Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-16-16, 12:55

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 190.4/180.4/140 Female 53
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Menopause

For any ladies going through menopause, do you find that you have to count calories as well as carbs? Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-16-16, 13:12

Plan: Paleo-ish general LC
Stats: 151/119/118 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 97%

I'm slightly postmenopausal, maybe about one year out, and I have found that to lose weight, it is necessary to count them, or at least pay some modicum of attention to it. Actually, that's been pretty true for me all along, except for the first days of Atkins induction. I have recently lost about 13 pounds doing my best to keep track of calories, but without becoming too obsessive. At the very least I let myself just "be hungry" for a couple of hours without running for a snack. Even that seems to help and makes it more bearable. Some people swear by intermittent fasting.
Having said that, there are many people here who would disagree it's necessary and have the results to prove it. Personally, I think it depends on your overall health, metabolism/chemistry, stage of life, how long LC, etc.

Regardless, if you're new to LC, get the basic habits and principles down very firm so that calorie counting is secondary in your mind.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-16-16, 13:38

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Menopause was maybe 8 to 10 years ago. I've counted calories from time to time, but the big numbers make my head hurt - carbs are easier to count.

That said, I found I do better with IF, which does reduce calories as well as carbs & protein, since I'm skipping a meal. Had I discovered IF before menopause, it would likely have been as much of a help then as it is now.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-16-16, 14:02
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:

Well, not as such, however I suppose if I want to lose more weight I will have to cut back on calories. I'd never stoop to counting them though.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-16-16, 15:32

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

I had a hard time during the transition from peri-to-full menopause, I admit, but I was only counting carbs (under 20), and was stuck for months without losing weight. I should have stuck with it, and maybe counting calories would have helped, but I didn't.

Now that I'm past that (I'm 58), I'm incorporating IF, and that is definitely working. I sincerely wished I had known about the LCHF + IF approach back then as I would have tried it for sure. And with this WOE, I'm just naturally eating fewer calories, but I don't have to try at all -- so still not counting them.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-16-16, 16:53

Plan: Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 156/120/125 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 116%

I was right in the beginnings of post menopause when I started Atkins (had not had a period for 6 months), and I lost all the weight I wanted by staying at 20-25gr carbs for three months. The last five lbs. were tough, so I cut calories by limiting portion sizes and counting for a few weeks. When that didn't seem to work, I tried intermittent fasting instead, and went back to eating as much as I wanted, and the last few lbs. dissappeared! By that time I was done with menopause.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-17-16, 02:51

BF:

Thanks ladies....what id IF? How does it work. I really like this site. I have checked out others but there were not as active as this one. I think because I am a chronic overeater I should probably enter my food to keep somewhat track of the calories...it seems that if I get over 1500 calories even with less than 10 total cars (I don't do the net carb thing) I don't lose. Fine for maintenance but I want to lose about 40 pounds and I am over not feeling healthy.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-17-16, 08:06

Plan: Paleo-ish general LC
Stats: 151/119/118 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 97%

There's a couple different ways to do IF, some people fast for several hours between meals daily, or do a couple 24 hour fasts weekly. Someone else will know more, but I believe it has metabolic effects and a beneficial effect on blood sugar. Cuts hunger too, I think. Sorry for the cruddy explanation, I can't do it because migraines.
I'd say if you have tried strictly low carbing (and 10 should be sufficiently low) and are not losing it could be something in particular you're eating, water retention, etc. Your body can be losing fat, but holding on to fluid for a time. Suddenly the fluid will leave, and that's called a "whoosh" (weight drops) How long have you been trying? There's a thread somewhere called Why the Scale Can Lie, will try to find.

