Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Apr-04-07, 09:00

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 170/144/135 Female 165cm
BF:no idea
Progress: 74%

I had a plan all figured out for this holiday. I was taking certain foods (ww pita and rye crispbreads and oat crackers and natural peanutbutter) with me as I wasn't sure they'd be available. I'd planned the structure to my days so I wouldn't be tempted to snack. I was taking my own snacks for the times that I did snack.

I was even taking my own food on the airplane as I doubt you get SB-friendly meals on flights - It's an 8 hour flight too.

But that plan's going to have to be changed now.

I can see some lunch dilemmas on the cards once again . . .

2/3
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Apr-04-07, 09:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemanjs4
2/3 I wouldn't worry about not having a scale. If you're really eating on plan, your body will lose the weight. Make sure you drink LOTS of water, particularly while you're on vacation. It's going to be hard not to eat plantains and black beans with rice while you're on vacation. It's also going to be hard to stay away from fatty meats. I love Carribean food, but it's very dangerous. Even the fruits tend to be sweeter, tropical fruits. So please be careful. Don't worry about the scale - if you really do stay on plan, you'll be down when you come back from vacation. Best of luck to you!

And as to the 5 lbs. It's NOT HUMANLY POSSIBLE for you to have gained 5lbs of fat. Similarly, you couldn't have lost 5 lbs of fat in one week before either. Much of this is water weight - remember water is incredibly heavy. Don't let it discourage you.

I plan to eat lots of grilled or boiled fish.
Fruit wise I'll stick mostly to bananas - not the best fruit, I know but I don't think I'll get berries (which is the fruit I've added so far) and I'm no fan of citrus or apples.

Can't plantain be treated the same as bananas and counted towards the fruit allowance?

2/3
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-07, 00:32

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 280/211/200 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2of3
I plan to eat lots of grilled or boiled fish.
Fruit wise I'll stick mostly to bananas - not the best fruit, I know but I don't think I'll get berries (which is the fruit I've added so far) and I'm no fan of citrus or apples.

Can't plantain be treated the same as bananas and counted towards the fruit allowance?

2/3

I really try to avoid bananas as much as possible. They are very sweet and starchy and I think are quite a bit higher on the glycemic index. I prefer fruits with either thick skins or lots of seeds, which add lots of fiber to slow down and balance out the sugar content of the fruit. Also, try to add in some fiber or fat (ie dairy) while you eat your bananas. Eat some yogurt with them, or a piece of cheese. I think you'll do great with the fish. Also, make sure to take some almonds or other nuts with you - particularly for the flight. I can't tell you how many times I've travelled to events with a bag of raw almonds in my pocket. I'd munch on those while others were eating popcorn or sausage on a stick lol.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-07, 01:39

Fruit are a confusing issue. Guava has a zillion seeds that you eat along with the fruit. It also happens to be one of my favourite fruits. But I don't know where it stands on the GI scale. There are lots of other fruits that I also can't work out.

The book covers the basics - many of which I don't like and never ate pre-SBD. Things like citrus. Apples I don't like either.

But I won't be eating them in the Caribbean if I did, as a matter of principal. Why should I be in the caribbean eating imported fruit that costs 5x the price and the locals can barely afford it. It's unethical. I don't even by food that's out of season here. (mini rant over :-))

I'll just see what local fruits I find and make my own judgements. I can't do worse than gaining 5lbs or more correctly having not lost any weight in more than 2 weeks.

2/3