Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-16, 04:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 368/309/260 Male 6"6 6 Feet 6 Inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Not Sure How This Weight Gain Is Possible

First I want to say that I have been following the atkins diet for over a year now, and have lost nearly 60lbs. The last month or so I have not been able to lose any weight at all, and I have checked the keto sticks to ensure that I was still in ketosis. I know we all have plateaus, but my actual questions below is what's boggling my mind.

So I have been sick lately, and when I got up Tuesday morning I weighed myself. After throwing up once, going to work, which meant sweating outside all day, and drinking only water. I went home. When I got home, I fell asleep all day, slept for nearly 12 hours, then when I got up I used the bathroom, went both number 1 and number 2, and then when I stepped on the scale out of curiosity, I was 2 pounds heavier than Tuesday morning... All I had eaten the whole day was 2 sasquach sticks from 7-11, 2 carbs each, I got during lunch, which are basically just slim jims. I used a keto stick to see if anything had knocked me out of ketosis, and I was still fine. This just makes no sense to me, and I have no idea how I managed to go up 2 pounds. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-16, 05:11

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

First, a 2 pound weight gain is meaningless as it likely has a lot to do with normal fluid changes. I wouldn't sweat the scale on a regular basis.

Second, and far more important, get rid of the sasquatch sticks permanently. It's processed crap containing several different types of sugar. I understand that you're looking for a quick protein snack, but these don't qualify. Here's the link to the product: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon...cWL._SY450_.jpg
The ingredients read like a processed food science project. This is the epitome of hollow calories. General rule is anything containing more than three or four ingredients should be questioned and examined before eating it.

There are many threads identifying healthy snacks on this forum. Check them out and good luck with your journey.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-16, 05:12

Plan: Atkins/Bernstein
Stats: 282/213/160 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 57%

Water weight. 3500 calories in a pound so unless you are eating 7000 calories over your bmi no way. Relax. Rehydrate and carry on
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-16, 07:54

Stats: 368/309/260 Male 6"6 6 Feet 6 Inches
BF:
Progress:

Really? What ingredients in it are types of sugar? Just want to know what to look out for in the future. Will they really slow the process down? I've lost around 60lbs, and have stayed in ketosis, do foods like these really slow everything down significantly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
First, a 2 pound weight gain is meaningless as it likely has a lot to do with normal fluid changes. I wouldn't sweat the scale on a regular basis.

Second, and far more important, get rid of the sasquatch sticks permanently. It's processed crap containing several different types of sugar. I understand that you're looking for a quick protein snack, but these don't qualify. Here's the link to the product: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon...cWL._SY450_.jpg
The ingredients read like a processed food science project. This is the epitome of hollow calories. General rule is anything containing more than three or four ingredients should be questioned and examined before eating it.

There are many threads identifying healthy snacks on this forum. Check them out and good luck with your journey.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-16, 08:11

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEBERZ
Really? What ingredients in it are types of sugar? Just want to know what to look out for in the future. Will they really slow the process down? I've lost around 60lbs, and have stayed in ketosis, do foods like these really slow everything down significantly?

Corn Syrup, Dextrose, Fructose, Molasses Powder (Refinery Syrup), Cane Molasses to name the worst offenders. Also, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein (Corn, Soy, Wheat) is garbage. Yeah, they say less than 2%, but that means each individual ingredient. When you combine them, it's likely the whole stick! I wouldn't touch this stuff. My opinion.

There are dried jerky and dried meat products available that are somewhat healthy. There was a thread on this forum addressing it. Maybe someone who consumes it will chime in. Also, there's a thread that addresses the "names" representing sugars in ingredient lists. Manufacturers like to be vague for good reason. Use the "advanced search" here to help find this information. The simple search function on this board is useless. Good luck!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-16, 09:00

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
6. Don’t Trust the Bathroom Scale With Your Mental Health

We humans are about 2/3 water. Each of us contains about 40 liters (or quarts) of the stuff, and each liter weighs a bit over 2 pounds. Our bodies effectively regulate fluid balance by adjusting urine output and sense of thirst, but this is done within a 2-liter range. Within this range, your body doesn’t really care if it is up to a liter above or below its ideal fluid level.

