Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 20:20

Plan: Atkins Wannabe
Stats: 260 ?/234/140 Female 63 Inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

I would definally make it part of my day to watch a cooking show about low carb lifestlye! They have that chick from "Change of heart" hosting a show on FN, why switch that little show out for a nice low carb cooking one???
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 20:30
WannaHaveFun

Plan: protvegfatprotvegfatprotv
Stats: 183/165/155 Female 67 in
BF:
Progress: 64%

Today on Global's local Vancouver news at noon, Dr. Art Hister talked about trying out the Atkins Diet--he doesn't need to lose weight but wanted to experience it and how it felt. He wasn't negative about it, other than to say it was "boring eating eggs for breakfast" all the time--to which the newscaster replied--"it's really boring isn't it?" Dr. Hister replied that his son is on Atkins and sticking to it but finding it "boring".

This seems like a great time for us LCers who know better to encourage them to invite someone like...KAREN!!! to come do a segment on how wonderful low-carb cooking can be, perhaps bringing in cooked foods to start with (provide a link to an online recipe???) and perhaps expanding to more of a cooking segment as time goes on. And probably starting with breakfast choices--this is what most people bring up whenever I talk to them.

Personally, I am going to send an e-mail right now. OK I just did it (the following message was sent to globalbc.newstips~globaltv.ca (I can't seem to get the "at" sign to come out--replace ~ with the "at" sign). I hope other BCers (and perhaps folks in Whatcom County) will consider doing this!
--------------------------
Hello.

Today (Oct. 30) on the noon news, Dr. Art Hister mentioned that he found the Atkins diet "boring", to which the newscaster replied that it's "Boring", to which Dr. H. replied that his son is sticking to the regime but finding it "boring."

Considering the popularity of the low-carb lifestyle, and the burgeoning research indicating its health benefits, perhaps you could consider bringing in someone like Chef Karen Barnaby, of the Fish House in Stanley Park--who is not only a wonderful "traditional" chef, but also a gem in the local low-carb community--to dispel this myth!

Karen has shared a number of brilliant and delicious low-carb recipes on "living la vida low carb" at
http://www.lowcarb.ca/low-carb-recipes.html, she frequently conducts low-carb cooking classes around Vancouver, and she is in the process of writing a low-carb cookbook. She is by all accounts warm, approachable, humourous and energetic. She has followed the Protein Power plan rather than Atkins, but is extremely knowledgeable about all aspects of low-carbing as evidenced by "Karen's Corner" on the Active Low-Carbers' Forums, where she answers any and every question about nutrition, ingredients, and cooking procedures: http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=20 . She also maintains her own web site at http://www.karenbarnaby.com/ .

Karen Barnaby would be an extremely valuable and sparkling addition to your news-hour lineup, and perhaps could even be persuaded to do her own cooking show! Judging by the size and enthusiasm of the B.C. low-carbing community, I think you would have a ready-made audience, which would grow rapidly as word spreads.

Please seriously consider the idea!

Last edited by sunpines : Thu, Oct-30-03 at 20:33.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 20:34
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I've meant to email Dr. Art to see what's happening with his Atkins trial. I was on his radio show last year, yakking about what else? Low-carbing!

I've done a few LC shows on Breakfast TV and one for City Cooks.

Karen
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 12:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen

I've meant to email Dr. Art to see what's happening with his Atkins trial. I was on his radio show last year, yakking about what else? Low-carbing!

I've done a few LC shows on Breakfast TV and one for City Cooks.

Karen

Karen, are you aware of any "archives" of the dates and locations of the various shows (radio, television) you've done?

I'd sure like to catch up with them, if possible.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 17:13
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hmm. I know I have a list somewhere and I have a copy of everything I've done in print. Let me see if I can find it.

Karen