Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 16:23
Registered Member

Plan: CALP
Stats: 198/183.5/165 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default New here--here I go again!

Hi all--my name is Nicole and I am a diet-aholic! LOL Seriously though...I am having a horrible time losing weight after the birth of my third son (he's 3 1/2 now!). After my first two, I lost the weight by doing Weight Watchers, breastfeeding and exercise. I have tried WW again with no results even though I followed it to the T. I did TSP about a year ago (for 3 weeks) and although I didn't lose weight, I did feel better. I think the lack of weight loss made me give up (even though I know it can take awhile).

I have all of TSP books and have to say that the Program is actually a bit confusing to me. In her other book, she had a guide for how much carbs to eat depending on your activity level (I think mine was 15 grams per meal and 7 per snack) but now I don't see that anywhere in this new book and it's saying to eat 30 grams per meal and 15 per snack. Seems like a lot to me, but I'm willing to try it.

The other issue I am having is which plan to start with. I feel like my metabolism is messed up since I suddenly can't lose weight doing things like Weight Watchers, but when I take the quiz, it says to start with the Maintenance Plan. I guess I can try that and see what happens. If I don't lose any weight after a few weeks, then maybe I need to go on the Healing plan.

For those here who have lost weight--did you eat all the full-fat foods or did you do the low-saturated fat plan? I totally understand that fat is not the enemy here, but it does feel funny eating full fat yogurt and using butter again!

I'm sure I'll think of many other questions as I go so I will thank you all in advance for any help/advice you can give me!

p.s. anyone want to list some good snacks that they eat? The meals are pretty easy, but I get confused as to what is considered a carb (like yogurt) and what is considered a protein (like cheese). I would probably have put them both in the same category
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 17:14
Registered Member

Plan: Nondieting/Moderation
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 3%

Hi Nicole -

WELCOME! WELCOME! WELCOME!

I'm just starting SB myself, but just wanted to pop in to say welcome and to suggest that you read the post below entitled "Menu ideas for SP newbies....Actually any ideas."

There is a person in that thread that goes by "Ksrt." She was once a patient of Dr. S. Her input is VERY helpful!

All I know is that if you are a "diet-alcoholic," then you have, most likely, severely messed up your metabolism - like the rest of us (sigh).

From what I am reading in her book (book one), you really have no choice but to commit to this - even if you wind up gaining weight in the beginning. I'm sure you understand all of that or you wouldn't even be here. Just reiterating the obvious - haha.

From reading that thread, I learned that Dr. S has increased the recommended amount of carbs in her latest book. I just ordered book three and hope to glean more needed understanding from it. I think, if I'm remembering this right, Dr. S also recommends in the latest book that you might want to limit fruit to just one serving if you tend to have problems from eating fruit - ie, sugar highs/lows.

I am finding that if I keep my carbs at the "Healing" level (ie, 15 per meal x 3 meals per day; 7 per snack x 2), I get depressed and I also don't sleep as well. Both of those things are BIG indicators to me that I NEED more carbs. So I am upping them.

For me, it's not about weight loss anymore - and I have around 150 pounds to lose!!!

My snacks are fresh peaches or berries in some cream (oh, yum!) with a piece of beef jerky and some raw veggie slices (hence I am getting the good fat (cream) that keeps the insulin level in check, the good protein (beef) that is needed to rebuild, the carb (fruit) that is needed for energy and the veggies that are needed for the vitamin/mineral content).

I buy the beef jerkey from a good source. If I eat too much cheese, I don't feel as well. I use to eat this snack with cheese for the protein. I'm trying not to eat so much cheese - just to feel a little better. Don't know why it affects me like that.

As you continue to read her books and read the posts on this board, I think you will begin to understand what constitutes a protein and what constitutes a carb - as well as what is a protein/carb combo. Just keep reading. You'll get there.

Dr. S makes a very good point in book one about how, as we age, we need less carbohydrates for energy, yet we continue eating the same type of meals that we did 10 to 20 years earlier. That made a lot of sense to me. SO now I know that I don't need anywhere near what I use to eat, but the 15 carb limit, like I said, is not working, so I do have to up them in order to not become depressed and to get a much needed sleep. I think it's just a learning process. Our bodies are so individual....there's just no "one-way" diet for any of us. We are all too individual.

