Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-02-16, 06:03

Plan: aTKINS
Stats: 190/182/160 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress:
Question So frustrated!

Good morning! I could really use some opinions.

I've started back on a low carb diet, Atkins. I did this diet very successfully 15 years ago and lost 40 pounds. I kept the weight off for years. Unfortunately I fell off the wagon and have gained it back slowly over the last 3 years. Poor eating habits, very little exercise due to a couple of ruptured discs.

So a bit over two weeks ago I started up again. I know what I'm supposed to do, as I mentioned I did this diet very successfully years ago and kept it off with Atkins maintenance.

The first week I lost 8 pounds. Yippee. The diet is working. The following week nothing. Nada. My weight has frozen.

I am keeping it under 15 carbs a day.. actually more like 10. Am I being too drastic and my body is in shock?

I am following induction guide lines, outside of one cup of coffee a day with an artificial sweetener. I also have had a few cocktails here and there. Vodka with soda and lime.

I'm pounding water.

Please tell me if I just need to be more patient or if you think I may be making some classic mistakes.

Thanks in advance!

Heather
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-02-16, 06:56

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I don't think you're being too drastic. A couple things could undermine you in the beginning. First, I'd lose the cocktails for about 30 days as you make this transition, and then add them back conservatively after the 30 days to see if they cause a stall. Otherwise, it sounds like you're doing the right things. Make sure your artificial sweetener, particularly if it's in powder form, doesn't have any additional sugars. Splenda is the one that comes to mind, and the powder contains dextrose and maltodextrin. Now, the FDA considers the amounts of these added sugars too small to make a difference, but people with high insulin resistance can experience stalls. Many of the liquid forms of sucralose (Splenda) available contain no added sugars.

Be patient, as your initial weight loss is primarily water and your metabolism is adjusting to this transition. Be sure to consume enough salt! That's important as you go forward. Stay strict with low carbs, and you'll start to see results. Start to vary your meals within the Atkins guidelines to enjoy the delicious possibilities available in the plan, and most of all, enjoy the journey. Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-02-16, 07:30

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome Heather,
You are making some classic "second time around" mistakes. Dr Eades has good articles explaining them. https://proteinpower.com/drmike/201...w-carb-dieters/
Some you can't do anything about...you're 15 years older and as a woman, likely have a different hormone status. Others are the tendency to "remember" the later phases and skip induction ...no alcohol allowed to start.
And your weight loss pattern is common as Rob explained, you willl settle into a typical 1-2 pound loss per week http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=365499
All the best,
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-10-17, 08:11

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 141/132.6/125 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 53%

This is great for me too as on day 6 I might have even gained a little back. And I am in the same boat with the alcohol and coffee too...I truly think I have to let go of the alcohol (not even drinking that much) and focus more on Atkins rules...??

I think it's predominantly age. Love the feed back and thank you!

And JEY those articles are helpful, thanks!!!

Last edited by dandelionp : Tue, Jan-10-17 at 08:31.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-17, 15:02

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 209/201/190 Male 5'11''
BF:
Progress:

I would try and stay away from the scale so much and limit weigh ins to twice a month at the same time of day. The less I weighed myself, the less discouraged I was. One thing I didn't do but know I probably should is lose the alcohol but it really hasn't affected my progress up to this point. That being said, I think it would definitely help reach my goals if I did limit the amount so I may give it a shot. Good luck!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-17, 19:10

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Eight pounds in the first week? Clearly that is not fat loss when you consider that that amounts to 4000 kcal of fat per day. So it is something else -- the something else is water that is shed as the body transitions from burning glucose to burning ketones, which requires a different electrolyte balance.

It is not at all uncommon for the body to overshoot in doing this and to have to reclaim some water at the end, hence you might see a weight gain or a protracted plateau shortly after the big initial loss. If you understand what is going on, it makes it easier to accept and work through, but I don't think anyone ever actually is at peace with it -- it's just damn frustrating.

As you go forward (and you might recall this from your first go, though different people are different and some don't follow this pattern) but you will probably go for extended periods of time (measured in weeks) of not losing any weight or even gaining some followed by a short bout of losing several pounds in just a few days (known as a whoosh). This is due to the body holding back water to keep the fat cells at their full volume, expecting the fat to be replenished once the short-term famine is over, and then deciding that it is time to let things go. In my case the normal pattern is that I stay the same for about two weeks and then dump five pounds in a couple days. Wash, rinse, repeat.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-17, 08:32

BF:

Say Heatheral!

How are you today?

I gotta say I had a "stall" (maybe just a mini one?) and really spent some time reading and looking and researching. What I decided to do after all that was lighten my intake, I was eating too much, especially cheese. Relying on cheese more to add to the carb load. So way less cheese, lots more green, and more suppers that are simple like meat and veggie. Leaning on veggies to fill my carb count more. I've even tried the coconut oil in my coffee! So I am starting to come down a little!

But also- it really is my age I believe. Maybe for a lot of gals who struggle....My metabolism has totally changed, which has made it harder to controlmwhatbisnhappening physically. So the biggest change for me??? Realizing this really cannot be a diet but a different way to look at my life- my attitude seriously jump started a momentum that was building and helped me let go...

So I feel better. I am not so puffy in the morning! Almost at 2 weeks and about -5. BUT also not being disappointed with fluctuation- hormones!

It's taken me some time. I am a gal that needs to read a lot and see what other folks go through and that really inspires me.

I wish you good Monday energy!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-17, 09:05

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Heather posted once in November, unlikely to be back.
But good for you dandelion for figuring what tweaks you need to do to be successful and make this a WOE (way of eating) not a diet.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-17-17, 06:58

BF:

Thanks Jey. Yeah! Patience, right?
And the research has been fun!

Thank you for being a positive entity here!