Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 22:33

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Advice

Pete, some of it was great - but not knowing the plan the other person is on gets tricky. We are familiar with the Dr. B Clinic from the thread in the Comparison Forum.

Planning your menus in advance, avoiding the uncertainty of dining out, visualizing your future lean self - all good ideas. Take a peek at the comparison page if you have the time - you might find something there that you can use

Cheers,
Nat
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-02, 09:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 192/192/130 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Finally my scales have dropped. 178 lbs this morning. I didn't touch coffee or diet colas at all yesturday. Maybe that is the trick? I'm feeling much better about the weight loss. I have 32 weeks until the wedding so maybe my goal is attainable. Is it reasonable to think I can lose an average of 2 pounds per week?

Pete:
It's funny that you mentioned Bernstein 'cause I've called his 1-800 number up already twice (in June and September) but it's too expensive. Back in Spetember I had made a deal with my husband that I was going to try the diet thing on my own and if by April I had no luck then we'd consider making the investment.
How did you find his program? Was it low cal, low carb and low fat? Good luck and congratualtions on your weight loss, I noticed you 92% there.
My biggest problem is I love to eat. Hence, I'm fat! I keep using my baby as the excuse, but that's all it is, an excuse.

Sue
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-02, 09:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by susanna
My biggest problem is I love to eat. Hence, I'm fat! I keep using my baby as the excuse, but that's all it is, an excuse.

Sue, by saying this you've bought into what the low fat, high carb, calorie restricted propaganda big business is selling.

Human beings were never designed to eat refined wheat, sugar or startches - we dont have the intestinal tract for it. If we did we'd be able to eat them unrefined - like livestock does. Obesity in North America has skyrocketted in the past 20 years while memberships in fitness facilities has increased. People are more active and 'health' conscious; and yet they are also fatter.

Here's an interesting fact: the low fat, high carb diet that became so popular over the last 20 years has never been proven . It remains a theory. Nothing more. Every time someone has tried to emperically prove it they have failed. Every time they have used historical data to prove it they have failed.

If you want the exact stats and more information on how you should be eating and why pick up a copy of Protein power Lifeplan - by the Eades.

Nat
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-02, 14:09
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Nat,

Your right. I remember when I first heard about Atkins back in October 1998 I thought this is a joke. My aunt (who lives in the states) was talking to my mom and mentioned how she and her husband had started this "diet" where you can eat all the protien you want (no counting cals, or portions), cheese, real mayo, butter and oil. My remark was please, if this is the case that's the diet I want. I did end up doing Atkins then, but I must admit I was terrified I'd gain ten pounds in the first two weeks on induction, and to my suprise she (actually Atkins) was right. I didn't quite understand why it worked but all I cared was that it did work.

I must admit though, anyone you tell (if they are not on this diet) is negative towards this WOL. But my aunt is living proof that it works. She went from a 16 to a 6. She feels so good and looks amazing.

I recently (back in September) visited a nutritionist (my ob/gyn reffered me 'cause I gained too much weight during pregnancy) who works with Mount Sinai hospital (Toronto). When I told her about Atkins she just sat there and critized the plan. She said the only reason it works is 'cause you're actually eating less calories (I think she failed math). She also went on to say that I could not lose 60 pounds (maybe 40 but it would take me about 1.5 to 2 years). Since my visit with her I've lost 22 lbs and I'm out to prove her wrong. I left her office depressed and with little hope (and of course with the Canada Food Guide). I had a follow up appointment but i didn't show. I didn't need her to break my spirits. If I had known about this site I would have told her to take a look around.

I'm so glad I found you guys. Thanks Nat for your wealth of info.

Sue
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-02, 14:25
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 204/155/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 77%
Default Three-4 days

I don't know about anyone else, however, for me....
I've found that if I get on the scale more than once a week, I sabotage myself!
The natural rythm of our bodies, like the tide, also are related to the moon's cycle. Therefore, monthly, even though I've had a hyserical-me, (can't think of it any other way, I'm much less moody now!) I notice a fluctuation in my weight. I have no doubt that it's water. It only lasts for 3 or 4 days, however, if I get on the scale during that time-woe's me! I have gone as long as a month without stepping on a scale. I knew I was making progress just by the way my clothes fit. The numbers really didn't matter then.
Hang in there, believe, and remember, no matter how slow it comes off, you will be healtier!
Don't forget the water!
Murp
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-02, 14:34
Registered Member

BF:

Murp

Congratulations on your weighloss. I've noticed you've lost about 45 pounds since March 2001. Have you done Atkins the whole time?

