Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-19-11, 00:09

Plan: CALP CAD
Stats: 148/142/125 Female 5ft 6in
BF:
Progress:
Default Advice please!!

Just need a bit of help here. I'm lacto vegetarian and was losing really well for first 3 weeks (2lbs a week). My cravings are gone and I can wait for 4 to 5 hours between meals which is a miracle in itself. This week I've stalled totally as far as weight loss goes and was wondering if I'm eating too much cheese and paneer. I'm adding some to all my meals to get in the protein. I was wondering about adding Protein powder to my vegies instead sometimes. I have a raw one from Garden of Life that is made totally from sprouted grains, bean and seeds etc. Also wondering about sprinkling a bit of Hemp meal which is also a good source of protein. One more thing...are macademias allowed...they seem to be quite low carb as far as nuts go. Would really appreciate some guidance. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-19-11, 03:11

Plan: atkins..paleo later
Stats: 182/173/154 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I just couldn't effectively lose on a veggie diet, having been veggy for decades, I read The Vegetarian Myth, http://lierrekeith.com/vegmyth.htm
and started eating meat again...the weight is dropping off!
depends why you are a veggie I suppose, but don't be afraid to read and re-think!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-19-11, 06:45
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi-

one of my best friends is a pescatarian- eats fish and dairy/eggs only - and she is on CALP. Loses very little but likes the health benefits.

I don't know why you think that you lose weight every week. This is a lifestyle/eating style that does also provide weight loss if you do it right and if you have weight to lose- but it is SLOW.
I was on a year to lose my weight, and I think I'm pretty good at being OP and I no longer lose weight at all.
But I feel great.

There is some in the Heller books about being a veggie- but not much. If you google vegetarian low carb I know of at least one book that comes up.

This is a YMMV issue. I know lots of people on this site use protein powder/shakes- there is even a long thread about it someplace- but I have never had one and don't know much about it. Never heard of one from grains- the ones I see on this board are whey based or soy based.
Don't know about hemp being high in protein- fiber yes, but protein?
All vegetable based protein, as far as I know, is not complete. Need other complementary proteins to make it complete. Eggs and dairy, being animal based, are complete. Is this right?
The Hellers did not allow nuts at all except at RM- I eat 10-12 almonds daily not in RM. SO it is a YMMV issue. Macademias and almonds seem to be the best.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-20-11, 10:09

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the Help!!! I really appreciate it.
My reason for the vegie diet are ethical and I could never change. Its been 37 years now!!! I do realise that I have somehow become a carb addict over this time although I always considered myself a very healthy eater!!! So I think I just need to do lots of tweaking to make it work for me.... I don't have much to lose. Just don't want those cravings to come back...and thats where I will have to be careful with tweaking! I also know now I shouldn't expect to lose each week. I'm going to try more exercise too as I have 6weeks end of year holidays and no excuses!!!! Will keep you all posted...you never know there could be others like me who want to try this.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-20-11, 10:49

Plan: CALP & Exercise
Stats: 236/129/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 111%

I can't see why this program wouldn't work for anyone willing to follow the guidelines. Include the foods you love, be patient, and allow your weight to take care of itself.

This program really does work if you consider it a lifestyle and try and remember that the scale is not the only tool that recognizes weight loss.

Wishing you the best in eliminating cravings!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-21-11, 06:38

Plan: SEC
Stats: 198/183/150 Female 168 (5.512 ft)
BF:
Progress: 31%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegiegirl
Just need a bit of help here. I'm lacto vegetarian and was losing really well for first 3 weeks (2lbs a week). My cravings are gone and I can wait for 4 to 5 hours between meals which is a miracle in itself. This week I've stalled totally as far as weight loss goes and was wondering if I'm eating too much cheese and paneer. I'm adding some to all my meals to get in the protein. I was wondering about adding Protein powder to my vegies instead sometimes. I have a raw one from Garden of Life that is made totally from sprouted grains, bean and seeds etc. Also wondering about sprinkling a bit of Hemp meal which is also a good source of protein. One more thing...are macademias allowed...they seem to be quite low carb as far as nuts go. Would really appreciate some guidance. Thanks.

Hey Veggie girl! Welcome!

