Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Sun, May-17-15, 13:37

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

"Make sure you eat regularly: Have breakfast, lunch, and dinner. If you want a snack in between, that’s fine, but make sure you eat at regular rhythms and regular times. Your body is a hormonal clock, and you have to eat in rhythm to keep it in balance." and this.... "Eggs are a great source of protein that helps balance your blood sugar. Be sure to eat WHOLE eggs, not egg whites."

Balance your blood sugar....do you know how many times I have been struck down on that point?? Edited to add: (all of the points above about eating on a regular basis as in regular meals).

Eat breakfast!! I am so glad to hear you say that.
I totally agree...

Last edited by Meme#1 : Sun, May-17-15 at 13:45.
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Sun, May-17-15, 16:43
Registered Member

Plan: my own low carb
Stats: 100/100/100 Male 50.0 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Meme.. not only did I NOT say that ( the article did) I donot agree with THAT. I do not eat breakfast. What Dr Atkins said is IF you are hungry, then eat. If you are not, then don't. I find that when I eat a breakfast ( morning anything) it willkick in my hunger devil. I am not hungry and do not eat until about 11am-1PM most every day. This article is helpful in many ways and that was not one IN MY OPIONION. Just not going to toss the baby out with the bathwater in this article Happy you liked it though. I am just TOO much an ATKINS' DANDR nut to change.
  #123   ^
Old Sun, May-17-15, 16:50

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Oh you didn't agree with it! LOLOL
My Bad...
  #124   ^
Old Mon, May-18-15, 07:05
Registered Member

Plan: LC/Atkins/Paleo blend
Stats: 218/207/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 19%

Funny thing about breakfast is that we always eat it, just at different times. But breakfast is defined as the first meal of the day. Doesn't say when it has to be or how soon after you wake up. Unless you are fasting, you will always have it. So eating breakfast is pretty much a given. I tend to make it a larger meal than my others then very small meals or snacks after that but I don't eat it until I've been up for hours and often I've gotten in some weight training and/or a good hour of cardio (hill hiking) as before then I rarely have any kind of an appetite.

I think it depends on the person. We can't help it if we aren't hungry when we wake up or in the hour or so after and it seems to fly against all good reason and common sense to eat when you are not hungry just because some people think that is best.

I've already been up two hours and all I've had is water. I have zero appetite and don't see one forthcoming soon, probably not until I go for a walk at least. If I ate now I would feel sick and bloated. YUCK.
  #125   ^
Old Mon, May-18-15, 14:51
Registered Member

BF:

AH... BREAKFAST was names to BREAK the FAST. I have BRUNCH. since we do hydrate, that pretty much ends the fast, and on this plan we have no periods of fasting since we are burning fats for fuel. When taking in the carbs, we NEED to ingest ot we do not have fuel. I, like you,
xStarlitex , am not a morning hungry person. Whenever any article refers to breakfast, it is assumed it is when you wake up in and hour or so, so that is why I wil never agree with these ideas of needing 3 meals a day. I will agree that we each are different, and this article is not for only LC people so to curb the binging, this may be the best thing to do. I love Atkins becasue I do not HAVE to do anything but follow his plan
  #126   ^
Old Fri, Jun-26-15, 07:29

Plan: Atkins> LCHF >Carnivore
Stats: 200/183.5/150 Female 5'8" inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

Thanks for this article. It was encouraging. My scale has not moved in a week, up or down, and I was getting frustrated. Did I mention I am impatient?
  #127   ^
Old Fri, Jun-26-15, 13:32
Registered Member

BF:

hi ANNE. you are welcome. That scale not moving in one week though is a long time. Maybe take a good look at your menu and plan? Do some tweaking? IMHO
  #128   ^
Old Sat, Jun-27-15, 06:20

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket56
hi ANNE. you are welcome. That scale not moving in one week though is a long time. Maybe take a good look at your menu and plan? Do some tweaking? IMHO

The scale moved this morning, down! I know it was a bit goofy because I had a longer than normal cycle and that's at least part of the reason it didn't move. I'm holding strong, don't worry!

