144/135 Female 62 inches
BF:grr, no i FF
Progress: 87%

ok this sounds delicious! i've been contemplating the mass market bars for a few months, but the prices and carb counts kill me. one question: do you need to use the powdered splenda, or could you use the liquid sweetener instead?

if the recipe doesn't need the bulk of the powder, you could save some carbs by using the liquid, right?
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-09, 01:04

Stats: 163/148/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 45%

crease-i think you would be fine using the liquid splenda. I used 2 packets of stevia which still made it too sweet. I thought next time i will add dome almond butter and maybe a dew sf chocolate chips.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-09, 15:20

Plan: general LC
Stats: 202/144/135 Female 62 inches
BF:grr, no i FF
Progress: 87%

i made these and they are yummy! we didn't have any nuts in the house, but the concensus is that nuts would make it even better. i used liquid sweetener instead of powdered.

one question tho - these are almost fudge like in texture. is that how they are supposed to be? oh, and i got 7 from my "loaf" i'm almost tempted to go buy some almonds and make another batch for the week.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-09, 15:42

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Here's another recipe that sounds good, halfway down the page (not the candy recipe):

http://healthyindulgences.blogspot..../protein%20bars

I haven't tried it but I have tried several of her other things with good success. She is known on this forum as lcstudent.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-09, 15:49

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

This is another I want to try:

http://www.elanaspantry.com/snacks/power-bars/
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-09, 21:40

Plan: LC since 1/15/09
Stats: 317/278/217 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Thanks so much for bumping this. I was trying to figure out a way to make protein bars without adding cereal. I am not a cook so things like making stuff stick together eludes me.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-25-12, 09:17

Plan: atkins
Stats: 177/162/150 Female 5 ft 8''
BF:molto/grande/pico
Progress: 56%

this looks good i'm going to try it today!