Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-01-07, 14:26

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%
Default Hunger from increasing carbs to TSP levels?

Hello Everyone

I feel like I don't know what to do so am looking for advice from fellow beiners. I used to be addicted to sugar but gave it up in 2002 in order to begin low carbing. I did TSP combined with the IR diet (30g per meal), lost the weight and eliminated sugar completely from my life. I reintroduced it after 3 months but in general never had it on any regualr basis. In September of 2005 my fiancee and I split up due to his drug addiction and I binged for 3-4 months. I gained all the weight I had lost and kept off in 2002. By June 2006 I was ready to start healing again so went back to my moderate carb plan. However after losing only 7lbs I stalled so in January 2007 I went much lower and did Protein Power (40 carbs per day). I lost a further 14lbs and have been stalled since May.

Because I had been stalled so long I decided to cut down further on carbs so tried Atkins induction. I felt TERRIBLE, incrediby upset, anxious and tearful. I only lasted 5 days on it and stopped when I found myself lying at the bottom of the shower thinking I couldn't kill myself as it would hurt my dbf!

I gave up then and since then have been doing reading. I have decided I need to heal and I don't want to be on a diet anymore. I'm not crazy about my weight now. My BMI is about 26 but I'm ok.

I have PCOS and I just want to have a long term plan that I can live with. I want to be able to eat at friend's houses etc. When I low carb I feel less tried and I don't really crave sweets. However after adding more complex carbs to my diet (as I have been reading about in TSP) I feel tired like I used to, yawning with eyes burning and craving sweets. I am also never fully satisfied with my food and need to eat again about 2 hours after each meal. I didn't have these symptoms very low carbing but as I said I don't find it a livable plan. I am also having a very good amount of protein with my complex carbs.

Any ideas on what's happening with my body? Will it just take time for it to adjust to a moderate amount of carbs again or do I need to only eat certain carbs? And why have my sugar cravings come back? At this stage I am so scared and confused about what to eat. Both ways seem to cause problems!

Anyone experience this or anything like that?

Last edited by Scarlet : Mon, Oct-01-07 at 14:31.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-07, 06:30

Plan: Plant-based
Stats: 200/168/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 53%

Hi Scarlet, (nice to meet you, btw!)

I am no expert, but I have had experience with the IR Diet and going off and on plan. I know that the cravings/hunger diminishes for me the longer I am on plan. It takes me 3-4 days before I start feeling "normal" and in control. I do have to adhere to the 30 carbs per meal rule, I do best when I don't eat sugar and when I keep my days menu to 3 meals and 1 snack. There's something about eating more than 4 times a day that sets off my cravings. I always make sure I have adequate protein with each meal/snack infact when 2 oz of protein might do, I have 4 oz or sometimes 6 oz.

When I eat balanced with atleast 14 grams of protein, and 30 grams of carbs-- my appetite is suppressed. I didn't get this full and satisfied sensation when I tried VLC, and I don't sleep in ketosis and I need my sleep. I find foods that are higher in fiber give me that full feeling longer.

My breakfast usually satisfies me well past lunch time. I usually have coffee, 1/2 c cottage cheese, and 1/2 c oatbran or oatmeal w/ milk. I am always amazed at how long this meal stays with me. If I eat a VLC breakfast I am hungry before noon. So I do know eating this way works for me and my body, but I haven't entirely gotten everything worked out I slipped up this summer on vacation which continued 2 months past vacation and I have been trying to lose the 10 lbs I gained back. I was so happy before vacation I had lost 25 lbs since January, and I was eating things like whole grains and fruit in balance. I really love eating this way. It feels normal

I do believe so many ppl want a quick fix. If a plan doesn't work for them in one week they drop that plan and say "it doesn't work". I lose like a turtle even on LC, I would only lose 1/2 pound per week. My body fights it every step of the way, so if I am going to lose slowly I might as well eat the foods I love in balance. (with the exception to sugar-- since its so dangerous for me!)

Have a good day