Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-05-16, 07:35

Plan: Keto
Stats: 245/230/170 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:
Default Very old timer coming back

Hi everyone!

My name is Lisa and I was member here back in the early 2000's - and was actually a moderator for a short time before things like a divorce and work stress caused me to go astray and gain weight.

Since then I, of course, gained the weight back, lost it again (Weight Watchers) and then regained (Weight Watchers!). But I never forgot how great I felt low carbing and always swore I'd come back to it.

I've been back to it since the end of June 2015 and have lost almost 60 lbs. My first goal is now about 18 pounds away but I'm not married to a particular weight and am taking more of a wait and see approach.

I've just started to exercise again (Pilates at home) but I don't fret about that too much. I have issues with perfection and if I turn exercise into a critical issue and I get injured or miss workouts, my diet will suffer also. So I focus on food and do the exercise thing when it feels right (maybe 2-3 times a week).

I am thrilled this group is still here and happy to see that low carbing is becoming more mainstream!

Lisa
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-05-16, 07:38

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 240/234/154 Female 162
BF:
Progress: 7%

Hi Lisa, welcome back. I'm new to the site but not too low carbing. x
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-05-16, 09:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Hi, Lisa, and welcome back.

Sounds like you're on the right track. My slow but steady weight loss (with, of course, stalls here and there) became secondary when I realized that this way of eating makes me feel so darned good. Healthy. Not hungry or craving all the time. And losing both weight and inches, to boot.

So, about 10 lbs ago, I decided that, no matter what happened, no matter where I was or what was going on in my life, that I would eat this way forever. Because changing is the way back to overweight, crabby, sore and unhealthy.

Once I decided that, it became a lot easier to say no to well meaning friends, to family and to stressful situations where before I would have had "just a bite" or "just a taste" that led me to over indulge, again and again.

You're doing great, and I hope to see more of you here.

Have you started a journal? It's an invaluable way to keep track of where I am, for me.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-08-16, 07:27

Plan: Keto
Stats: 245/230/170 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

Thanks all!

MickiSue - your comment about making that "this is it" decision really rang true with me. I was explaining to someone recently that one of the ways I've managed to sail through some stressful stuff lately (upsetting arguments, crazy work pressure, new job, Christmas and birthday temptations, indulgent dinners out) has been to treat my eating habits as a "sacred space" in my life that no one and no thing is allowed to penetrate. Imagining a huge impenetrable barrier around it has made it easier for me to turn down all the goodies offered (especially at work) on a regular basis.

What I'm working on now is trying to remember that I didn't originally start this to lose weight but to avoid diabetes and other health issues that plague my family.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Lisa
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-08-16, 07:50

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambergem
Thanks all!

What I'm working on now is trying to remember that I didn't originally start this to lose weight but to avoid diabetes and other health issues that plague my family.

Lisa

Lisa - One of the things that helps me stick to this WOE is knowing that it is about much more than weight loss. In fact for me weight loss is secondary and health is primary. I too want to avoid diabetes, which is prevalent in my family with bad consequences, along with a host of other related problems.

Jean
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-08-16, 07:59
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Hello ambergem and welcome back!

Like most of those that posted before me, I too wanted the health benefits of being a healthier weight before I hit my 60s & was plagued with weight related issues.

I was sick and tired of FIGHTING "Fat Jo" all the time and decided that this was it for the last blooming TIME! Oh I still FIGHT the GOOD fight, but now it's a FIGHT to stay in maintenance and NOT a battle of losing the weight!

I wasn't overly concerned about how much I was going to lose because I knew Staying 100% OP everyday meant I would get results... I have NOT been disappointed one iota!

Wishing you much success on your journey to a HEALTHIER you!