Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-23-01, 09:52
Registered Member

Plan: thinking on it
Stats: 165/157/130
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default more progress would be nice

Well, I'm pleased to report that I went back to the gym yesterday after a two week hiatus. During those two weeks I didn't weigh myself, and I was really looking forward to seeing a significant drop. When I got on the scales yesterday after my workout, I was pleased to see some results, but disappointed to see that I've only dropped 5 pounds. I've been at this for 5 weeks! Am I doing something wrong? I'm trying to stay away from hard cheeses, nuts and fruit. I think that the only carbs I'm getting are from my veg, and I'm even careful about them. 18% cream in decaf coffee. Is something else sneaking in there?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-23-01, 12:12

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Have you started a journal and posted your meals? That is a great way to get input on your menus. 5 pounds in 5 weeks is not an unheard of number - I lost 3 pounds in the first 2 week induction then a pound a week after that. Are you drinking your water? It really is important. Also, if you have been exercising at the gym, you could be gaining some lean muscle weight. You might have actually lost 8 pounds of fat but gained 3 pounds of muscle, the scales would only show the 5 pound difference. Did you measure yourself at the beginning? Measurements are sometimes a more accurate way to measure your progress, as muscle is denser than fat and takes up much less room.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-23-01, 12:30
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks, I guess I should start a journal - it just seems kind of time consuming... Out of curiosity, what rate are other people losing at?
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-23-01, 12:38

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

The journal thing is not all that time consuming. You don't have a lot of weight to lose . You really can't compare your rate of loss with anyone else. Someone who has 100 pounds to lose may lose 3% of their fat each week, which would amount to about 3 pounds. You, only having 30 pounds to lose, 3% would only be .9 pound. Have faith that the fat will come off in the amount of time necessary for your body.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-24-01, 10:05
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb

hi poobean,

I agree with Atriana, your 5 lbs in 5 weeks is a good average, and not slow at all. Your stats show a 2 lb loss ... Is the 5 lbs your total loss? or have you actually dropped 7 lbs? That's good, and if so, congrats to you...

The spectacular 10 lbs-a-week losses are normally experienced by persons who have a lot of weight to lose in the first place, are younger, male and/or have never dieted before. Even so, their rate of loss will slow down after the initial period, to an average of 1 to 2% per week.

Those who are true "slow losers" (or Unhurried Winners as I like to say) ... are losing, but at a consistently slow rate, 1 or 2 lbs per MONTH or less, over the long term.

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-24-01, 21:15
Registered Member

BF:
Default thanks guys!

I'm spending the evening alone - hubby is up north - kids are staying at sleep-overs... instead of having a pity-party for myself, I cooked chicken in mushroom sauce with green beans. I'm very proud of myself - and your good words have really boosted my motivation - thanks tons!!!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-01, 14:19

Plan: Predominantly Atkins
Stats: 320/260/145
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default Wow!

PB,
Wow!!! Five pounds in five weeks! Really, that's excellent, especially for your size.

Those of use who are heavier tend to take off weight quicker on this type of thing in the beginning (I'll see - just started induction today after a 2-year haitus), but slow down more and more as we reach our goal weight.

But, if I can lose at 1 pound a week, I'll be happy At least then we can say we're not gaining, which is what I was doing for a long time before I started this.

Ah, results! Aren't they wonderful?

Sh'ra
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-01, 15:14
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Sh'ra:

Welcome back! I really admire you for jumping back on the wagon after such a long hiatus! I'm rooting for you!
Thanks tons for the words of encouragement... I never realized how important it is to get feedback from others - I always thought that dieting was meant to be suffered alone...

Take care
Poobean