If you are like me, I always wanted a much simpler solution than this - however, once you learn the basics of this - and for me, knowlege is what is needed to understand why I am doing what I am doing - I think it will just get VERY easy. I am certain that there are many that will be able to explain that this really isn't that complicated. Though, for me, ANY change is complicated - haha!

I wish you the very, very best....and again, WELCOME!

There are a LOT more people on the board much more wise than I am that can aid you in this process. I know that there's a lot more to it than just what I was able to say, but I hope it helps you.

Onward!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 21:04
Registered Member

BF:

Teena-
Thanks so much for the thoughtful reply!! Even though I have read it all, it helped to have you say it too! LOL
I know that I may gain and that is hard for me because I am at my highest right now (195) and am in a size 16 jeans. I would be totally happy in a good size 14. I have no plans to ever try to be a 10 again BUT I really don't want to go into an 18. For me, that would be very hard. I would have to go out and actually buy new clothes since I seem to settle at a 16 after having kids and that is the highest my clothes go.
I'm going to cross my fingers that the worst thing is that I will stay the same for awhile...I can totally do that If I do go up, I am going to need some major support!! Especially since my dh just started working out and "watching" what he is eating and has already lost 15 lbs in 2 weeks! Don't you just hate that about men???
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 21:51

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 198/179/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Dear Nicole and Teena--
Welcome!

I can relate to both of you, since I am starting too.

Nicole, I'm almost the exact same size as you and also a mother of three. After the third, nothing ever came off, or rather it did , but returned with a vengeance. After my third child I was 140 and here I am many diets later with nearly 60 lbs more. Most of my adult life I was 120, so this is not something I've been able to get used to--size 16s and 18s.

The good news is that this Schwarzbein food is wholesome and well balanced. Being liberal with the fats seems to help a lot.

Homeschooling does nothing to relieve the stress of motherhood, either, but your bravery is commendable!

I agree with everything Teena said about Schwarzbein.

Good snacks I like:
Organic celery with good quality peanut butter.
Cream cheese inside of a slice of ham or roast beef.
Peanuts with salsa on them.
Olives and cheese.
Avocado, salsa and chicken.
Deviled eggs with Hellmans or Best Blue Ribbon real mayonnaise--( good mayo, not the cheesy kind with sugar, low fat crud)

Have you heard about Ron Rosedale, MD? I checked out people who are following his diet, which is also rich in fats,and they're losing quickly.

On Schwarzbein and high fat I'm currently losing about 1/10th to 2/10s of a pound a day--in a week that adds up to a pound.

The main thing is that I'm not suffering like I was on Weight Watchers--the fat deprivation made me permanently hungry and high carbs stalled me everytime.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 00:31
Registered Member

BF:

Hi all.....thought I'd check in before bed.

Just wanted to give the "thumbs up" for homeschooling.

We homeschooled our daughter who will be 21 this year. Whaaa! I miss homeschooling.

And for whatever it's worth, I'd LOVE to weigh 200!! Not funny, huh?

Those men! All that muscle sure seems to help their metabolisms. Maybe I need to go pump some iron? I can't even pump myself up out of this chair - haha!

I sure do love the people on this board!

I'll check in tomorrow.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 05:29

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 198/179/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Nicole and Teena,

I thought I should mention:
I am in awe of homeschoolers, I know quite a few. I just didn't have what it takes!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 13:58
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Santabarb, but are your children grown and out of school?

I didn't have what it took either - dumb as a doornail. Had her in public school - won't even go there. Tried private - $$$ and not much better than public school. Had a friend decide to homeschool, so we thought we'd "try" it for one year. We NEVER looked back.

For less than about $250 a year, I could completely educate my child at home with all of the support of a local homeschooling group. With all of the "teacher support" material that came with her material, it was a cinch.

I just had to plan out her day for her....and she was off! All of the questions were answered in the teaching guide materials. It was so easy, and SO much fun! We had about three field trips a week. Too fun. From making our own pizza's at Pizza Hut - to watching a local bank do business - to walking through the local jail - to watching our local post office work - to making chocolate at a chocolate factory - everything!

I desperately needed the support of a local homeschooling group for awhile. Then, that got to be too time consuming. As she got older, we just went off on our own and got 'er done! Gosh it was fun.