I hear what you saying about the scales but I'm addicited to seeing that number. I weight myself at least twice a day (before bed and when I get up). Of course I also report the morning weight (it's the lowest).

What i need to do is dig out some old clothes and start measuring my progress that way. But I know they would even be big enough for my legs so I'm avoiding that until I lose 20 lbs.

sue
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-02, 19:06
Registered Member

Stats: 175/160/135
BF:
Progress: 38%

Susanna - I would suggest buying the latest Atkins book and following the guidelines exactly. I have never read any of the other versions (fortunately never needed them till now). Can't get off that baby weight.

My husband and I started Atkins for the first time on 2/4/02 - to date he has lost 12 pounds and I have lost 6. But we are meticulous about following Atkins rules.

No sugar, no aspertime, no caffine, no bread, no fruit during induction.

Your body may in fact be reacting differently due to previous diet episodes but once you get completely into induction - I believe the weight will come off.

We are both taking the supplements and I believe that is helping to minimize any withdrawal issues. I am also taking L-Glutamine for sweet cravings.

Atkins will work but there can be no cheating during induction. NONE.

Good Luck!
Judy
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-02, 21:37
Registered Member

Plan: atkins hybrid
Stats: 159/128/125 Female 63 in
BF:
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Murp

I hear what you saying about the scales but I'm addicited to seeing that number. I weight myself at least twice a day (before bed and when I get up). Of course I also report the morning weight (it's the lowest).

sue

Sue -- I totally agree with Murp. In fact, I am in "scale recovery" myself -- weighing myself daily was self defeating for me. How much I weighed in the morning totally decided what kind of day I had - I decided I had to break that cycle - so I am currently weighing myself once/wk hopefully soon to be twice/month. Don't sabotage yourself -- ditch the scales!
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 12:36

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Hi there Sue.....

First of all, let me say that you have had lots of wonderful advice and information given to you here in this thread!!

I invite you to read the beginning of my journal. It's hard for me to believe that was me now! It was a VERY rocky road and it took all of the willpower, persistance and patience I had to stay the course. One of the things that helped me stay with it was that I KNEW that unless I did it and did it exactly and for at least three months, I couldn't say that it didn't work. Anything less would have been lying to myself.

Dr Atkins says specifically that Induction MUST be followed precisely for it to work. Any little deviation is the "kiss of death" to the effect of the WOE. He also says that it's up to each of us to tweak and fiddle with the diet until we come of with the version that is exactly right for us. I have discovered for example that I cannot tolerate bacon! I suspect it's the salt and since I have cut out processed meats and anything excessively salty, I have pretty much eliminated the swings the scale used to take for me.

The importance of drinking your water cannot be over stated!! It is in fact a KEY to LC. Just keep working the diet, and once your body adjusts to the new way of fueling and to the fact that this is NOT starvation...you will begin to experience good weight loss. Another way that you can increase your ability to lose is to exercise. Increasing your muscle mass will increase your ability to burn calories. Simple math.

One final suggestion from me...How about starting a journal? I think you will find it a most useful tool and a place where the rest of us can visit you regularly and offer inspiration and information!

Keep at it! You too CAN be a LOSER!!

Marlaine

Last edited by Marlaine : Sun, Feb-10-02 at 12:53.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 19:04
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 204/155/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 77%
Default Sue

Thank you on the weight loss.
Yes I have used Atkins the entire time. That is, when I didn't cheat. The induction though, was strict. I knew that in order for it to work, I had to stick to it religiously.
My problem, is that I have never been a water drinker. I have to force myself to put the coffee away by 9:30 every am and start water. I had my biggest weight loss during the summer when drinking water was the easiest for me. I have a big 64oz tumbler at work I try to fill at least 3 times a day, however, I don't always make it. I also have a 12oz cup at home I try to drink 3 or 4 of those after I get home. Also, while bowling (when I'm not at home) I drink at least one 32oz cup of water. It's very tough for me. I occationally have a diet pepsi twist, however, I found a long time ago that carbinated drinks and my complexion don't do well together.
I agree that a Journal might help you the most. Also, if you are having problems, anyone can peruse your journal. Perhapse one of us will have had a problem you may be trying to figure out, and be able to offer advice.
This forum is the greatest idea since the low carb lifestyle!
Keep us posted,
Hang in there,
And keep drinking that (yuck) water!!!
Murp
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 14:31
Registered Member

BF:
Default Still on induction..i'm craving

Hi Everyone,

I'm still on induction but today is rough, I'm craving. I got rid of all the chocolate in the house so hopefully this craving will pass 'cause I've gone too far to quit (7 days?). I definately don't want to be set back even a day.

