Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-09-05, 21:58

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 255/230/140 Female 5'6
BF:63%
Progress: 22%
Default Looking at doing SP....do you have to eat "organic" foods?

I was reading the SP Program book this evening at the bookstore, and it looks like a great plan! However, I am concerned about the amount of organic food she recommends....pretty much all of it. To be honest, much of that is out of my budget right now.

Do you all buy strictly organic? If not, are there any foods that you would say are must haves from an organic viewpoint? How does this program handle things such as restaurant eating and combination foods?

Robin
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-10-05, 10:59

Plan: Fat Flush Plan
Stats: 233/146/150 Female 5ft 8inches
BF:22%
Progress: 105%

Hi Robin,
While I don't follow SP, Fat Flush Plan similarly recommends organic food. The way I look at it is this: my body is my vehicle to along healthy life (a maserati, say). If I want to keep it ticking over and disease-free for the next 100 years (I'm going to live to 150 -watch me! ), I want to give it the highest quality fuel possible. (you wouldn't put discount gas in a maserati, would you? )

That means organic food because I don't want to be eating hormones, steriods, antibiotics, GMO with my food. Also means I don't want to get any of the not-so-lovely "modern" diseases (fibromyalgia, PCOS, IBS, chronic fatigue, inflammatory syndromes and the like).

If it means one less movie ticket or one less DVD. So be it. Figure I've got 100 years or so for the movie to come around on TV anyhoo.

PS. On eating out - high end restaurants are often touting organic foods these days. Those that don't I give a "pass" to - most restaurant food doesn't taste as good in any event (usually over-salted and over sweetened and smothered in sauces. BLECH!)
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-10-05, 16:40

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 322/240/140 Female 5'6''
BF:I have no idea
Progress: 45%

Hi,

No, I can't afford organic foods. I wish that I could. At the same time, I do try to get vegies from friends, venison, etc. I do the best that I can. I freeze what I get if there are any extras and follow things closely.

I find that I really like not using stuff like ranch dressing anymore and I like the variety of foods that I am allowed to eat.

I have ended up making my corn tortillas as I can't find any without preservatives and it's pretty quick anyway. Plus they taste better fresh.

Lots of people have done it both ways.

Enjoy. Marty
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-06-05, 17:31

Plan: not sure - SBD
Stats: 148/146/120 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

I live near a Whole Foods Market, but I don't always buy organic. However, I feel that even if I get conventional veggies at Whole Foods, I'm probably still doing better than at a more commerical supermarket.

The meat that I buy, however, is antibiotic free, hormone free, etc. I just can't seem to compromise at all on that one. With all the scares etc, I feel as if I am getting better quality because the farms are organic and free range. Healthier animals, healthier food. So, the lower priced veggies, but the higher priced meats.

The nickname for Whole Foods Market, is whole paycheck, because that is what you leave there when you pay - your whole paycheck.

Another alternative is to find an organic farm which does shares. We pay $200 for a 1/2 share at a farm. They don't even use tractors! They use horse power. It's amazing to see this horse teams plowing the fields. Our farm gives us a tote bag and we can fill it, for the most part, with what we want. There are some restrictions based upon the crop. But, green beans for example, we go into the field and pick them. Same for cherry tomatoes. There are lots of greens all growing season. Check out sites for Communities Sustaining Agriculture. There are a number of these in my area (a rural part of Western Massachusetts).

Also, during the season, check out farmers markets. Cheaper prices than supermarkets and lots of fun.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-07-05, 11:25

Plan: combination
Stats: 140/123/120 Female 5'7"
BF:24.2%
Progress: 85%

Quote:
my body is my vehicle to along healthy life (a maserati, say). If I want to keep it ticking over and disease-free for the next 100 years (I'm going to live to 150 -watch me! ), I want to give it the highest quality fuel possible. (you wouldn't put discount gas in a maserati, would you? )

Exactly! It's not like you can go down to Body Parts R Us when you blow out your liver.

I only get one body in this lifetime and I expect it to last me for a long long time. You better believe I feed it the best food I know how and treat it with respect. I figure I can either pay the grocer or pay the doctor. The grocer's cheaper!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-21-05, 18:02
Organic Lifestyle

Plan: SBP (Organic & Balanced)
Stats: 165/135/130 Female 5'6''
BF:
Progress: 86%

I had the same money issue when I started shopping at a whole foods. When I would see the total at the checkout I would cringe. However, I noticed very quickly that the same recipes I used to cook with convential item were even more delicious than before. To tell you the truth, I have become a little bit of a food snob because all that wondeful organic food spoiled me. After a year I actually notice a difference in taste, quality and even color between organic and conventional. I still run by the local grocery if I don't have time to get to a Whole Foods, but I know that buying that high quality food and getting that better taste helped me appreciate a better healthier diet.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-24-06, 20:35
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo/my own
Stats: 215/220/140 Female 5'8''
BF:
Progress: -7%

The selection of organic foods available at most regular supermarkets is getting better, all we have (other than the regular chains) is one small market and 2 health food stores all very pricey (seems it costs 3 times as much to ship to Montana) I went in and looked at mean $10 to $12 for 1 chicken I realize that I would get at least 4 meals out of it but by the time I added other veggies that were running $3-5 per pound, it is like OUCHIE!! yes yes I know what you are all saying but this is not 1 movie ticket or dvd, this is a much tougher challenge and I really think I will have to have a mix of organic and not...
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-28-06, 17:15

Plan: Lights Out
Stats: 255/225/190 Male 72"
BF:all
Progress: 46%
Default Schwarzbein's personal diet

I know Dr. Schwarzbein personally, she and my wife collaborated on a book a decade ago. Her eating habits included, mainly, turkey dogs dipped in generic grocery store mayonnaise.

Maybe she's changed. I don't know.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-30-06, 12:55
Organic Lifestyle

Plan: SBP (Organic & Balanced)
Stats: 165/135/130 Female 5'6''
BF:
Progress: 86%

eww. I hope there is more variety than that. But then again, I have a friend that eats chicken twice a day, just to get enough protein. I could never eat that much chicken, but it doesn't bother him.