Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-08-10, 22:57

Plan: Dr. Eric Westman's/Atkins
Stats: 150/148/132 Female 5'-4"
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Best way to reduce triglycerides?

In addition to doing low carb., what are some other ways to reduce triglycerides? My husband is going to have a knee replacement soon and I'd love to see his TG lower. He has quit having his wine and is doing less than 40 carbs daily. He has lost about 9 pounds since he started in Jan. 2010. I am hoping he can get a little healthier before the surgery.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-08-10, 23:31

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I always thought exercise was a huge factor but I am not sure. I am wondering for myself. I have no idea what mine are - last time I checked they were 133 a couple years back.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-09-10, 09:46
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Triglycerides are raised by carbs and sometimes genetics. Fish oil helps too, and D3 probably helps as well. Having high fasting triglycerides is probably a pretty good indication of a metabolic issue like pre-diabetes.

How long has he been doing low carb? If he's sticking to it they should drop about 25% a month or so.

http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com has good advice on triglycerides.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Tue, Feb-09-10 at 09:54.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-09-10, 12:33

BF:

He has been back on low carb about a month and has seen improvement. They are still too high though. His HDL is only 33 and his TG is 254. I did request an A1C fron his doctor worried about the diabetes. They told him "the ONLY way to increase HDL is with exercise." I hate the doctors here.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-09-10, 13:47
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Yeah, they sound like idiots!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-10-10, 01:32

BF:

That's cause we live at the beach and all the good ones are "out west" - near the big University Hospitals - Duke or UNC Chapel Hill. The so-so ones must have moved to the beach. We take a lot of doctors out fishing but that is going to stop until we get the help we deserve. Many drink like fishes too! "Stuart - your Triglycerides really are too high.....then a little later, Angie - will you make me and Stuart another one of your Banana Wacker's?"
"Sure Bill....ya'll want some more loaded nachos too?"

NO I AM NOT KIDDING!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-12-10, 02:00

BF:

I just read on Bloodsugar101 that Metformin reduces Triglycerides. I am thinking this would work along the same lines of low carb dieting. I am wondering if it might bring his TG down even faster. Since his doctors here were all about those damn statins, I am hoping that in another few weeks, we can lower his TG's to below 149 (what they consider "normal" - though I know this is still too high.) I want him to regain his health and then rub their noses in it. I am thinking of adding the Metformin now, to really get a more dramatic drop than they have ever even imagined so we can then say, "Now do this with statins and a starving patient!!!"
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-12-10, 18:50

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 150/140/140 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Aeroangie,

Have your husband read this. Four patients who changed my life.
I hope that it makes it clear to him that by reducing your carbohydrate consumption to below 20 gm/day, per the Protein Power book, you can quickly drop the triglycerides. AND he can eat fatty steaks, yum!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Feb-13-10, 12:10

BF:

Yes - he is already on Atkin's. He does very well on the plan. The only reason he ever got off the plan was because of pressure from doctors to be on a low purine diet due to his gout. Fortunately, I learned here that is was fructose that caused his metabolic issues and now we are working hard to correct it.

He has dropped TG from 401 to 191 since October!