Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1396   ^
Old Fri, Oct-15-10, 19:08

Plan: God's Will Be Done
Stats: 306/189/162 Female 5'7
BF:Morris Chestnut
Progress: 81%
Default My Two New BFF's

Artisana 100% Organic Extra Virgin Unrefined High In Lauric Acid Pure Coconut Oil & 100% Australian Tea Oil.

I've been reading up on all the benefits of unrefined coconut oil and finally gave it a try today. I've been hesitant because for some reason I didn't think I would like it. Man! Oh man was I ever wrong...I love this stuff.

I purchased a small 16 ounce bottle today since I didn't know if I would care for it, but looks like I'm already to purchase more. Today, I had it in my coffee, I used it to replace butter in my flaxseed bowl muffin, and I made some chocolate coconut barks with pecans which are in the fridge now just waiting for me. Well, I had to taste a little bit of one them and it was great!

I just used Hershey unsweetend chocolate, some DaVinci SF Butterscotch Syrup, a couple of drops of EZ-Sweets, chopped pecans, the coconut oil of course, and a bit of some french vanilla extract. Very yummy.

And although it has nothing to do with LC, but it's a very good fine is my Tea Tree Oil which I've been using for the past two weeks, very good for skin and offers anti-viral properties. I use a tag that I mix in my bottle of shampoo, and a tag that I mix with my hair oils. Guess I can mix it with my coconut oil now and use that for both my skin and hair too.

It's a win win situation.
Sponsored Links
  #1397   ^
Old Sat, Oct-16-10, 08:03

Okay, I'm not sure if this is a win win afterall, my blood pressure totally skyrocketed after a day of Coconut Oil. My pressure has gone down some today, but I can still feel my toes tingling which tells me my pressure is still way up. I know I went over the 3 tbls a day limit so I'm hoping that's all it was if not ....oh well, so much for the coconut oil.
  #1398   ^
Old Sat, Oct-16-10, 12:47

Plan: My own
Stats: 122/110.7/100 Female 5'2 ft
BF:
Progress: 51%

Ive been making coconut oil set in the freezer with some unsweeted cocoa.
Is cocoa okay for rung 3?
  #1399   ^
Old Sat, Oct-16-10, 12:52

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 254/222/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

I didn't think I had an issue with coconut oil till yesterday when I put a TBS in some hot tea. About 2 hours later, my tummy was cramping so hard, it was making me dizzy.

About an hour after that I felt MUCH better after a visit to the potty with a good book lol.

I may break up my doses into tsp and see how it goes. FTR, I used to just cook with it, now I don't cook with it (I MUCH prefer butter) so was trying to just down it plain....we will see.
  #1400   ^
Old Sat, Oct-16-10, 15:48

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Some people seem to have problems if they add several tablespoons of CO at once. Try starting off with one and increase gradually instead.
  #1401   ^
Old Sat, Oct-16-10, 20:40

I think that may be best, if I decide to go forward with it at all. My pressure is still up, my legs and feet still swollen and tingling, the left side of my face went numb for a minute and scared the heck out of me. I hurried and took a couple of aspirin before I have a freakin' stroke over here.

Think I'm just going to go to bed early tonight.
  #1402   ^
Old Sat, Oct-16-10, 22:25

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

WHy are you guys taking so much coconut oil? Yes, you should be taking around 3 tablespoons daily but you have to work up to that. Coconut oil is an active oil...it means business. Take just a little bit at first then increase gradually. WHen you learned to swim did you jump into the deep end on day one?
  #1403   ^
Old Sat, Oct-16-10, 22:30

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 254/222/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

I started with ONE tablespoon...not all 3.

And yes, I was actually THROWN into the deepend the first time learning to swim at about 11 months old - I'm still here so I suppose that means something lol
  #1404   ^
Old Sun, Oct-17-10, 11:11

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconutz
I started with ONE tablespoon...not all 3.

And yes, I was actually THROWN into the deepend the first time learning to swim at about 11 months old - I'm still here so I suppose that means something lol

It was an analogy...like when you learned to drive did you begin driving on the highway? When you began eating solid foods as a baby was your first piece a ribeye?

Perhaps you should have started with a teaspoon of coconut oil. Evidently the tablespoon was still overwhelming for your system.
  #1405   ^
Old Sun, Oct-17-10, 11:56

Several days ago I started reading all the benefits of unrefined extra virgin coconut oil. I sat for hours jumping from website to website telling me all the great benefits of coconut oil and how I should replace my current oils and butter for the coconut oil. How wonderful it was for me inside and out, my skin, my hair, etc.

I got so excited I didn't want to wait to order it online so I went to my local Whole Foods Market down the street and purchased it.

