Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-30-11, 08:16

Plan: mindful/ketogenic-Paleo
Stats: 165/111.8/110 Female 164cm
BF:38%/21%/18%
Progress: 97%
Default How fats shifted my stall

I lose weight steadily when dieting so a two week stall is significant for me. Also, it coincided exactly with a change in diet.

I was eating moderate carbs, reduced calorie (though not actually counting) and losing about 2lbs a week for a few months.
Then I decided to get back on the Atkins plan properly and continued losing on low carbs. I actually slowed to .5lbs loss a week. Still fine of course, but I thought it odd.

Influenced by Protein Power and their ilk, I decided on doing a few days to a week of zero carbs. After the first day I put on weight. 2nd day again, 3rd day again. I think I gained about 3lbs!

I went back to low carb and have simply stalled.

I was totally confused and thinking on it came up with the idea that my body was behaving as if it was on high carbs. Not as far as cravings (appetite was still well suppressed) but with the instant weight gain. But as I had been on a meat diet (and around 1000 cals), how could that be?

It felt like my body was using protein as a sugar (I think that many LCers don't realise that a zero carb food, protein, turns into sugar in the body). I also thought how the only macronutrient that cannot be used as a sugar is fat.

Two days ago I shifted by percentages from (approx) 60-70% protein 20-30% fats 10% carbs, to (approx) 70% fat 20% protein 10% carbs.

First day I lost 1lb - Holy lipids!

Day 2: 1lb loss. - yikes
Day 3: .2lb loss - now I'm on my usual weight loss track!

My body was behaving as if it was carb-filled! You know, that super quick weight loss when you go from a carby diet to a low-carb one. Water weight.

Googling this, I found plenty of talk about it of course, including a famous diet -The Rosedale Diet. I'm not following any specific diet plan, just fiddled with my macronutrients. (google leptins if you want to geek out). Of course for every claim there is always a counter-claim - I do what works.

This might be the answer to those on long stalls or with only 10lbs to lose or if on extreme low carb for some time.
For some people, I know that carb-cycling works very well. For me it just goes up and down exactly. Too sensitive to carbs? I know I can feel perfectly happy on zero carbs whereas others need at least 40g a day to feel good.

So for someone like me, it seems like my body was determined to feed off sugars and high protein consumption made my body treat it as such. With fats, it has no choice. We all want to be in fat-burning mode but for some of us lots of protein could be stopping us from getting there fully.

I've been thinking Low Carb, Low Carb for a few years, but now my mantra might be - High Fat, Low Carb. I'll get back to you in a few weeks with progress.

Anyway, just wanted to share this in case it helps someone else. I'm sure it's been spoken about before. But helpful for a newbie.

Last edited by Nica : Sat, Apr-30-11 at 08:33.
Sponsored Links