Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-18-16, 18:44
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Hasselback Chicken in Pesto Cream

This was tonight's dinner creation and it was sooooo good, and sooooo easy, I just have to share:

This simple-to-put-together dish was delicious beyond words and prep time was about 5 minutes! I’ll be honest……….I was apprehensive at first, as to whether I would be able to handle it as fresh basil sometimes upsets my stomach. But the amount here was small enough, that usual effect didn’t occur. This was so good my husband practically “inhaled” his dinner tonight! The chicken came out so tender and moist. It practically cooks itself, so this one’s a keeper for us! Suitable for all phases of Atkins, Keto diets and Primal followers, this one is sure to please your family.

INGREDIENTS:
2 medium chicken breasts (skin on preferred, so it will baste and create pan juices)
3 1/3 slices of Provalone cheese, cut round slices into 3 strips
2 T. pesto sauce (I used my homemade Pesto Sauce)
5 T. heavy cream (whipping cream)
3 T. additional heavy cream for final sauce
1 Roma tomato, cut crosswise into 6 slices
1/8 tsp. xanthan gum or preferred thickener (optional)
Sprinkle of Italian Seasonings (optional)

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350º. With a sharp knife, make 5 cuts all the way to the bone in your chicken breasts. Place them in a metal baking pan (I used 8″ square). Deeply poke a strip of Provalone cheese into each slit in the chicken. Top each of the chicken breasts with 3 slices of Roma tomato. Set pan aside for a few minutes. Place the pesto sauce in a small skillet over medium heat. Add 5 T. heavy cream, stir well to heat the initial sauce. Spoon this down the center of the chicken breasts, trying to get some into each cheese-stuffed slit. If using, sprinkle with Italian Seasoning blend.

Pop pan into 350º oven and bake for about 1 hour or until the meat reaches 170º on a meat thermometer. Remove from oven and with a long spatula, remove them to a serving platter. Add the remaining 3 T. cream to the pan juices and heat over medium-high heat, mashing any melted cheese bits up as you stir to thicken. If you want it thicker, dust lightly with xanthan gum or your favorite thickener and allow it to develop/thicken. Pour sauce into a serving dish or spoon it directly over and around the chicken breasts if you prefer. ENJOY! Did I not promise this was easy and delicious?

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 2 adult servings, each contains:
800 calories (you can cut 100 cals. skinning the chicken)
57.8 g fat (cut cheese to lower)
4.8 g carbs, 0.95 g fiber, 3.85 g NET CARBS
64 g protein
1107 mg sodium (use half cream and half water in sauce to cut)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-18-16, 19:03

Plan: LCHF/ketogenic
Stats: 163/132/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Looks amazing! Thanks for sharing!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-05-17, 08:26

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67