I also cut out the heavy whipping cream I was consuming. I don't drink coffee or tea, but I would add a little to my scrambled eggs, and have a few tablespoons in the afternoon with some cocoa powder as a snack. If my weight loss picks up again, I may add it back.
  #129   ^
Old Sat, Jun-27-15, 09:25
Registered Member

BF:

ANNE.. congrats on sales moving and numbers changing.. KEEP that heavy cream and tos the coca! SORRY but that is just wrong. FATS ate what you want. To be precise, twice the % of fat to protein in your daily diet.Too much protein is not good for LC plans and will kick you out of ketosis. IF you are following Dr Atkins' NEW DIET REVOLUTION eiher version 1972 or 1992, you are welcome to come and try out the A-TEAM. WE all do lose well and correctly FOREVER. You can find us if you go to the challengs menu drop down list.
  #130   ^
Old Sat, Jun-27-15, 18:17

BF:

Thanks, I've transitioned into more Low carb, high fat. I use www.cronometer.com. To make sure my ratios are good. My fats are usually about 70% + every day.

I can't get rid of my Cocoa powder! It has fat in it as well and I'm being quite strict with other things (no fruit at all so far) and so long as I'm seeing progress, it's a nice treat for me.

I will check out the challenge page. I'm on a mission to get healthy, change my eating patterns for life and look great. (And maybe get pregnant if that is in His plans. )
  #131   ^
Old Sun, Jun-28-15, 09:10
Registered Member

BF:

we us KETOCALCULATOR
your are welcome to check us out. To join you would have to change your plan to a the structured DANDR
Good luck on your journey
  #132   ^
Old Wed, Mar-09-16, 16:06

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

A good talk on the same topic. Summary of it says it all.

http://primalpotential.com/episode-...with-the-scale/

Quote:
What is one of the most common frustrations people experience when they’re trying to lose weight? Getting on the scale and feeling like your progress is not reflected in that number looking back at you. We place way too much emphasis on the number on the scale. In today’s episode we talk about how much daily weight fluctutation is normal, what contributes to it and some strategies for more effective ways to monitor your progress. I also share some of my most valuable non-scale victories.

The Challenge: Letting the number on the scale influence your emotions. Feeling incredibly proud of your progress and SEEING change in your body but throwing it all away when the number on the scale isn’t what you think it should be.

The Solution: The scale should not be your primary indicator of progress. Your body weight can fluctuate as much as 5-7 lbs each day depending on:

Glycogen Storage
Bowel movements
Water retention
Hormonal fluctuations
Beyond that, the scale is not an accurate reflection of what type of weight you’re losing. We want to burn fat. We might gain muscle along the way. That is a GOOD thing. That will make our body look BETTER. So we need to find ways to monitor and measure our progress that indicate our TRUE progress – fat loss.

Practical Implementation:

Take pictures of yourself
Find a pair of tight pants or a fitted dress and put it on AT LEAST every other week. Every week is fine, too.
Take measurements of your waist, hips, bust & thighs at a minimum.
Assess your strength and endurance in a standardized way
Mile walk or run for time
Situps in a minute
Pushups in a minute
Max on core lifts like squat, bench press, shoulder press, deadlift
Celebrate non scale victories
Improvements in sleep
Stress management
Cravings and hunger
Energy levels
Mood
Stamina while playing with your kids
Sex drive
Flying on an airplane without a seat belt extender
Fitting into a smaller pair of pants
Improvements in your health
  #133   ^
Old Wed, Mar-09-16, 20:55

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

I have learned not to let the scale bother me, even though I weight a LOT more often than people say is smart to do. Even so, this article is great for putting into logic and fact, the reasons things go the way they do.
I get very discouraged with clothing sizes. I have to lose soooo much before it affects my size number. I have a very stretched out stomach due to two pregnancies of 40# gains. The second time around was twins, so unavoidable. It just takes a LOT to empty out that belly. It can change in so many ways before it actually shrinks. So, yeah, this explanation does me a world of good.
  #134   ^
Old Wed, Mar-09-16, 22:34
Registered Member

BF:

ANN.. been there too.Lose the pounds and get a tummy tuck!
I have weighed dailu for decades and would never skip a day unless I had no scale on the road! I know my trends and track them. No surprises. It is when I do not want to weigh in that I SHOULD. Good luck and beleive in yourself. You can do it.
  #135   ^
Old Thu, Mar-10-16, 09:39

Plan: LCHF and OMAD
Stats: 298.4/187.6/145 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 72%

Hi Cricket,

I just wanted to thank you for all the information on the evilness of my scale!

I have always had these weight fluctuations and they have made me mad, angry, depressed and discouraged. Now that I understand the fluctuations, I am able to deal with them better. And considering I have SOOOOO much to lose, I needed this little information boost.

Don't get me wrong, I still get a little frustrated, but NEVER discouraged enough to give up. It also does not rule my mood for the day, I just let out a great big sigh after getting off the scale, letting all the bad feelings out and get on with my day.

So once again, thanks for your wisdom!