Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-08, 16:12

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/165/130 Female 160
BF:
Progress:
Default So why me?

Hey everyone,
I've been trying to answer this question for a long time. So why me PCOS? Really? I mean, sure genetics and a poor diet can explain all the extra hair in every spot, the ancanthosis nigrican syndrome, and the weight gain (also not to mention the embarassing relationship process and low self esteem). But for the longest time, i always said so why me?. i can live with it, i sometimes told my self, i mean its not like its like leperosy, where i have to go live with only my fellow PCOS people. And i always fought against what other people said, "you arent trying hard enough to lose weight", and i would quip with "well you dont have PCOS!!! you have no idea how hard it is to lose weight!!" I would retort every possible excuse i had in my mind to make it ok that i had it, and that i didnt really care. Or otherwise i would constantly feel sorry for myself for having it. BUT, i realize now that if i dont take care of it now, it'll prevent me from having a boyfriend, let a lone a husband or children. It'll affect me in my job, (i mean whose not going to notice if you always wear full sleeve clothing and always leave your hair down and dont let anyone touch it!) So, i've begun on a bit of a crusade. I've looked around on this forum for quite a long time, and i finally have the courage to say that i'm going to start something that hopefully helps not only me, but others as well. From today, i've started on the atkins diet, started exercising, started metformin, and Tri-Luma, and some homeopathic medicine as well, so i can defeat or if not at least live with my PCOS. As crusading as i sound right now however, i would love your support, or heck, for even someone to try it with me. So why me? no, the question is "So what if i have it?!" I can live with it, even though it may be tough.

So...
Age: you never ask a woman that!! but, just so you know! 18
Starting Weight: 165 pounds
Height: 5 feet 4 inches
Goal: 130
Starting Date: today
End Date: well i guess there really isnt an end to this diet!!

I have taken several pictures of me for some before and afters later on. If anyone wants to talk with me about my little journey or see some of the pics then please feel free to email me at sowhatifihaveit~yahoo.com (a little corny i know but it goes with the whole theme )

I'll update my status in my diet (with pics) every friday or saturday. The last thing that i'd like to say that i'm so grateful for this forum, because it makes those who are alone in their disease, such as me, feel so much closer to others though just a click of the mouse.

Thanks
R.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-08, 17:58
Registered Member

Plan: blah
Stats: 111/111/111 Female 78
BF:
Progress: 29%

Im 20 years old with pcos. I havent gotten a period naturally in about 5 years. Im also 227 lbs and my heighest weight was 252 when I was 16 years old. You should be very happy that you are only 165lbs. Some people have it a lot worse. I agree that PCOS shouldnt control our lives. Its hard to watch my 49 year old mother lose weight easier than me and its hard knowing that PCOS and insulin resistance are not very well researched or known about. To this day, my mom still refuses to admit that my body is out of whack, even though both the gynecologist and endocrinologist told her otherwise. She just thinks that its about my diet and exercise. She is also still worried about low-fat crap. Its hard knowing that most people my age dont know about, care about, or understand what PCOS means. It sucks that as a woman I have to deal with obesity, excess hair in the wrong places, balding hair on my head, acne on my face, etc. However, we are very lucky that our condition results in minor symptoms compared to other medical problems and through proper treatment those symptoms can be managed. Im also taking metformin and I've been eating low carb. They seem to be helping a lot.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-07-08, 09:09

Plan: m&e
Stats: 172/156/135 Female 5'5
BF:burn it off, baby!
Progress: 43%

Wow. Both of you girls are young! You so can do this. I found out about my PCOS in my 30's. I'm 39 now. I've battled with my weight for what seems my whole life, I've battled infertility, and of course now PCOS. Cutting out all carbs and exercising (aerobics & weights) is what's working for me. I've lost weight and this is what has never happened before: I've kept it off for 2 years now and still trying to lose the last 10 pounds. But I'm in no rush now to lose those last pounds. I have muscles now where the fat used to be. I've never felt healthier, happier, & relieved, in my life. I've got my self esteem back and no one can tell me that low fat is the way to go. This is the way I'm eating for the rest of my life, and of course keep on exercising. I don't think there's a cure for PCOS but you can keep those symptoms under control with a very low carb diet & exercise program. Yes, it's very hard work. But in the long wrong you'll be a happier person. There are days when I want a piece of chocolate or I don't feel like working out, but then I quickly remind myself how miserable I was before and I don't want to ever go there again! That's a good trick to get me to work out! Well, I didn't mean to ramble on & on, but I feel for you girls because I've been there. Just know that coming to this lowcarber forum was the best thing you can do for support and ideas. I've learned alot here.
You're young so you have a great head start! Good luck!!!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-07-08, 14:12
Registered Member