Marlaine, I think I'll do what you said and start a journal. I'll proubably start it some time tonight when the little one is asleep and I have more time.

Everyone thanks for the amazing support. Nat and Marlaine I took a quick look at your journals last night. Very inspiring. Would you reccomend I switch to Body for life when I'm done with induction? The oonly problem is you need to get your butt to a gym. I'm totally unmotivated these days. But your results are quite impressive.

Hopefully I'll get my journal going soon.
Sue
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 14:47

BF:

Sue, I'd recommend BFL to everyone if I could The fat loss and inches lost are great - but so are the feelings of confidence and strength that come along with them. And I have yet to work out in a gym - I have all my weights in the basement with the surround sound system!

For your cravings keep plenty of legal snacks around - be sure they are rich in protein. Your brain is craving the carbs; the serotonin the carbs produce. Your body can take excess protein and turn it into glucose and release it slowly, so as not to cause a rise in insulin, taking care of those cravings.

Hang in there - you'll be over the hump soon enough
Nat
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 14:50

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Quote:
I'm still on induction but today is rough, I'm craving. I got rid of all the chocolate in the house so hopefully this craving will pass 'cause I've gone too far to quit (7 days?). I definately don't want to be set back even a day.

Sue......

Maybe consider L-Glutamine (powder form) for the craving. It's also useful if you are going to do resistance training.

Marlaine

P.S. I'm with Nat on BFL. If an old lady like me can do it......
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 17:07
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Again,
Heck I think I'm addicted to this support group.

Hopefully I'll get to either Cosco or Chapter tonight 'cause now I'm dying to see want the BFL is all about. I read Nat's journal and went to the BFL website (from a link in the journal) and that got me curious. Nat you mentioned you have never been to the gym yet. What kinds of weights do you use? Free weight? A home gym? IF I decide to take the CHALLENGE what kind of investment am I looking at?

My husband wants to purchase a treadmill. I'm kind of sitting on the fence on this one. I'm not too fond of the treadmill (I think it's boring) but I'm sure it's one of the best pieces of equipment outhere. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

I joined a running clinic back in October (at the running club) but I was too out of shape to keep up and I quit after only 3 sessions (there was 10 sessions in all). The concept of the clinic was to teach us how to run. The first week we were incouraged to gradually work up the run/walk ratio to 10/1. I was going to start by running 1 minute and walking 10 mins the first week, then run 2 mins and walk 9 mins the second, until I got to the goal of running 10 minutes straight, but the plan fell apart quickly.
I'm hoping that I'll be able to attempt this running in the spring (it's too cold for me out there right now). I'm not much of a winter person.

By the way what kind of cardio workout works best for you?

By the way, saw my Dr. last week. He suggests I exercise 2 hours a day/ 5 days a week. Not for me!
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 17:51

BF:

Sue, samples of my workouts are in my Gym Log, which you can access here - I started BFL on November 11th. All workouts were done with dumb bells at first and then I picked up a curling bar and a barbell in december to increase weights. It is very possible to do this at home - a gym membership is NOT required

As for cardio - treadmill is best, followed by an elliptical/ski machine. Avoid a bike if you can - they don't give you as intense a workout (All this information comes from a study done in Muscle Media magazine a few months ago, BTW). The great thing about BFL cardio is that it is High Intensity Interval and it's only done for 20 minutes. No matter how much you loathe that treadmill, you can handle it for 20 minutes, right? The intervals make it interesting. They also make it the best fat burning kind of aerobic activity you can do.

There is also a BFL subforum you can check out, Sue. At the top there is a sticky with information on doing BFL a la LC - at the end of the post there are some links that you should check out.

While you're in the exercise forum check out "General exercise" for the stikies on beginners starting out - by TrainerDan. And if you've got the time browse the gym logs - Lisaf, Marlaine, Bsayne (Beth) and Pegm all have BFL journals in there.

More information than you can shake a stick at !
Nat