Last edited by Ilikemice : Sun, Jul-17-16 at 08:12.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-17-16, 08:19

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 212/169/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Hi HorseChick; On low carb healthy fat there's really no reason to count calories, menopause or not. The Atkins books are supremely helpful to know how to be a purist on LCHF to get best results. And then, each individual finds their sweet spot for how many carbs to allow ... under 50, at 20, or even less than 20 g per day.
It's so important to eat healthy fat when low carbing. Healthy fat prolly helps menopausal women. I've been in menopause since a complete hysterectomy in my mid 30s. I aim to get my carbs only from veggies/salads.
The only time I concern myself with calories is making sure I eat enough ... especially when weight lifting. But on those days, my calories are upped with protein and fat, not nasty carbs.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jul-17-16, 08:36

Plan: LCHF/ketogenic
Stats: 163/132/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Counting calories might be a good idea for a bit, just to know, because they do matter. If you are in ketosis, you should be able to eat less and feel satisfied. Stop eating when you are full. I am counting calories, along with net carbs, since they're included in the Atkins app, and am usually in the 1,200-1,500 range without really trying to keep them low. Once you have a feel for how many you're eating and know they're reasonable, you can probably stop counting, as long as you stay consistent.

I have not quite reached menopause, but am definitely close. I went six months without a period and, two weeks into low carb, I got my period. I suspect my hormones were happy about the reduction in insulin.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-17-16, 13:47

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseChick
Thanks ladies....what id IF? How does it work. I really like this site. I have checked out others but there were not as active as this one. I think because I am a chronic overeater I should probably enter my food to keep somewhat track of the calories...it seems that if I get over 1500 calories even with less than 10 total cars (I don't do the net carb thing) I don't lose. Fine for maintenance but I want to lose about 40 pounds and I am over not feeling healthy.

IF is Intermittent Fasting and is very popular right now. There are many different books and methods, but I follow the Jason Fung protocol which is in his book, The Obesity Code, and there are a couple of threads here related to diabetes as well as weight loss. The idea is to lower your insulin resistance (especially if you are diabetic or obese) by having several hours of not eating. Honestly, for an older woman like me who does not eat much, eats under 20 carbs, and is fairly active, the idea of not losing weight is incredibly discouraging. But now that I know that my body just didn't have the tools to access it's fat storage, and that I can facilitate that process, I feel incredibly uplifted and hopeful.

I think LCHF + IF is the ultimate tool for me -- the two methods combined are the only way I am losing weight. But this is not true for everyone, and I don't suggest that everyone should do it.

Not everyone likes or needs to fast, and it's something you should do some reading about before you try it. If you are on any medication, that has to be taken into consideration. And extended fasts should be discussed with your doctor to make sure you don't have any health issues that could be affected by a fast.

If you truly are a chronic overeater, though, it will be quite a revelation to you that you don't need to eat, or that even you don't want to eat. In ketosis, you should be able to discover when you are truly hungry, and that it's not a big deal to be hungry, and that it can even be a somewhat desirable feeling as you know at that point you will be able to use your own fat for fuel.

Anyway, do some research, OK? Your calorie intake at this point may not be an issue. Every once in awhile I put all my food into a calculator (especially on days when I think I've eaten a lot), and I'm rarely above 1500 calories. The goal is to get to those fat stores, and get your own fat used for fuel -- focusing on calories might defeat that purpose (some here might disagree with this).

Good luck and stay around for support.

Kat
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jul-17-16, 18:07

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmeyster
If you truly are a chronic overeater, though, it will be quite a revelation to you that you don't need to eat, or that even you don't want to eat.
Kat

That's what I learned & it was quite a revelation! I used to binge & would get so hungry if I tried to cut down portion sizes or number of meals. I really thought I was different. Until Lent this year & I decided to fast on Ash Wednesday. And I did it! So then I started skipping the evening meal (worked better for me than skipping breakfast) and actually started eating less at breakfast & my late lunch (5 or 6 hours after breakfast). I'm finding it almost unbelievable how much less food I'm eating, without being very hungry at all. There is a learning curve, tho. I found out I was eating too much protein & once I lowered that my blood sugar started going down.

Knowing I don't have to eat is very freeing.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jul-18-16, 03:33

BF:

Thanks everyone, all your input was very helpful :-)