Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-02, 20:48
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins hybrid
Stats: 210/183/163
BF:
Progress: 57%

Delirious! Cool! Stay that way!

pepper
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-02, 11:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 226/198/140
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default has anyone with PCOS considered....

natural progesterone to level out excess estrogen? I have only used the natural progesterone since December 2001 and a LC diet and my periods come like clockwork and i have lost 26 lbs since January 7 2002. I used to use sprionolactone, Glucophage, and BCP's( for at least 5 years, possibly more, i can't remember) and gained 36 lbs, plucked chin hairs everyday,lost half the hair on the top of my head and would get severe sunburns from 5 minutes in the sun. I read all about natural progesterone from a great book by Dr. John R. Lee( what your doctor may NOT tell you about menopause) & ( what your doctor may NOT tell you about Pre-menopause). I took myself off of all my meds 6 Months ago( shouldn't really do this, but I did) and supplemented with the natural progesterone since then. A few months ago i also started supplementing with Saw Palmetto caps and along with regular periods from the progesterone, i am seeing a gradual regrowth of my head hair and less, lighter, softer hairs on my chin. I only pluck maybe 1-2 times a week and these are mostly hairs that are invisible but have a courser texture than normal. I have not had any acne since December 2001 and my weight is definitely coming off. I can't say enough good things about the three pronged approach i've embarked on. This is just to encourage anyone who needs a direction to go that this may be an alternative approach.

Best wishes fellow cysters

Deb
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-02, 20:56
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins hybrid
Stats: 210/183/163
BF:
Progress: 57%

Deb, this approach is new to me, I've never heard anything about this. Is there something I can read or a site I can go to to read more about it? Who suggested it to you and how did they determine how much progesterone for you to take? Thanks for your time!

pepper
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Apr-12-02, 11:44

BF:

Pepper: here's the site name for Dr. Lee and his books. http://www.johnleemd.com I highly recommend you read both of them and really try to understand the science behind them. The one for Menopausal women gives the best understanding of why women need to have enough progesterone, why a natural cream is superior to synthetic drugs and almost any other thing you want to know about this subject. The book for pre-menopausal women is great for wome from 30-50 and focuses on menstrual problems etc and how progesterone cream can help in most cases.

http://www.life-enhancement.com/displayart.asp?ID=16 - look for saw palmetto for women and it explains how it could be useful in helping hair loss and excess growth on the face.

The LC plan speaks for itself.

Hope this can help you start your own reseach into these alternatives!

Last edited by Deb : Fri, Apr-12-02 at 12:31.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Apr-13-02, 04:26
Registered Member

Plan: adkins
Stats: 125/110/110
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Progesterone

Deb, my daughter has PCOS and I would love to help her. So far she has had one short period and lost 10 pounds since starting LCing. We have been on this WOE since Febrary, 2002. The progesterone cream sounds interesting. Could you please tell me how it has helped your symptoms. I went to the web page, but would love to hear more from someone who has tried this. My daughter had not had a period in a year before changing her diet....all our doctors did was put her on BC pills which made her gain weight. We stopped the pills a year ago and no period until the small one that she had after starting the LC diet.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Apr-13-02, 10:40
Registered Member

Stats: 250/225/130 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 21%

Deb: I ran right out and purchased some saw palmetto. How much do you take. There were 4 different kinds to choose from. I chose the concentrated 1000 miligrams. The bottle says take 1 to 3 tablets per day. How much do you take? Thanks. Jeanie
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Apr-13-02, 11:34

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Progesterone

It's interesting what you say about progesterone. I finally found a gynocologist who wants to work with me on my PCOS.

My internist who recommended that I see a gynocologist had prescribed hormone tests and an ultrasound and said that I did not have PCOS but, because of my cysts, I probably needed a hysterectomy. Go figure. She put me on standard birth control pills to stop the 1 1/2-year period (bleeding) I had finally gone to see her about (I have a high reluctance to see doctors).

The birth control pills made the pain and bleeding worse!

When I got in to see the gynocologist, she looked at my hormone levels and noted that I had high estrogen and low progesterone. She also said the I do have PCOS. The internist was wrong. The pill I was prescribed was high in estrogen and low in progesterone. Evidently that is the normal type of pill prescribed for birth control.

My gynocologist put me on a pill that is just the opposite (high progesterone and low estrogen) and my symptoms cleared up within 3 days. I have been realtively pain free (except for the 4 days of period I had on the pill) since then.

All this to say that for me, my experience adds weight to what you said about supplementing natural progesterone.

I know that LCing is also helping, but with the pill I am taking, I do not know which to give more credit to.

;-Deb
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Apr-16-02, 06:29

BF:
Default PCOS

Spring: Taking the NATURAL progesterone as opposed to the synthetic forms found in most BC pills has i think normalized my cycles. It has lessened symptoms of PMS because PMS is a sign of excess estrogen. I believe it has also balanced the free testosterone made by my body out of the excess estrogen and has therefore virtually eliminated the severe cystic acne and to some extent the dark facial hair that i've have to deal with for 18 years. These are the most noticable things progesterone has helped for me. It may have a different effect on your daughter. I wish her the best

Jeannie: I take 320 mg of the saw palmetto extract in capsules/day. I believe the liquid extract would be more effective than a dry tablet. Check your bottle and see how much equivalent extract is in each of your tabs. Mine have the equivalent of 80 mg in each of my capsules so i take 4/day. I believe the link mentioned that the study conducted used this amount. Hope that helps.

Debpenny: I just had to mention to you that i absolutely endorse the NATURAL progesterone cream that i use but from the above mentioned reading in Dr. Lee's books i have concluded that synthetic hormones(by the way, synthetic progesterone is called PROGESTIN and is NOT the same as real bio-identical progesterone found in the human body)are a large part of women's many mentrual problems. I believe we have to be proactive and do our own research because many times doctors will give us the quickest and not necessisarily the best treatment options. Don't forget too that doctor's get compensated to prescribe products from drug company's and because natural progesterone cannot be patented, drug companies have no interest in dispensing this product. Please, explore the NATURAL options you have and make your own informed decision. Don't believe everything you hear. Please take the time to read Dr. Lee's books and you will hear the ring of truth to what he says. I wish you the best in your struggle for health.

Deb
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Jan-02-08, 09:51

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 201/198/155 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:

Have just read this information about lasering and I would be curious to know if it has still worked for you all these years later?