What this means is that we all live inside a 4-pound-wide grey zone, so that from day to day we fluctuate up or down (i.e., plus or minus) 2 pounds. This happens more or less at random, so with any one weight reading you don’t know where your body is within that fluid range. Your weight can be the same for 3 days in a row, and the next morning you wake up and the scale says you’ve ‘gained’ 3 pounds for no apparent reason. For people who weigh themselves frequently, this can be maddening.

There are two solutions to this problem. One, just don’t weigh yourself. Or two, defeat this variability by calculating average weights. You can weigh yourself every day, and then on one day per week, calculate your average for that week (i.e., the average or mean of 7 values). If you are really into math, you can weigh yourself every day and then each day calculate a new mean over the last 7 days. Each day you do this, you drop the oldest value and add the newest one to the calculation. And of course, there’s an iPhone ‘App’ that will do this for you.

Phinney, Stephen; Volek, Jeff (2011-07-08). The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living: An Expert Guide to Making the Life-Saving Benefits of Carbohydrate Restriction Sustainable and Enjoyable (pp. 241-242). Beyond Obesity LLC. Kindle Edition.

On ketosis and the "sticks":
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...t=463436&page=1

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Jul-07-16 at 04:56.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-16, 10:27

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Not Sure How This Weight Gain Is Possible

You've already received some good info, but I also wonder if gut bacteria play a role. The few times I've had food poisoning and didn't eat anything for 3 or even 4 days, I've lost zero pounds. Obviously the gut is in turmoil in that case, but I've also had bouts of depression in my life where I ate very little and quite infrequently, aka Intermittent Fasting, and lost no weight. Metabolism slowed to nearly nothing, I assumed.

OTOH, I've lost weight like crazy when I was "in love". 9 lbs in one week of normal eating one time. I just happened to have two doctor appt's so it was official. The Body moves in mysterious ways.

Quote:
Don’t Trust the Bathroom Scale With Your Mental Health...

Thanks for that! I know better yet I still fall victim sometimes.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-16, 11:45
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Whenever I get sick I can always count on gaining some temporary water weight.

Don't be jumping on the scales every minute. It'll just make you crazy.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-16, 11:50

Stats: 156/146.8/139 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

I'm with Nancy! When I had a UTI I "gained" 4#s!?!?!?

Relax - it's your body going WTH happened?
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-16, 14:54
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/dietdoctor
Stats: 182/175/159 Female 67
BF:no idea!
Progress: 30%

i dont know how to delete a post
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-16, 14:56
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/dietdoctor
Stats: 182/175/159 Female 67
BF:no idea!
Progress: 30%

oh you poor love

hey, do not ever get upset over the scales again. yesterday morning was the last morning i burst into tears and let it ruin my day to a serious degree.

be kind to yourself. i have had it with the scales. end of our affair. once in a while to see where i am. maybe once every two weeks. it makes no difference to what i am doing. i never cheat.it is irrelevant. i lost 10 pounds and 3 inches round my waist in a month.

once after weighing, i was fraught, really fraught and i couldn't think why. then i went into the bathroom and i realized i hadn't pooped for 5 days.

i thought. what a WASTE of pain.good luck with that. its often a silent addiction xx
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jul-08-16, 00:15

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Whenever I get sick I can always count on gaining some temporary water weight.

This has been my experience as well. It's like my body is trying to fight the illness but it doesn't know how to at first, so it just says "I'ma hold on to EVERYTHING until I figure out how to beat this".

Once you're feeling better, the scales will hopefully resume their intended course for you too.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jul-08-16, 08:33

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

since others already addressed hydration and being sick, i just wanted to throw in 2 more factors:
1. you mentioned working outside in heat all day. sweating a lot, makes body cling onto the fluids you consume to rehydrate, so you can see scale bounce/bloating post outside workout. my fingers and belly swell like crazy when i exercise outdoors for long periods in summer.

2. sore muscles retain water. so after a tough workout/ physical labor, you will see scale bounce.

the best way to flush bloat- drink up!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jul-08-16, 09:17

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Robin's saying what I was going to say: both being sick and doing heavy labor can cause temporary water gain. And the second will be worse if you are sick, because it's that much harder for your muscles to work properly when you should be in bed, recuperating from the vomiting.

Severely dehydrated people are going to lose weight, of course. We use water for minute by minute metabolic processes. But because it's so danged important, at the first sign of dehydration (vomiting followed by sweating) our cells and interstitial spaces start storing water against the possibility that no more water will be available in the near future.

Our bodies go into crisis mode pretty easily.