Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-01, 08:44
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/--/127.8
BF:
Progress:
Default Allowed or not?

I'm following Atkins diet and i'm on the induction. Are these allowed: peanuts, swiss cheese, tomatoes and cucumbers??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-01, 09:56
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Jessy,

I know you're trying really hard to get onto a low carb diet, but asking basic questions about what you can and cannot eat is covered in books we've recommended and links we have given you. Wa'il posted a link to a database yesterday that has the carb counts of tons of foods.

Either take it seriously and do some REAL research on your own with the book recommendations, advice and links you've been given or don't bother. You are the person that has to live with your choices, so get some information so your choices are based on what you've learned.

If you decide to take it seriously, anyone here would be more than happy to give you support, advice and guidance.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-01, 15:03
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Exclamation hi Jessy

I agree with Karen. You really, really need to do your homework FIRST with this, before you even get started. Trying to "do the diet" before you know what you're doing, or have a plan made -- is like starting out on a long trip without a map or any money ..

When you get the chance to read through the links that were posted here for you the other day, maybe it would be a good idea to print them out, or else Save them for viewing offline. I was wondering if that's a problem for you?? You don't have unlimited access to the internet, so that's why you haven't had the time to do the necessary learning? ...

The websites can only tell you so much though, then you have to do the rest of the reading and research for yourself. We have more than a few members here who live in the far corners of the planet, who are struggling to follow a lowcarb program the correct way. It's not easy to do unless you
  1. are strongly committed
  2. are willing to learn and do new things and
  3. take the time to do the homework FIRST
Your dad and mom sound really supportive to go out and buy the foods for you. Maybe if they see that you have planned carefully, and made a strong commitment to really do this (and not cheat, and go to parties and blow it) then they might help you to get your own copy of one of the good program books. Then, you'll always have it to read, and make notes in! And go back to it again and again. Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution is the popular one, and so is Protein Power by Dr. Eades. You can order online from Amazon.com, which is in the USA. or there's Amazon.com.UK in London. Both sites have ALL of the popular lowcarb books.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

However, to get you started on the right foot ... here's what you need to do ... visit the Official Atkins website. This page here gives the basic directions for all stages of the program ... http://atkinscenter.com/diet101_story.asp?dietID=11 ... For right now, and the next two weeks, do NOT worry about what comes or goes later, ok? ... Print the page so that you will have it with you at all times to review.

Next, go to this webpage ...http://www.titanic.kn-bremen.de/induction.html ... It gives a good outline of how to do the Induction - AND it gives lists of foods. If a food is not on the list, DO NOT EAT IT. Print this page too.

The information you'll find on these sites will get you started; they are very basic though, and do not fully explain lowcarbing in detail. They explain the "how", but not the "why". You need to know "why" in order to be successful.

Make sure you weigh and measure your food. Have a good carb counter handy. The list shows some vegetables as "Free" foods, but they are not. For instance, tomatoes are 5 grams for one small raw, or 1/2 cup cooked or canned. You need to know this. Make a list of your favourite foods, then look up the carbs in them. Put the list someplace handy, like on the door of the refrigerator ...

Our very own dear Webmaster Wa'il created a terrific, and easy-to-use carb counter right here on this website .. ... Click here to see it and then Bookmark the page, or add to your Favorites, so it's always handy for you.

If you do this, I guarantee that you will lose weight successfully. Do you have a lot of weight to lose? I have been following Protein Power plan for 14 months, and I'm halfway to my goal. I used to weigh 210 lbs (95kg) ... my goal is 145 lbs (66 kg).

Keep us posted ..

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-01, 16:35
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/--/127.8
BF:
Progress:
Default I'll try my best.

Thanx for the links, i read all of them. I wanna lose 9kg.That's not very much..Thanx again.