Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-07, 12:32
lcgrrl2006

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Good luck divaveda. Go to meetings and get a sponsor asap. Is a treatment program an option for you? Denise
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-07, 12:49

Plan: ATKINS / CUSTOMIZED
Stats: 275/269/150 Female 5feet 2inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

I will talk to my doctor and see what we can both conclude, otherwise im using willpower and prayer right now.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-07, 18:37

Plan: Anabolic Diet
Stats: 118/127/127 Female 5"8
BF:
Progress: 100%

I busted 2 days ago. I had 4 glasses of red -and went on a carb binge. Back on track today. I must say, I do feel so much better now that my muscle glycogen stores are no longer empty! For 4 days previously, I had been struggling thru my training, feeling like a zombie, pumping myself up on caffeine so much that I couldn't sleep when I wanted to. I am not starving myself, far from it, I average 2000 cals/day.
I am determined to stay off the booze. I have talked to my partner again about not having grog in the house. He has no drinking problem and enjoys a glass or 2 with dinner and 1 before bed. After the scare I gave him last weekend (thanks to my drinking) I felt I was not in a position to make demands. I declined an invite to a Melbourne Cup luncheon, because I am definitely not ready for a social situation that involves others drinking.
Tell me it's not always gonna be so hard!!!
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-07, 08:18
Clueless. ODAAT.

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 290.6/290.6/180 Female 5'10"
BF:I do not care!
Progress: 0%

Just keep trying, delpho. That's all you can go...one day at a time.

Have you attended any local 'live' AA meetings? Support from others is VERY helpful!
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-07, 03:03

BF:

Im Very Proud Of You Delphoene, For Turning Down An Event So That You Will Not Become Influenced, I Did Well Up To Last Night, Although I Did Not Get Drunk I Did Drink, I Work Very Long Hrs So I Fell Asleep After One Drink, Which Is A Good Thing I Guess Because I Didnt Over Indulge, For Circumstantial Reasons Though. I Just Want To Quit Altogether. You Keep Up The Good Work, My Husband Doesnt Drink At All, So That Makes Me Really Feel Like An "holic". So Sticking Out Like A Tipsy Thumb In Your Own House Is Definately No Good Feeling, We Can Do This, Stay Encouraged And Keep Encouraging!
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-07, 05:11
Sugar Free & Sober!

Plan: Atkins/maintenance
Stats: 186/155/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Hello Divaveda,
I'm an alcoholic too.
The hardest thing I ever done was to admit that.
But that is the first step to recovery. Get to some meetings. They are so much a part of recovery, also get a sponser.
It was so hard for me to just stop drinking. I finally got to a point that I knew that I had to. I'm sure everyone has their own point to where they know that the drinking just has to stop.
I had some terrible things happen that I won't go into details here but I am so glad that I am alive and I still have my family. My family respects me now that I have stopped drinking.
You can't do it alone. You need the support of others that have been there.
Delphoene, it does get easier but I still have my days. It will be a constant battle but one well worth it.
I have been sober a little over 10 months and I know I can't be at a social event where there is liquor. I don't know if I will ever be ready for that but I know I'm not yet. I have turned down many invitations and I'm sure I will turn down many more in the future.
That has made me so proud of myself and I do get a little stronger everyday.
Good luck to you both.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-07, 15:21

BF:

THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR STORY HAYES, WE CAN AND WILL DO THIS, AS LONG AS WE ARE BLESSED WITH ANOTHER DAY, WE ARE BLESSED WITH ANOTHER CHANCE.

Last edited by divaveda : Sun, Nov-11-07 at 16:52.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-07, 14:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 132/106/110 Female 63
BF:
Progress:

There is a great online support group for women with alcohol issues. it's called Women for Sobriety - site is http://groups.msn.com/WomenforSobri...ssageboard.msnw

I've found it immensely helpful.

Caz
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-07, 17:13
Sugar Free & Sober!

BF:

Thanks for that link.
I'm going to check it out.
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-07, 22:02

Stats: 163/129.4/133 Female 160cm
BF:28%
Progress: 112%

Hi DivaVeda
Although I have never been an alcoholic, I have suffered through addiction. I was addicted to Heroin for many years and finally got on methadone to stop. This addiction proved harder to beat than heroin. At some point in time I started on crystal meth and so found myself hooked on two opposing drugs. I too hated my addiction and hated the drugs yet continued powerless to stop.

It seemed like wherever I went, I would always find people like myself. I moved to 3 different states and always found myself entrenched in the drug culture to some degree or another.

During this time, I ended up in a relationship where my boyfreind decided to go to church and become a christian. I was not impressed but went with him anyway. I didn't get much out of it and the relationship ended. I wasn't happy about this so decided to go to church just to see if I'd run into him.

I wasn't driving at the time so had to wait for a bus but unknown to me, the buses were not running on this day. I sent up a quick little prayer (with no faith behind it whatsoever) "God, if you're really there, please get someone to stop and offer me a lift".