She will turn 21 this year, and she is the most balanced, well-adjusted person I know! (Just a wee bit prejudiced - nod-nod-wink-wink!)

She could choose whatever subject material she wanted within the range of subjects that she needed to study. By the time she was in 12th grade, she was studying Cellular Biology - FOR FUN!

She learned to read reading books about birds - that was her very favorite subject when she was little. We still have the house full of bird cages and the chicken coop full of hens, ducks, geese, and one rooster to prove it! Too fun! (We don't eat them - they are all named! Too funny.) Best eggs in the world, however. You would not believe how far and wide we had to look to find chicken feed that did not contain any antibiotics. This is getting too long-winded.

Just wanted you to know that anyone, absolutely anyone can homeschool. No one need to feel "qualified" in any way - other than the desire to provide the very best education. For example, if she didn't "get" or understand one lesson - then we did it again and again and again....until she "got" it. She was highly motivated to "get" it however, because if she wasn't finished with her work at the end of the year, we would go into summer - ugh! No child wants to do that. If my husband or I couldn't explain something (after reading the teacher support material), there was always someone in the homeschooling group that could help. So, it all worked out.

Just wanted to give you a little picture of it. Lots of fun and years and time with my daughter that I will never regret. I even knew a mother who wasn't able to be a stay-at-home mom, and she homeschooled in the evening.

Even on our busiest days, it never took more than 3 hours to get all of her lessons done. That's because there was no "filler." It was basically reading/English, writing, math, science, and history.

Gosh, I could just go on and on.

Thanks for the comment. I felt like I was really "sticking my neck out" when we first started homeschooling. I was actually terrified. But it was the best experience, and I would highly recommend it to anyone.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 14:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/209/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Nice to see some action on this board! I hope it goes well for you all. I really like her explanations of all the hormones, but I couldn't deal with no weight loss for up to 3 years. I'm too old and have too many chronic illnesses to wait for it. I would be over 60 before it kicked in. If I were 30 again I would probably stick with it. But...it's not 1978 (!) any more and my diabetes is getting out of hand. And amen on getting enough fat in the diet. I was so indoctrinated with fear of saturated fat that I wasn't eating much - without thinking about it. I increased it and started losing again.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 15:20
Registered Member

BF:

I agree with Teena 100% about the homeschooling! If anyone would have told me 6 years ago that I would be homeschooling, I would have LOL in their face! We kind of stumbled onto it much in the same way you did Teena. We had our oldest in pre-school for 2 years and then it came time for the big K. We were looking at private schools (because class size was *really* important to me) with a 2/10 teacher student ration and BIG $$$$! That was when my very mainstream hubby said, "You should homeschool him for a year or two." I said ok and haven't looked back since. I think one of the defining moments for me was reading John Taylor Gatto's book called "Dumbing Us Down". Such an eye opener and I could totally relate to all of it when thinking back to MY schooling. Anyone with kids should read this book!!

Anyway--my oldest is 9 now and my middle is 7 so they would be in 1st and 3rd grade. We do more of what is known as "unschooling" but I would love to hear about the different curriculums that you all use/used. We rarely ever sit at the kitchen table for hours a day and yet they still learn a ton (and both know how to read too--something my in-laws were very concerned about

Teena was right that you don't need any special degrees to homeschool---mostly because NO ONE is ever going to care more about your kids and their education than you are. And plus the other thing Teena talked about which is mastery of a subject. Having been the proverbial "C" student all my life (even with tons of tutoring and flash cards etc...) I know how very important it is to totally grasp a concept before moving on. I think that is why I was never good at math. I would work my butt off to get a "C" on a test (sometimes a D) and then the teacher would just move right on even though I clearly didn't understand the previous concepts. Mastery is soooo important!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 15:22
Registered Member

BF:

Santabarb--
How does the Ron Rosedale diet differ from Schwarzbein?
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 22:19
Organic Lifestyle

Plan: SBP (Organic & Balanced)
Stats: 165/135/130 Female 5'6''
BF:
Progress: 86%

Welcome everyone who is starting out TSP for the first time. I love it and have used it as my main source of information and guidlines for my healthy for 3 years now and have gone from a size 12 to size 6. I also finally reached my fitness goal. I didn't reach my weight, but that is because i started to gain great muscle definition instead. I love answering questions and giving support. So I hope I can be a help to anyone.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-16-06, 15:01
Registered Member

BF:

ArticCat -

Thank you SO much for your offer of support and question-answering.

