Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-08, 11:11
Registered Member

Plan: PPL Hedonist
Stats: 163/138.5/135 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 88%
Default Hello! Anybody still doing this WOE?

I'm still waiting for my books to come from Amazon, but I think from what I've read, this will be my chosen food plan.
I sure hope I'm not going to be odd woman out here.
Is there someplace else where you all congregate? I checked out the official site, and it seems even quieter than here.
Anyhow, glad to be here, and howdy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-08, 13:59

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Lots of us hang out here, but on the General LC and Atkins threads since they are much more active and include similar information. Or the Paleo thread if we are so inclined.

The PP books will give you the Eades' website address: http://www.proteinpower.com - they have a discussion forum (not as active as lowcarber.org) and their blogs are great too.

But I spend more time on this lowcarber.org forum than anywhere else.

Last edited by deirdra : Wed, Jul-30-08 at 14:09.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-08, 14:07

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Yeah, I've mostly been hanging out on the General Low Carb board, the Paleo board, my journal, or hopping all over the site via "new posts." I'm still here on the board, though I haven't been starting new threads on the PP forum and there haven't been any other threads here for me to respond to.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-08, 15:15
Registered Member

Plan: PPL Hedonist
Stats: 163/138.5/135 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 88%

I'm still waiting for my books, but making a shopping list from Dana Carpender's 500 low carb recipe book.
I live only about 100 miles from Bob's Red Mill, so his products are readily available in my regular grocery stores.
Fred Meyers even has them in bulk bins, so I can just buy a bit at a time instead of having to take out a second mortgage on the trailer
I'll check out the General LC. Thanks.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-08, 02:13

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 216/166/150 Female 60 inches
BF:45%/33.5%/28%
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monklet
I checked out the official site, and it seems even quieter than here.

hmm....the forum on the 'official site' (the Drs. Eadeses' website) averages between 45 and 60 posts per day, nearly all focused on PP (some are in the off-topic forum as well, but they're in the minority.) Not sure when you last visited--new threads and reply posting on the weekends does tend to be a little slower than weekday posting, so if you found it 'slow,' you may want to check it out at a different time of the week. And if you have specific questions and can't find a current discussion that addresses them, jump in and post! Posting always helps gauge how active the forum truly is.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-08, 19:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/161/155 Female 5'6
BF:don't u ask
Progress: 93%

I have been looking thru this thread and have been trying to figure out what the diff. is between this and atkins. I was wondering just how you would explain the differences to someone who was interested in trying? I've done atkins previously and did well..have started again after falling off and gaining 20lbs back. Is it much different than atkins?
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-08, 12:15

Plan: Just clean eatin'
Stats: 215/185/145 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 43%

I think the main differences are that
1.) PP does not limit the types of carbs in the Intervention phase. You are allowed 10-15 grams per meal of any kind of carb. Obviously, Dr. Eades shuns white flour, sugar, white rice, and potatoes.
2.) Alcohol is allowed, but he recommends lower-carb ones like vodka or scotch.
3.) The Intervention phase lasts for the entire weight loss period; then you increase carb intake from 20-40 a day to 55-60 a day until you stop losing weight. From there, you tinker with your diet to see how many carbs you can handle and still maintain.

I think those are the basics. It's been a while, though, so if someone has read the book recently and has more to add, please do!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-08, 18:40

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 150/140/140 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainecyn
I have been looking thru this thread and have been trying to figure out what the diff. is between this and atkins. I was wondering just how you would explain the differences to someone who was interested in trying? I've done atkins previously and did well..have started again after falling off and gaining 20lbs back. Is it much different than atkins?
IMHO, the difference is mainly on emphasis not the underlying principles and goals. To say it another way, it is like comparing two different coaches in football, where one emphasizes offense, the other defense. YET their goal is the same, put more points on the score board than the other team. And they both have to work within the same rules.

Atkins and Eades, both are all about the best health that a person can have through a proper diet. Atkins gives you directions for each road to use and turn to make, like a AAA trip tick or mapquest directions, that shows you pretty much how to proceed each step of the way. Eades, on the other hand, gives you a compass and a package of all the maps in the state, region, nation, world, and lets you determine your own exact path after teaching you how to use the compass and maps.

Some people do better being told exactly what to do and some do better being taught the underlying principles of good dietary practice and how each thing effects your health.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
Lots of us hang out here,
<clip>But I spend more time on this lowcarber.org forum than anywhere else.
deirdra ! Your kitty has grown UP! I like his/her intense expression.