Macadamia nuts nuts seem to have around 3,5 gr./100 gr. carbs.
if you add something to the meal/snack to lower the cabs you may feel even more "secure".

I eat lots of veggie food as well. On the CAD I can eat slightly more food that I am sensible to. I have days I eat soy yoghurt with some cream in it and ground vanilla bean.

I try to eat simple and organic & biodynamic food, but if I were to chose between a meal with to much carbs in it I rather eat what my blood sugar level would prefer I would have to pick the right meal and sometimes even eat non organic foods.

The CAD it self helps me to a certain level to detox every day.
It allows me to cleans with good fats and oils, all the sallads and fresh greens give me energy, enzymes, water....
The carbs give me the calmness and satisfaction my body really craves.

Do you have any cool soft toffy recipe?
Bless!
/Happy girl

The CAD allows us to eat so much ... but not too much!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-21-11, 08:17

Plan: Divinely Mine
Stats: 223.8/222.8/170.0 Female 5'8''
BF:
Progress: 2%

Do you have any cool soft toffy recipe?
Bless!
/Happy girl

ooooh. I could go for that! I tend to do the nut/coconut nut oil/protien powder mix then freeze. But some toffy would be so nice!

I always remember someone telling me years ago - weight never leads, it only follows. And I have seen this true in my life. As long as I am doing what I am to be doing (eating the right foods, walking etc) the weight slowly comes down. BUT if I think ok, this week I need to lose 1-2 pounds and focus on that.... well either nothing happens or I go up. This is a way of life for me, so the weight needs to follow my choices. Side note - I do more veg meals in coconut oil as I find it sits better with me - and all my allergies.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-02-12, 21:20
Registered Member

Plan: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet
Stats: 172/159/130 Female 67ins
BF:

I think if it's a choice beteen the protein powder or cheeses, you'd be better off with the cheeses: I say this because sprouted grains, bean and seeds you mention in the powder are ALL carboriffic, I eat a lot of bean/grain combos to get the complete protein and none of them are remotely CM-friendly.

Plateaus are the norm on all weightloss plans, so I would suggest you stick with it and see how it goes instead of adding a potentially carby new factor... I'm not a nutritionist or anything, I must add, but I am keenly interested and have done a lot of reading, esp. on low-carb for vegetarians.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-03-12, 10:33

BF:
Progress:

Hi, thanks for all your advice. I must say I have found this program just too limiting and restrictive for me as a vegetarian (no meat fish or eggs). I tend to live for that RM and don't feel very balanced. So I have been experimenting for the last week with the Insulin resistance Diet which also balances blood sugar by being careful about the carb/protein ratio when eating. It allows beans, lentils nuts etc as a protein source and I have to admit it is so much easier for me to follow. If this brings on cravings or binges I will go back to the drawing board with CAD/CALP as that was one of my major reasons for going low carb.
Sorry, I don't have a good soft toffy recipe!!! Will let you know if I come across one!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-03-12, 11:03

Plan: CALP & Exercise
Stats: 236/129/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 111%

Good for you!

I hope you find what what you are looking for by following the Insulin Resistance Diet. We are all individuals and finding the right program for each and everyone of us is the most important thing we can do for ourselves.

Best wishes on your new journey and I hope this is the right one for you!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-12, 06:28
Registered Member

Plan: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet
Stats: 172/159/130 Female 67ins
BF:

I can totally understand that, and agree about finding what works best - when I first did this in the '90s I took away some valuable information about my own responses to different types of carbs, and about how to space meals out to get the best results, and that knowledge served me for years until i started to "forget" (as in, no longer associate it with what was important or applicable for me)...

I'm totally confident you can find a great WOE that is healthful for you, because despite all that's said about carbs in general, hundreds of generations of Hindu and Buddhist people have been lacto-vegetarians and thrived on it, creating some of the greatest ethical and metaphysical thinking in history along the way (eg the Vedas & the work of Gandhi) - the higher rates of diabetes we hear about are the result of modernised diets, NOT of that way of life in general.

All of which I'm sure you know, but just spouting off after a hard night's work!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-12, 16:08

BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks for your encouragement

Thank you all for your encouragement. I know I don't just want a diet, but a way of eating that is practical and sustainable without compromising my values. I'll keep you all posted about my journey.