I had such a hard time finding a message board for TSP.

I was trying to decide whether or not to keep with the low-fat, high-carb vegetarian diet that I found was not helping me to feel any better or have any more energy, or to give it up and try the SP plan (had been on Atkins with bad results - hair loss, insomnia, lethargy).

I kept going to her website, and, occasionally, I would email and ask why there was no message board for support and whether or not they would consider starting one.

I know that she and her staff have much more important things to do than answer my emails, but I just wanted to find a support group. In this day and age, I could not believe that she didn't have one on her website. I STILL find that hard to believe, even though I have the utmost respect for her.

I only wrote to her twice, but I never received a reply or even a referral to this board....ANY offer of assistance would have been helpful. Because there are NO SP doctors in my area - and in most areas of the country - the ONLY support we will find will be on a message board. The only reason I have even decided to give SP a try is because of some of the posts on this board. This is a very important matter, I would have to assume, for a lot of us. Being able to read about other people's experiences and to interact with them on a daily basis is just so vital when trying to change such a major issue as an eating/exercising disorder.

I can't even count the number of times I have referred others to the SP, only to have them come back with, "What, no message board?" One person commented, "She sells books and profits off of them and can't even provide a board for the support of her program." I'm not slamming Dr. S., but I have to admit that that confuses me, too.

I found this board from a Google search and had to wade through a lot to find it.

I even posted this website on Amazon (under book three) so that others would know that you are here.

I use to be on a vegetarian board - some of the meanest (and I do not say that lightly) people I have ever tried to talk with. If you did not agree with their "philosophy" of not eating meat, then you were the enemy - and they do not treat their "enemies" kindly.

On the vegetarian website, the doctor that wrote a series of well-known, low-fat/high-carb books would even come on to the website several times a week to answer questions.

Even though I no longer agree with his particular dietary "philosophy," I found his interaction with the group extremely encouragaing, to say the least. I know that he is an extremely busy doctor, yet he, somehow, found the time. I can't even tell you how that encouraged and fostered the morale of that particular group.

With all due respect to Dr. S, in this day and age, why would anyone NOT have a message board for support?

Well, at least I found you guys. You are all so great - must be those balanced hormones - haha! I came to the conclusion that the vegetarians are so darn mean because they are SO lacking in protein -- and, of course, fat, in any form, is poison! You do have to wonder.

I want to reiterate, I have the utmost respect for Dr. S. She evidently feels very deeply about the detrimental effects of exercising and dieting ourselves to death's door - her books attest to that. I know that her program is not a diet at all, but a plan of well-balanced eating. Just wish she would pay someone to get a message board up and running.

Awww, I just looked out the window, and we are having the most beautiful snow. I live in a Chicago suburb - out in the middle of nowhere. Wow! Pretty. Great, big, beautiful, lake-effect snow.

Have a good day, all!

Last edited by Teena G. : Thu, Mar-16-06 at 15:07.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-16-06, 15:30
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

Welcome to the board!! Things other than general LC brought me here too. I found SP here and 3 years later am still here!!

What suburb? I grew up in Joliet.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Mar-16-06, 16:46
Registered Member

BF:

m1whowaits -

We live in Plano. Do you know where that is? Out between Sandwich and Yorkville.

Things can get boring out here in farm country (not for me). The going joke around here is that they just built a new suburb between Plano and Sandwich. It's called Peanut Butter. So, we now have Plano-Peanut Butter-Sandwich! haha

I'm so daft, I believed it the first time I heard it. How crazy is THAT? Too funny!

Nice to meecha!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Mar-16-06, 21:23
Organic Lifestyle

Plan: SBP (Organic & Balanced)
Stats: 165/135/130 Female 5'6''
BF:
Progress: 86%

I can understand why you wouldn't endorse a board. You run the risk of letting someone that doesn't know enough about the program post advice that may not be correct. By endorsing the board, people may feel that you are guarenteeing the information on the board, but there is no way they could keep track of all of the posts. I did a quick look at the Atkins site and they don't have a board either.