Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 15:50

Plan: No plan, just low carbs!
Stats: 205/191/165 Male 68
BF:
Progress: 35%
Question Which Vitamins Do You Use? *HELP*!

I often hear doctors say that the expensive vitamins at places like GNC are just a waste of money? Yet, when I compare the differences between let's say UltraMega and Centrum it's like night and day. I am a little confused. I know sometimes more isn't better but some of the common vitamins like Centrum and others alike don't hardly have anything in them!

So, what do you use and WHY? Why did you choose your brand and what research did you do on how much of each vitamin you should consume? For instance, too much Iron or vitamin A isn't good, right? You can cause more harm than good I heard.

So what do we do???

Thanks!

p.s. Is there a website link on what the normal human being should consume daily in each of the vitamins and minerals? I am interested in learning how much is too much and how it effects men and women.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 17:18

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 000/000/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 0%

Our septic tank man told us that Centrum and other 'like' vitamins are found 'whole' in septic tanks.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 18:04

BF:
Talking

Um, thanks for the info... I guess.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 00:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 221/200/121 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 21%

I don't have any info for you, but I've also heard the same story as meagan about finding centrum & other similar vitamins still whole in porta-potties (now I only take capsule form vits).
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 05:25

BF:

Yea, I've heard the same thing actually. I've been researching on my own a little and have my eye on these vitamins:

http://www.vitamins.com/pages/file....86E9D4E&PID=197

Now they are not capsule form but they do have some pretty good numbers. I like them because I don't eat vegetables (YUCK) or fruits, never have. I know, I'm a bad boy. So I need a vitamin which will help support those nutrients I am lacking. That Formula 100 made by Puritan's Pride seems like a good one. If anyone sees it differently please let me know because I am very close to making a $50 purchase at Vitamins.com to get that 70% deal! I'm also going to purchase some CLA and Chitosan.

Well, thanks again!

#6   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 10:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 221/200/121 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 21%

Please keep us posted.

I used to be a "supplement junkie". I took all kinds of vitamins everyday, then my doctor said all I had was expensive pee (lol). Anyway I quit everything, and in the last month I've gradually started to take them again (started back with a multiple, then calcium with magnesium, then added OoO, then relacore), so far the results have been good. I thought if I use this approach, then I can tell what is effective & what is bunk.

Just thought I'd share this with you.
Have a great LC day!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-30-04, 14:24

BF:

Yea, I sometimes wonder if all the pills I take are worth it, are they actually doing anything for me? Who knows! I guess it would be wise for me to get tested on various things and do that once a year to see if I am actually doing my body any good by taking all that stuff. The problem is I don't know what to test for and how often!

See ya!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jun-11-04, 07:08

Plan: mixed
Stats: 140/120/110 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 67%

I prefer taking capsules over tablets.. I think they are digested and absorbed better than the tablet form... Right now I am taking a bunch of stuff: a multivitamin, spirulina (to regulate my thyroid function - my homeopathic doctor said that I might have abnormal thyroid function in the future plus my mom and her sister has it already), cranberry extract (heard it does not work but still take it ), calcium, L-carnitine and amino acids supplements. I also occasianally take fat burners but very mild ones w/o caffeine or white willow bark. I am also thinking about taking vitamin C, a good anti-oxidant... i guess you can call a supplement junkie too it is surprising how most of conventianal doctors don't belive in vitamins, herbs and other natural remedies... that's why I don't trust such doctors