Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-16-04, 15:24
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%
Unhappy 46 yr old, quit smoking, regained 26# & need a friend - can you relate?

Hello out there!
I'm hoping that I can get my size 12 body back that I had just a few months ago -- but it's nowhere to be found!!!

I quit smoking last september (yea me!) and have steadily gained back all 26# that I had lost in the year and a half before that. I actually even used to be a moderator on this board!!

I don't know exactly what's going on with me, but I sure do seem to LOVE sugar lately!! I just seem to have this "Oh, who gives a *%&#!" attitude one minute then the next I'm so depressed because of the way I look and feel!!

I WANT THESE POUNDS GONE DAMMIT!!!

I can't relate to 20 or 30-somethings who are fretting over their size 10's. So I feel like I belong here more than anywhere else. I know you guys don't mind. Half of me has this attitude like, "Oh well, I'm old now anyway...I deserve to relax about how I look and just enjoy life." But I'm really not enjoying life at this size. My goal is a reasonable and healthy weight. That's all I want. And it's just a lousy 25# or so! Jeez! There's a ton of people here that can do that standing on their head!!

I gotta start over at square one. Anyone feel like taking on a sad case like me?? LOL Oh, I know WHAT I need to do, I just can't seem to actually DO it.

Thanks for listening!

XOXO,
Teri
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-16-04, 15:38
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

Teri
First off that is so wonderful , the quiting smoking. I know right now how frustrating it can be with the weight gain.. I never ever eat sugar or eat potatos,rice or anything of that nature. BUT when I quit smoking 26 days ago my scale climbed up 7 pounds It broke my heart cause my eating habbit6s had not changed and I was gaining for the first time since October of 2003.

Im still strugling but determined to stay quit for me and my 4 wonderful children.
Im here if ya need to vent In trade some advice on how to cope with cravings,hehehe.. I wish you all the luck in your weightloss journey. Think of it this way, If you can quit smoking you can DEFF do this.

Angel

WOOPS, just noticed Im prolly too young.. But my heart felt thoughts still apply
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-17-04, 09:36
Starting Over!

Hi Angel,
Thanks for responding to my plea!!
Hey, you're almost at 30 days!! Congratulations! I quit using Wellbutrin and the patch which worked great for me. I certainly hope you've discovered www.quitnet.com -- that probably made THE difference for me. There's just a wealth of inspiration to be found there!! You can find my profile there under the name "Terridoodle" (note 2 R's).

As for your weight gain -- I wouldnt worry about it too terribly much right now. You won't gain at this rate forever, but you will apparently gain. I found that it's true that your metabolism slows down about 10%.... so it's time to count calories or get out there and exercise... or both. I hate doing that, but I gotta.

I have to say that without a doubt I know I'm doing the right thing and I absolutely would prefer to weigh 225# rather than go back to smoking. It's just too important. You'll feel the same way too if you don't already.

Please keep in touch and maybe we can help each other out.

XOXO,
Teri
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-17-04, 13:02
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

Thank you Teri
Yes I do notice I have to cut WAY back on calories and do much more exercise. I feel so tired all the time and at night I go to bed hungry. I don't think Im really hungry, just that smoking was a big part of latenight. I don't want one bad habbit after another. Please stop by my journal anytime. It would be nice to have someone understand what I am going threw as well as yourself.

PS.. beautiful avatar

Angel
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-17-04, 15:19
Registered Member

Plan: protenpower,atkins
Stats: 295/273/195 Female 5ft9in
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up I Just Quit Too!

It's been 3mt's for me Ive gained 10 #s . started to work out again[I'm 55year's young] so my battle is harder!!!! found out about ooo [ help's with stalls] I gained 10 #'s this trip so far so I"M feeling you!!!! hang in there, give your body a chance to heal, and be for you know it , WE'LL BE GOOD AS NEW!!!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-18-04, 04:38
Starting Over!

Well, congrats!! 3 months is awesome!!! Hey, what's "ooo" ????
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-18-04, 17:37
Registered Member

Plan: protenpower,atkins
Stats: 295/273/195 Female 5ft9in
BF:
Progress:
Cool "for some it's new wonder herb!!!"

ooo is "oil of oregano" I found out about it in the suppment sec. of the forum! it's a million page long thread! I been takeing for 3 day's & i lost 3#'s the frist time the scale has moved in 3 mt's [besides going up!] so you know how happy I am. go over and check it out! some people are doing really well takeing it! it's worth a try
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-23-04, 18:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/147/145 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 95%

OOO sounds interesting....but I'm not sure which thread you're talking about, Detroitlad....I did a search and came up with 36 threads with Oil of Oregano in the title. Can you narrow it down a little? Anything that might break stalls is worth looking at.

Hey, Teri....I see you're down 2 pounds! Fantastic! btw, how do you manage to limit yourself to 5 macadamia nuts? One macadamia and I'm eating the whole bag.

judy

smoke free stats...47 days, $496.38, 1418 cigs, life saved 4 days, 22 hrs, 10 minutes
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-24-05, 18:47

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 165/165/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Teri,
Reading your e-mail prompted me to go to the trouble to register with this forum site. In Jan. 2003 I began low-carb diet. By July '03 I had lost 25 pounds. Then, using the patch I quit smoking. Managed to maintain pretty well until I went off the patch in Nov. 03. Now it is Jan. 05 and I have gained back the entire 25 pounds. Yes, it is 1 1/2 years of no smoking - but, like you, I want to get back in the clotes I was wearing 25 pounds ago! It seems to me that low-carb diet fails after about a year. Where am I wrong?
Edi
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-24-05, 19:56

Stats: 182/147/145 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Hi Edi,

I can't offer any solutions to your problem, but I can relate. I quit smoking last May and I've gained 10 lbs since then. It's really frustrating, because I'm not eating any differently than when I was smoking. I've heard that your metabolizm slows down after quitting smoking, but it eventually picks up again. So how long does it take? I'm waiting....waiting....waaaiiitting!! If I start exercising, will that help? GRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know, you're not alone, Edi.

(And I'd sure like to hear from any long time (smoke) quitters who've kept the weight off.)

judy
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-05, 07:59

Stats: 162.5/162.5/140 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I'm in a similar boat too it seems. I stopped smoking 11 months ago (only one month to a year smoke free!!!).

I'd lost 40 pounds prior to that and since then have steadily gained back about 20 of those pounds.

I am starting induction again today, but not looking forward to the headaches and cravings, it almost makes me want to start off on OWL.

My other thought is that once we've lost weight, we really need to look at calorie intake and exercise levels, so how does that affect the Atkins food that we eat. perhaps its why we don't see the same results as first time around?

But here's hoping I can stick with it and move on!