Well, no sooner had I spoken these words, a car slowed down as it went past the bus stop with a woman peering out at me. The car swung over, did a u-turn and pulled up in front of me. The lady had her 2 tweenage kids in the car and said "oh, I'm sorry, I thought you were a friend that might need a lift to church"

Suffice it to say, I decided at that moment that there was a God and that God was listening to me. From that point things began to change - slowly.

I still struggled with my addictions, yet I knew that God could help me. It didn't happen overnight, In fact I even had times of going to church while on methamphetamines. It was a difficult, difficult time. I knew I wanted off these drugs and yet it was soooo hard. I was weak!

I wish I could say that God delivered my from my addictions overnight when I gave my life to Christ but for me it didn't happen that way. It took almost a year of struggling, weeping and crying out.

I met my husband online while going through all this. He was in the US and I in Australia. We began a freindship and finally he came over to meet me. I told him everything about my past (and present) and he accepted everything. He was also a christian.

He went back to the US for a while before we married and I ended up coming off the methadone and the methamphetamines - It was a nightmare.

Each day I would pray weeping and begging for release from the agony I was going through. I fought against the desire to get drugs and turned to God for mercy in getting me through this. I spoke to my now husband each day and enlisted his support. I also had my new friend from the bus stop who was there for me. She was amazing and we continue to be great friends to this day.

I had to get rid of all the people from my past or risk going back down. It was hard as I lived in a block of units that had 2 meth dealers I'd previously dealt with each day.

To top all this off I was still holding down my job. Amazingly, I was able to tell my immediate team leader I was getting off methadone - which is a legal substance (I didn't mention the methamphetamines) so he understood my lethargy, cramps etc.

Anyway, I'm getting off track, the point is, I wasn't able to do it on my own. I surrounded myself with people who were willing to support me, including the wonderful man who is now my husband. I turned to God for His strength and His comfort.

I don't know if you have faith in God but if you don't, consider asking him for his help. What do you have to lose?

Also, you must have at least one person you can trust and confide in to help you get through this. You have to make a decision and jump in.

You may find yourself falling off the wagon but when you do, just GET BACK ON IT. If you stay down you'll only feel worse and it will be harder to get back up. Don't beat yourself up, just get up!

Nothing will make this an easy journey for you, it will be an uncomfortable and painful struggle but one that will be worth it in the long run. Go to a doctor and see what meds you can get to ease the discomfort and prevent possible fits.

You are worth more than this. You are a woman of worth and substance, don't let alcohol steal you away. YOU CAN DO IT even though it feels like you can't.

I have now been clean for about 5 and half years. I have 2 beautiful daughters and have been married for 5.

Every now and then I still have dreams about my past but I am well and truly over it. I don't crave or desire any of the crap from my past. When I get those dreams now, I wake up grateful that it was just a dream!

Stay straight long enough and it gets easier and easier. Eventually, those cravings are a dim memory.

I know it's been said before, but if I can do, you can bet your butt you can do it too!

I'm sorry if this post has gone on so long but I just hope to have been able to encourage you into believing that sobriety is not only possible, but an absolute certainty for your life.

God Bless you

Sylvie
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-07, 04:09
Sugar Free & Sober!

BF:

Wow, thanks for sharing that.
You have come a long way.
You should be very proud of where you are today.
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-07, 04:42

Stats: 163/129.4/133 Female 160cm
BF:28%
Progress: 112%

Thanks Hayes
You too should be proud... 10 months sober is a huge acheivement.

There will come a time when you can go to a social event with liquor and not be tempted. It may take some time but it will happen.

For now though, I think you're wise to keep yourself from these events untill you've reached that stage. There's no point putting yourself through unnecessary temptations.

That's the thing with alcohol, it's everywhere. In this country alcohol is a huge part of the culture. At my work, every Friday night they have drinks in the lunch room. It's almost expected that you will drink.

There are huge numbers of binge drinkers and kids are starting younger and younger. Our legal age is 18 but that doesn't stop parents from supplying their teens with alcohol at parties well before they reach this age. Many seem to have the attitude that it's better for them to drink at home where they can see them. Unfortunately this doesn't prevent the risky behaviours and severe level of binge drinking in these kids.

I'm sorry, I'm ranting now
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-07, 23:49

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 238/218.5/158 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 24%

I can't give any advice since I hate the taste of alcohol and cannot get it down. I do have a food addiction and don't get it so I understand how you feel about doing something you hate so much. If you need someone to talk to you can send me a message or go to my journal. Any time you need a friend stop by.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Jul-08-16, 01:39

Plan: dr. Boz Keto Continuum
Stats: 265/226/165 Female 175 centimeters
BF:53/46.8/21
Progress: 39%

One of the alternatives to AA is the HAMS network (Members affectionately refer to themselves as HAMSters!) . I just read their book "How to Change Your Drinking" by Kenneth Anderson.

I understand they take a lot of flak for supposedly "enabling" drinkers to continue, but the program can be used for any drinking change, from harm reduction (giving someone your car keys for instance) to complete lifelong abstinence.

One thing that strikes me about the approach is a total lack of any judgment.

And keep up the great work everyone!!

Last edited by Equinox : Fri, Jul-08-16 at 02:49.