Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-09-18, 14:49

Plan: atkins
Stats: 295/289/190 Male 69
BF:
Progress:
Default Question on induction and smell of protein making me feel bad

Hello Everyone,

I've been looking for answers and haven't found them. I started induction on Monday and was in Ketosis on Tuesday night according to the keto strips.

Today being the following Friday i'm down 5lbs but I'm finding that protein is very unappetizing all of a sudden. Someone was making eggs at work and I couldn't stand it, and then the smell of my steak for my salad which I have been having most of the week was too much so I ended up not eating the steak, but the salad was good.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this just a part of keto flu?

Not particularly worried about it, but was just wondering if my body was telling me to cut back on eating the protein and eat more fat instead.

I did not experience this the last time I was on induction.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-10-18, 04:39

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome Becoming more attuned to your real hunger signals is one of the benefits of low carb. Rather than eating carbohydrates and then wanting more 2 hours later, you can check in with yourself before eating a steak ...Am I really Hungry, if not, don’t eat. Dr Westman's simple advice is Eat when you are hungry, Stop when you are full. You may naturally end up eating within a shorter window each day. If you are not hungry in the first few weeks, that is common (some saying they can’t eat another egg or burger) and a more even appetite will return. You are changing over to burning your own body fat for fuel, and that's a "good thing". All the best,
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-10-18, 14:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/137/135 Female 5'4”
BF:
Progress: 93%

Sounds pretty normal. Our minds are revolting against the diet lol. Try something less fatty like grilled chicken breasts. I still get that way from time to time where I just get sick of the thought of another piece of any sort of meat/protein.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-12-18, 12:33

Plan: atkins
Stats: 295/289/190 Male 69
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the replies. It seems it was temporary. I ended up dropped 8lbs one the first week of induction.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-12-18, 12:59
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

It took a little longer for me, but yes - I had a similar experience several weeks into the diet. I have always loved all things protein. I loved it when I started eating LCHF in 2014, but before too long the idea of eating eggs or another bite of meat was practically nauseating. The same was true for green beans, too. Nothing that I ate as a staple on my diet would be appetizing. In fact, the thought of them practically gagged me. I forced them down anyway. Then a short while later I was fine with my LC food again. I've eating eggs for breakfast almost everyday for the past 4 years. I never seem to tire of them. The same way with steak. I'd never pass up a good steak. How could I go from loving a food to detesting it and then back to loving it again in a few short weeks? The carb flu might have had something to do with it. Nothing sounds good when you are not feeling well. But I agree with Luzyanna. I'm convinced that a revolt takes place and this response is your brain's way of steering you back towards your old favorite carby junk. This 'extreme boredom' thing happened with me on many low carb diets of the past, too. That's when I would start cheating and that didn't make things any better. Those diets all failed. This time I stuck with on-plan food and soon was back to loving my LC food more than ever.