Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 11:46

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%
Default CONFUSED - Menu pairings for IS/BOA

Started a new thread from What to do when Hungry.

(WB: I usedta like to bake!) However, I am so darn worn out from trying to make up menus, buy food, prepare it - arg! This is not coming easy! I feel sort of lost.

Let me see...if I make meat then I need 20 grams of carbs to go with it BUT that 20g count doesn't include non-starchy veggies? SO, I need 20 grams ON TOP OF the non-starchy, which can be a starchy veggie, bread, or fruit if necessary. BUT if I have a sugar addiction, the fruit DOESN'T count towards the 20 carbs.

When I start getting tofu, hummus, ricotta, and nuts/nutbutters in the picture, I get confused - do the carbs in these things count as starches (meaning entering them into fitday??)..Not to mention (okay, I'm mentioning!) I still haven't a clue about Omega 3, 6, and 9 ratio or how exactly to keep track of that. I guess I can deal with that later and blindly stab for now.

I want to make this as easy as possible, so I know I can't know EVERYTHING. I hated the Zone for the same reasons (new math!!), BUT I think this plan is far better because of it's healing properties.

ANYWAY...any suggestions for making my life less complicated?

TOMasita is on her way so my last nerve is really being worked! bad night. help me please (pitiful little sad voice).

Hugs for EVERYONE,
Jinx-o-bein
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 13:25
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Jinxy:

Quote:
BUT if I have a sugar addiction, the fruit DOESN'T count towards the 20 carbs.

The way I interpret it is that you count your fruit as a carb unless you are a sugar addict coming off a lifestyle of high sugar. If you're having uncontrollable cravings for sugar, substitute it with fruit and don't count it as your starchy carb intake for the day (basically, I read that as why penalize yourself for NOT eating sugar). I can't find the quote, but if I find it I'll let you know.

Only if your adrenals are "severely" burned out or are insulin resistant do you count the carbs in nuts, otherwise they are considered protein foods. As for the tofu, you only count the carbs if you are insulin-resistant. See pages 239-240. Hummus is a starchy carb and dairy products do not count any of their carbs. Cheese should be eaten in moderation anyway so it wouldn't make any significant impact on your carb counts.

This WILL get easier. It's a bit overwhelming at first. I agree, you shouldn't worry about your Omega ratio for now. You're supplementing with Omegas so that's enough for now.

Wanda
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 14:01
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Thank you Wanda for making everything so simple for us
See I am studying up for my return to Beiner Land - I really don't know why we have to read the books at all cuz we have you
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 14:05
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

No, if you have meat and your 20g carb is not a starchy veg, you do not add another 20 of starchy veg. Because you will also have a veggie on your plate. My meat & potato version of an SP meal (all comments welcome), 3-4 oz pot roast, 3/4 c buttered (or not) potato cubes with skin on (white, red or yellow) [or WW bread for a non-veg carb, I don't eat wheat so potatoes for me ] big green salad with olive oil & lemon juice dressing, cucumbers, tomatoes & olives on top. Remember your plate is in thirds. protein, carb, veg & a good fat somewhere in there.

It does get easier.

LizzyB
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 16:50
Mad Scientist

BF:

Quote:
Let me see...if I make meat then I need 20 grams of carbs to go with it BUT that 20g count doesn't include non-starchy veggies? SO, I need 20 grams ON TOP OF the non-starchy, which can be a starchy veggie, bread, or fruit if necessary. BUT if I have a sugar addiction, the fruit DOESN'T count towards the 20 carbs.

LOL, personally I had to go have a nap after reading this. Lizzy, I thought Jinxy had it right but maybe I misread it. Let's see, I'll switch "starchy carbs" for carbs and veggies for Non-starchy veggies and see what we get.

Quote:
Let me see...[if I make meat] then I need 20 grams of starchy carbs to go with it BUT that doesn't include veggies? SO, I need 20 grams of starchy carbs ON TOP OF the veggies, which can be a starchy veggie, bread, or fruit if necessary. BUT if I have a sugar addiction, the fruit DOESN'T count towards the 20 real carbs.

Looks good to me unless I misunderstood. Oh, the starchy carbs are starchy veggies (including cooked carrots and cooked tomatoes), grains, legumes, fruits and yogurt.

Oh, and that applies whether it's vegetarian or not (with the exception of those who are insulin-resistant).

HTH,
Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Wed, Jun-11-03 at 16:52.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 18:52

Yeah LizzyB, I had it right, actually. First off, I most likely couldn't possibly eat 20 grams of non-starchy carbs in one meal - what's that, like 30 cups of lettuce or something (this is probably where I threw you off?). Meat plus non-starchy carb (your example: salad, THEN ADD a starchy carb (potato, legume, or bread).

Oh Wands, I'm sorry to wear you out!! It wore me out to write it!
Thanks y'all, very much.
Jinx
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 23:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/162.5/140 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:no clue
Progress: 63%

Jinx,

It looks like you got your questions sorted out, but honestly it does get easier the longer you do this. Really it does!

Pianobeiner
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 13:07

Default TOM & CHOCOLATE BINGE!EEEK

losing mind...

Last edited by MsJinx : Thu, Jun-12-03 at 13:20.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 13:33

Default SP Cookbook

Had a great meal last night: thick, center cut pork, french green beans (not french cut but the truly skinny delectable kind - frozen from France!), and sweet potatoes prepared from the SP cookbook. Wonderful!

I also meant to mention that I made the ricotta stuffed bell peppers for lunch the other day and they were amazing, too. And, I made the avocado cream cheese frittata for supper the other night with a green salad, dry red wine (one thing at a time!) - tres French! All of the recipes I've made from her book have been really above par.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 15:01
Mad Scientist

BF:

Jinxy, I've been in love with her cookbook for about a year now. I recently tried her acorn squash puree and really liked it. I never thought of doing it this way. I could go on, but I don't think you'll find too many recipes not to your liking. The only one I didn't really like was the recipe for Caesar salad dressing. Without the worchestershire, it's just not the same.

My favorite so far is her fajita chicken.

Mmmm, I made pork chops the other day with homemade applesauce which is soooo easy to make and IMHO tastes better fresh. I always missed pork without applesauce.

Wanda