Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-21-16, 16:11

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 269/269/200 Female 5'6""
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question HFLC question

Forgive me if this is a silly question, but is there a difference between high fat low carb and basic low carb? I researched a bit, and was getting more confused. Does the higher fat meats and such make a difference?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-16, 17:00
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 195/162/140 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 60%

I'm sure some greater experts will weigh in here, but it's not a silly question and there is a difference in how your body reacts to the food as well as how you will feel on the diet.

Besides carbs, you ingest protein and fats. Too much protein is thought to be used by the body in a similar fashion to carbs. That is not true for fat, and because you feel fuller from eating fats you tend to eat less.

Low carb eating without sufficient fats isn't a fun diet. Our bodies are not ledgers that weigh each day's food and add/subtract pounds so calorie counting does not work the way we have been told for decades. Not to say that calories don't count, because for some people, especially those at a lower weight, do have to watch calories as well as carbs.

Please look around this forum and use the search function - there are answers here that can get as scientific as you would like.

For me, a life without bacon is sad. It's a huge change from what has been drilled into us our whole lives. I was LCHF'ing a while before I stopped my normal habit of supplementing one egg with a bunch of whites. It felt kind of wrong to eat more yolks but it's right!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-16, 18:38

BF:

Thank you so much for your reply. You explained it very well and easy to understand! I didn't realize too much protein can act like carbs. I imagine that would take someone out of ketosis. I am definitely going to look at this in a different way now. A more updated low carb. Very interesting! Thanks again!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-16, 18:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Rainy, it's called gluconeogenesis. Basically: creating new sugar.

The liver does it with proteins, to give the body the carbs it does need.

There is NOT a consensus, though on what that number is. The brain needs some, but mostly, it needs fat, and we tend to NOT give it enough of that, based on the nonsense we've been told is good nutritional advice since the Ancel Keys day.

If you get enough fat, the body will use it, and then your body fat, for energy, because the low carb levels lower the insulin levels, and the fat cells can then release fat. The primary purpose of insulin is to maintain the fat reserves by allowing for triglycerides to be made, and preventing them from leaving the fat cells to be broken down for energy.

Actually--see that "glyceride" in triglyceride? That is sugar. So, when the fat from the fat cells is released, it, too, gives some carbs back to the system.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-23-16, 12:47

BF:

Thank you for your reply. It's really interesting that it works that way, with to much protein causes this to happen. Is there a way to determine how much is too much? Is it perhaps based on a persons weight? This may have been my problem when I tried low carb a few years ago, when I barely lost anything, so I got frustrated and gave up. Now I know there's a reason for it! Thanks again ☺
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-23-16, 13:07

People use macros of 70% fat, etc.

But I think that the easiest way (for me, at least) is to count carbs and leave them low, and then use the fat that the meat came with. So, no skinless/boneless crud, use the whole item, whether chicken thighs or pork chops or steak.

Look for the fattier cuts, and dig right in to bacon, and eggs fried in bacon fat, etc.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-23-16, 14:41

BF:

Thank you. I've been researching, and have seen that My Fitness Pal can track proteins, carbs, macros, etc. I'm going to check it out. The fat in meats and eggs fried in butter, would that allow for to high of proteins, or will the extra fat balance it out? I've briefly looked at macros, which is still confusing.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-23-16, 16:45

I wouldn't get TOO wound up about it; as we get closer to our goal weight, the macros matter a little more. But part of that 70% can come from body fat.

As I said, use the naturally occurring fat, and don't buy lean and extra lean or low fat products, and you should be fine, so long as you keep the actual carbs low.

Have you tested to see if you are in ketosis? I never use the strips, but then, when I get a sweet taste in my mouth, or my urine smells sweet, I know.

I prefer the mouth taste test, as you can well imagine!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-23-16, 18:22

BF:

I went today and bought ketone strips. I was so happy to see they were over the counter, I remember in the past having to get them from the pharmacy counter. I am in ketosis! I'm in the darkish purple, but not the darkest. I was pleased, but a bit surprised because I wasn't noticing the ketosis breath.😂 I wont stress about the macros. I'm glad you explained the need for more fat, and to get more fatty cuts of meat. Thank you very much!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Apr-23-16, 18:33

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 184.4/134.6/135 Female 5'3"
BF:32.8/23.9
Progress: 101%

You might want to visit the FB group LCHF Low Carb High Fat. They have pinned posts that are all very informative and all have scientific back up. They also have the OKL chart which will tell you how much protein to have for you so you do not experience muscle or hair loss. High fat does not mean unlimited fat. In your daily fat macro your actual excess body fat is calculated in for energy. I will tell you I was stalled and losing very slowly and then I went to this site, figured my macros, read all the information they have and have been losing steadily since then. I am not telling you you have to do anything but you owe it to yourself to learn as much as you can as you do this. Go luck on your journey to good health!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Apr-23-16, 19:20

BF:

Thank you very much. I will find the FB site you mentioned. I joined a couple these past few days. I'm not sure if one of them is the one you are talking about. I really appreciate your advice. You are absolutely right. Researching, and doing this the best way possible for me is what I should be aiming for! I will keep researching as much as I can ☺
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Apr-23-16, 19:55

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

There is a general formula for the ideal amount of protein consumption per day based on the amount of lean body mass one has. I'm guessing that the FB group that Enaid has referenced will have this specific information. It is extremely helpful, as we need protein, but as MickieSue explained, too much of a good thing can be too much of a no longer good thing. When you realize that of the 3 macros, fat, protein, and carbs, carbs are the only one that humans do not require. That means we can live a healthy life on zero carbs. So, to reduce carb intake to a reasonable amount, we need to balance fats and proteins. Fats serve to provide the body energy and work to provide the feeling of satiety. Proteins provide the amino acids we need to grow and regenerate our bodies, and a limited amount goes a long way.

Last edited by GRB5111 : Sun, Apr-24-16 at 07:32.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Apr-24-16, 13:05

BF:

Thank you so much for this. I always thought energy came from carbs only. Interesting that fat gives the body energy as well. Im going to check out the FB site. I would like to figure out the formula for how much proteins are too much for me.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Apr-24-16, 13:16

BF:

Thank you so much for this. I always thought energy came from carbs only. Interesting that fat gives the body energy as well. Im going to check out the FB site. I would like to figure out the formula for how much proteins are too much for me.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Apr-28-16, 00:11

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

When I came back to this board after being away for 6 years, everybody was talking about high fat. I had to do some research to learn how it is different than the old low carb Atkins way of eating, and why it's important.

So I've learned that there are only 3 macronutrients: Carbohydrates, Protein, and Fat. And so now people are looking at the ratios of those 3, rather than just limiting carbs.

After reading a couple of books, I know that one of the reasons people want a high fat diet, is so that they moderate the amount of protein (they've already lowered carbs). One reason to do this is because protein increases insulin (although not blood glucose), and for some of us we need to lower insulin levels in our body, as well as limit when we eat, in order to lose weight and gain health.

The books I read were Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes and The Obesity Code by Jason Fung -- highly recommend both.