Plan: blah
Stats: 111/111/111 Female 78
BF:
Progress: 29%

Thanks Spacedoll. Sometimes I feel so old, even though Im only 20. I was 252lbs when i was 16 so I have never really experienced what its like to have a healthy or youthful body. When you think of someone who is 252lbs, you think of a middle aged person with kids or something. Thats kind of how i feel. I just feel like im in this old, creeky, body and that im too far gone. I dont even know what i look like undearneath all these layers of fat. i have know idea what my bones are structured like. its weird.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Dec-27-08, 22:20

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 230/230/130 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hang in there! I started out as a thin person with PCOS but seriously messed up periods. I never ovulated on my own. After two IVF cycles and a pregnancy I became a fat person with PCOS.

8 years later I read an Ann Landers letter about the metabolic component of PCOS and started low carbing and taking metformin. I had my first ovulatory period within 30 days of starting this regimen and 6 months later, to my utter amazement and surprise, I was pregnant. I was 41 when this second miracle child was born.

This works, it absolutely works. You will feel so much better and be in control of your body.

Good luck,
Janknitz
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-09, 11:17
Contrarian

Plan: Atkins/Controlled Carb
Stats: 275/190/190 Female 72
BF:Not a clue!
Progress: 100%

Quote:
So why me? no, the question is "So what if i have it?!" I can live with it, even though it may be tough.

A good question, in my mind, is does PCOS confer any "benefit"?

Emerging is an answer that suggests that women with PCOS are indeed at an advantage (reproductively) with the "right" metabolic conditions.....when insulin and glucose are lowered women with PCOS tend to become "super ovulators" in that they have quick and multiple antral follicles recruited to ovulate with - one, two or three eggs released increased the odds of pregnancy occuring......making those with PCOS the women who can reproduce in times of "lean" - when calories and particular macronutrients are scarce......and other women have a harder time reproducing will experience infertility due to malnutrition.

It's basically an evolutionary advantage to the species as a whole, but not to you the individual unless you can work on changing the metabolic environment. Low-carb diets influence the metabolic environment and often lead to rapid return of ovulation because they reduce insulin and glucose, which then lowers testosterone and estrogen, which then increases progesterone - basically balancing the necessary hormones for ovulation, fertilization, implantation and on-going pregnancy. It doesn't always "work" on its own, sometimes metformin is added, sometimes other drugs....but low-carb is very, very effective for PCOS.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-26-09, 08:55

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 288/224.8/180 Female 66 in
BF:
Progress: 59%

I tell my family that I have superior genes to them. I would survive a famine because all their skinny butts wouldn't have the reserves to hang on. It only makes sense to me that women that have extra reserves could repopulate the planet when the 'weaker' woman have perished.

Its all about the attitude girls! We are the superior beings! LOL
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-26-09, 11:00

Plan: hunter-gatherer
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 5'6"
BF:breast feeding! ;)
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaW
A good question, in my mind, is does PCOS confer any "benefit"?

Emerging is an answer that suggests that women with PCOS are indeed at an advantage (reproductively) with the "right" metabolic conditions.....when insulin and glucose are lowered women with PCOS tend to become "super ovulators" in that they have quick and multiple antral follicles recruited to ovulate with - one, two or three eggs released increased the odds of pregnancy occuring......making those with PCOS the women who can reproduce in times of "lean" - when calories and particular macronutrients are scarce......and other women have a harder time reproducing will experience infertility due to malnutrition.

It's basically an evolutionary advantage to the species as a whole, but not to you the individual unless you can work on changing the metabolic environment. Low-carb diets influence the metabolic environment and often lead to rapid return of ovulation because they reduce insulin and glucose, which then lowers testosterone and estrogen, which then increases progesterone - basically balancing the necessary hormones for ovulation, fertilization, implantation and on-going pregnancy. It doesn't always "work" on its own, sometimes metformin is added, sometimes other drugs....but low-carb is very, very effective for PCOS.

great explanation!