Once I got home I couldn't wait. I immediately made me a flaxseed/almond muffin bowl and instead of including butter I used a tablespoon of Coconut Oil to pour on top of the hot muffin, in my coffee...instead of cream i used another tablespoon of Coconut Oil, then I made some chocolate pecan barks using the Coconut Oil again. It didn't stop there as I couldn't wait until dinner time when I used about 4 tablespoons of coconut oil to saute my alaskan wild salmon in which explains why my blood pressure is through the roof still today.

My whole weekend has been spent with my legs elevated and I actually went to bed at 7:30 PM last night I was feeling so bad. The swelling has gone down a lot today, but I'm still feeling quite a bit of tingling and I know I'm still bloated 'cause my weight has also gone up as a result (4 lbs) I know my body holds onto water when my pressure is up, so I will remain seated with legs up today until my blood pressure stabilizes and I will hit the sack early again in hopes of getting back to normal.

Looks like I learned my lesson the hard way. I'm just thankful I didn't haven't a stroke. How crazy that was though....I'm trying to be extra healthy and almost sent myself to the hospital in the process. I will totally be more careful next time.
  #1406   ^
Old Sun, Oct-17-10, 12:56

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007
Several days ago I started reading all the benefits of unrefined extra virgin coconut oil. I sat for hours jumping from website to website telling me all the great benefits of coconut oil and how I should replace my current oils and butter for the coconut oil. How wonderful it was for me inside and out, my skin, my hair, etc.

I got so excited I didn't want to wait to order it online so I went to my local Whole Foods Market down the street and purchased it.

Once I got home I couldn't wait. I immediately made me a flaxseed/almond muffin bowl and instead of including butter I used a tablespoon of Coconut Oil to pour on top of the hot muffin, in my coffee...instead of cream i used another tablespoon of Coconut Oil, then I made some chocolate pecan barks using the Coconut Oil again. It didn't stop there as I couldn't wait until dinner time when I used about 4 tablespoons of coconut oil to saute my alaskan wild salmon in which explains why my blood pressure is through the roof still today.

My whole weekend has been spent with my legs elevated and I actually went to bed at 7:30 PM last night I was feeling so bad. The swelling has gone down a lot today, but I'm still feeling quite a bit of tingling and I know I'm still bloated 'cause my weight has also gone up as a result (4 lbs) I know my body holds onto water when my pressure is up, so I will remain seated with legs up today until my blood pressure stabilizes and I will hit the sack early again in hopes of getting back to normal.

Looks like I learned my lesson the hard way. I'm just thankful I didn't haven't a stroke. How crazy that was though....I'm trying to be extra healthy and almost sent myself to the hospital in the process. I will totally be more careful next time.

2007, there is no need to replace any healthy oil with coconut oil.Just include coconut with your diet like you do the other oils. They're all healthy for you. I cannot imagine life without butter or cream.
  #1407   ^
Old Sun, Oct-17-10, 13:07

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 163/121/135 Female 5ft. 7 inches
BF:Just perfect:)
Progress: 150%

I am a world fan of coconut oil! I am 40 and have been using it for years, I do not have a single wrinkle on my face. It works well on crows feet. As for the hair, ever since I started using it on my scalp my hair is now to my waist, healthy and shiny. I also believe eating it has helped me internally as well.
I only use two kinds of oils: EVOO and Organic Coconut oil.
  #1408   ^
Old Sun, Oct-17-10, 13:23

Well, I had no plans of totally eliminating butter or olive oil, I was just excited because it's something new so I wanted to try it in everything right away. I felt like a kid in a candy store. I'm 50 years old but luckly, I don't have crows feet or wrinkles. I'm very fortunate in that area, but I think I may use it on my skin and hair anyway. So yeah, now I know just to incorporate it into my LC lifestyle not go crazy with it.
  #1409   ^
Old Sun, Oct-17-10, 13:31

BF:

I was just coming back to this thread to remind everyone that you can also get the benefits of coconut oil when used as a moisturizer...your skin absorbs it quite well.This is great since coconut oil is a food. I rarely purchase lotions or creams anymore. I also use it in my hair.
  #1410   ^
Old Sun, Oct-17-10, 14:33

Plan: Low carb Paleo
Stats: 210.8/193.5/120 Female 66 in
BF:44/??/15%
Progress: 19%

I also want to chime in about using CO on skin and hair. I started using it earlier this year on my hair which was breaking and crispy in some spots. It did what fancy expensive conditioners could not - made it soft, smooth, and strong. (I apply it at night and put a cap on my head and sleep in it.) My hair lady was astonished at what a complete turnaround my hair was. I was too!!