Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-05-17, 17:08

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 207/206/136 Female 159
BF:
Progress:
Smile Am so ready for a new life!

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick hello as I started a low carb diet 3 days ago after finding out I am to be a bridesmaid in London in 12 weeks.

I have struggled with my weight all my life and have started so many diets I have lost count.

I am determined this time though as I really don't want to attend another wedding feeling so uncomfortable in my own body that I could crawl out of my own skin.

I have found it relatively easy so far, no headaches yet but have had really bad diarrhoea this evening (sorry, TMI but don't know if that is normal). Am just trying to get to grips with what I can and can't eat.

Any advice is much appreciated

Jo
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-05-17, 21:25

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojod
...Am just trying to get to grips with what I can and can't eat.

Jo

This page from this site might be helpful to pick a plan. If you study one you'll know what and when to eat I think. Welcome and have fun.

http://www.lowcarb.ca/atkins-diet-a...lans/index.html
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-06-17, 01:02

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

It's important to follow the plan you choose to the letter since you have such a short time. I recommend Atkins induction for 2 weeks, longer if you're ok with it.

And, welcome!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-06-17, 01:59

BF:
Progress:

Thank you Thud123 and gonwtwindo,

I will take your advice and do some research on the Atkins plan this morning. I am determined to feel better about myself at this wedding and then carry on with this way of life if I can to get to my goal

Jo
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-06-17, 04:15

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The Atkins induction plan most people like here is right at the top of the Atkins forum. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=236482 I also would suggest just sticking with this for as long as you can, no adding nuts, wine or in other ways moving on to other phases. That is the clinic plan also used in the two Week Challenge here: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb. But no issues staying in the plan longer. That websites has good tips for about side effects. Menu and shopping list all organized for you. Look around the forums here for support...maybe join a Buddy group? Start a journal?
Please do not view the bridesmaid dress as the goal, but your good health for the rest of your life.
All the best,

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, May-07-17 at 03:42.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-08-17, 16:35

Stats: 279.5/178/199 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 126%

Welcome,

All great advice. I have been doing Atkins Induction for 13 weeks. As Janet said above, following this Phase exactly is very important. I have not had any nuts, alcohol (not hard since I never drink anyway), fruit since beginning. There is a lot of whole, healthy, tastey food in this plan.

Good luck.

Kathy
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-09-17, 09:44

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Welcome! This is a great plan to quick start loss for the wedding. Good luck. But the best thing to keep in mind is to commit to a lifelong reset in how you think about food, and that this is a complete change, not a quick fix. That way if you get chosen to be a bridesmaid again in the future you'll be ready to just slip into the dress.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-09-17, 12:41

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

I agree with Debbie and Janet. Bridesmaid's dresses are temporary. Being healthy and feeling good about yourself are forever. So...stick with us, and you'll be on the right path.

And by the way, based on weddings I've attended, nobody will be paying much attention to the bridesmaids. It's somebody else's day! So don't worry about it, surround your friend the bride (and/or groom) with happy thoughts, and have a great time!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-22-17, 20:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 311/224.4/185 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 69%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojod
H
I have found it relatively easy so far, no headaches yet but have had really bad diarrhoea this evening (sorry, TMI but don't know if that is normal). Am just trying to get to grips with what I can and can't eat.

Jo

Hi Jo. Wanted to comment on your GI distress. Everyone is different of course but many people, when they change to this way of eating, experience "the runs" for a while. Generally it settles down. It's pretty normal, anyway, nothing to be worried about unless it continues and then the concern would be to make sure you're not getting dehydrated. Lots of water is always a good choice!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-23-17, 03:13
Registered Member

Plan: my own designed
Stats: 276/267/200 Male 5.4
BF:
Progress:

The Atkins induction plan is really good option. It is difficult to cut down many yummy options form diet but its worth the results.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, May-23-17, 11:17

BF:
Progress:

Thanks everyone for the replies. I have been eating low carb now for 3 weeks now and have lost 8lbs. I know 8lbs is not nothing but I still can't help feeling disappointed that I have not had better results. I have stuck to under 20g carbs a day and last time I checked I was in ketosis so I kind of expected more...I lost more weight at SlimmingWorld in the same timeframe before?

Jo
  #12   ^
Old Tue, May-23-17, 14:02

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
I kind of expected more
Unrealistic expectations have sunk more resolutions than chocolate cake.

If SlimmingWorld worked better for you, then go for it again. Did you stick with it? Can you stick with low-carb? Whichever one you DON'T stick with, you'll still get back all the weight you lost.

Best wishes, whatever you decide.