Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-05-10, 13:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Default Victoria July get-together?

How's the holiday plans for y'all?

Would like to stay in touch, and so far lunches on weekends or light dinners on weeknights seem to be the best solutions.

Feedback, my friends?

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-05-10, 13:36

Plan: LC w/o "counting" carbs.
Stats: 320/259/185 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 45%

I'm up for anything as long as I get ample time to negotiate rush hour traffic.

Still up for a "bake off" as well!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-05-10, 13:37

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

I agree ... it seems that's what works best, and I also agree that it will be super if Janet and Anny could arrange to meet with us too!

I don't have any plans yet for July other than my usual Tuesday & Wednesday weekday blackout, and a club meeting Thursday the 22nd which includes dinner.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-05-10, 17:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

I PM'd the link to this thread to both JamNut and SunPines...

#5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-05-10, 19:25

BF:

Good thinking Jude! They may not be getting notices of new posts to threads the same as many of us. I hope they get the email about the PM ... I wasn't getting those either until I switched to a gmail address. It's a painful workaround, but at least it works!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-05-10, 20:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 283.0/233.0/175.0 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 46%

Hi

I always check the threads to see how you guys are going. The only way I can get over to the big city would be on a weekend during July & Aug. I have Sept. vacation time so will be more flexible for that month.

Janet
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-05-10, 20:53
WannaHaveFun

Plan: protvegfatprotvegfatprotv
Stats: 183/165/155 Female 67 in
BF:
Progress: 64%

hi, everybody, thanks for thinking of me. Not coping too well with miscellaneous demands lately, but hoping things will start to settle down now! Will watch the thread. Cheers!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-06-10, 14:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156/146.8/139 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

I'm up for a bake off, lunch, dinner, picnic etc. I miss you gals when I don't see you for a while!

I'm busy with mum right now getting her ready to move but will also be off work all next week. I'm out of town July 25-30.

After that I am home until Labour Day weekend when I'm going camping in Oregon with my crazy American friends.

take care, Julie
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-06-10, 23:48
Registered Member

Plan: Caveman
Stats: 175/160/120 Female 5'66"
BF:
Progress: 27%

would all of you ladies like to have a barbecue at my place on a Saturday or Sunday (a different day is ok for me too but weekdays might not suit everyone), at my place?

My place and backyard are not fancy at all, but the backyard is set up and fine for a barbie with the barbecue and some garden furniture.

I am not home on the weekend of July 31st / August 1st, also away the weekend of August 21st and 22nd, but the rest of the time I think I am home.

Let me know your thoughts.

Erika
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-10, 22:28

BF:

Erika, a barbecue in your backyard sounds like super idea to me! But only if you promise you'll provide the barbecue and the backyard and that you'll let the rest of us bring the food - either arranged or pot-luck. I don't think it's fair if one of us has to provide the venue and still has to provide part of the food!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-08-10, 12:46
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Glenda

I am so glad you like the idea.

As for food, well we are Atkins people struggling to loose weight, so I don't imagine we would be having a huge buffet smorgasbord or anything like that, however I very much appreciate your concern.

I wonder how everyone else would like to do it? Maybe bring their own item for the barbecue? Or we can go buy something at Costco and maybe each person can give back $5 towards the cost of meat, or of course any other ideas are appreciated.

It wouldn't be a complicated menu, just some meat on the barbecue, and anything else the ladies want, maybe a salad or something.

Please let us know your ideas.

Also I am thinking that if the ladies want to invite the man in their lives this is fine.

But if they want to make it a ladies time out only, that's ok too.

Bryan's dad will be gone by then and Bryan is so busy with his jobs that he might not even be around, or just long enough to cook the meat. He is not antisocial, just very busy. He thinks it's great that we have a barbecue here.

I am very open and flexible, I will go with your ideas.

Erika
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jul-19-10, 19:12

BF:

Great idea!

I also think it would be fun to bring the men! Bruno's only days off right now are Wednesday and Thursday....so if it's a "guy thing" those days would suit us best...otherwise any weekend except the 7-8th of August.

Potluck sounds good...plus bring your own BBQ item?
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jul-20-10, 15:05
Registered Member

BF:

great!

Bryan is in Vancouver for work on wednesdays, but thursdays and weekends are fine. We can go ahead on a wednesday too, but would need someone to barbecue as I haven't learnt yet.

I will ask him for his suggestion on the food.

It's ok if people bring something, but we don't want too much food, so maybe what we can do is one person can bring say a salad, another one a bottle of soft drink, someone else dessert (or more people can do this if we still want to do the cheesecake exchange), we (Bryan and I) can perhaps get the meat but if there is something very specific that you want barbecued then you can bring it along as well, peppers taste really good on the barbie so maybe someone can bring 4 or 5 peppers, I think that this would work. I don't want to make this very expensive for anyone either, like I wouldn't want people to spend more than say $5 or $10 at the most. We can get some meat from costco.

what do we all think?

The days that we can not do are August 16th, 20th, 21st and 22nd.

I am wondering how about Thursday August 12th?

It would be great if everyone could post with their availibility and what they would like to bring (pop, salad, dessert, etc), maybe we can start getting organised this way.

Erika
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jul-20-10, 15:20

BF:

I am available on August 12th and would be happy to bring drinks! (any special requests?) I'll try get a bag of ice too.

I also have a friend (or two) who are both low-carb/Paleo and are interested in joining our group. Is it OK if I bring one (or both) along?
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jul-20-10, 16:15

BF:

August 12th looks good here too as far as I know right now. Not sure I can talk John into coming as he's so hard of hearing he feels like a bump-on-a-log, but maybe a bbq would be different as there's not so much extra noise as there is in a restaurant.

Steph, as it's not my yard, it's not really my place to say, but I sure have no objection to a couple of potential new members joining us! Erika, if you need more chairs to accommodate everybody, I have some folding bridge chairs I can bring.

I can bring a fauxtato salad and a couple of litres of red wine. As far as meat is concerned, Thrifty Foods has some pretty good sirloin burgers in the frozen foods section with no sugar or extraneous junk in them - just a few spices and garlic - Compliments brand.