Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-07, 23:37

Plan: ATKINS / CUSTOMIZED
Stats: 275/269/150 Female 5feet 2inches
BF:
Progress: 5%
Unhappy Im An Alcoholic!!!!!

IM NOT DOING WELL ON MY DIET, EVERY DAY I HAVE TO HAVE A BOTTLE OF TWO OF CHARDONAY OR SHIRAZ AND ON BINGE DAYS I GO FOR A LITTLE LESS THAN A LITER OF RUM (ON OFF[WORK] DAYS). IM FUNCTIONAL, ONLY THOSE CLOSE TO ME KNOW OF MY ADDICTION, STILL ITS ALL BAD AND I TRULY BELIEVE IT LEADS TO MY DIET DEMISE, LET ALONE MY OVERALL HEALTH. I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO SELF CONTROL, NO WILLPOWER AND I HATE DRINKING AS MUCH AS I HATE BEING FAT!! HOW COULD YOU HATE SOMETHING SO MUCH AND STILL DO IT? PLEASE HELP ME, WHAT CAN I DO TO COMBAT THIS ADDICTION ALONG WITH MY FOOD ADDICTION? I WANT SO BAD TO BE IN CONTROL OF MY LIFE, IVE BEEN SPIRALING DOWN FOR 7 YEARS NOW, IM NOT HEALTHY OR HAPPY AT THIS WEIGHT.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-07, 05:50

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 499.0/166.0/199.0 Male 75 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Those that know me on these forums, know that Im a schizophrenic and when I black out (psychotic episdoe) I have been known to binge uncontrollably. Not by choice, just something in the brain triggers and says drink till you cant take anymore.

What worked for me was the right combo of meds and something called Antabuse -- used under doctor supervision of course. One drink while on Antabuse and you wont ever do it again, unless you like puking your guts out for 12-24 hours. It's a crutch to be sure and doesnt cure the real problem for alcoholics, but a few memorable experiences like that and you might think twice the next. Talk to your GP, read some literature, attend meetings, and stay strong you can make it work.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-07, 07:20

BF:

Thank You So Much For Caring Enough To Reply, Ive Been Checking For Replies All Night Because I Felt So Alone In This Battle, I Apreciate Your Advice And I Will Talk To My Gp About It. Today Is Once Again A New Start And I Will Fight With The Intention To Win These Battles, Its Hard Having Two Addictions That Affect You One And The Same, Im Totally Aware That They Are Both Brought On By Depression, Yet These Are The Very Things Causing My Depression, I Dont Know, Its All Crazy, But I Refuse To Give Up, I Have To Win To Live. Thanks So Much!!!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-07, 07:30

BF:

The only trick with Antabuse is that you have to commit to taking it. Wake up in the morning and tell yourself I am going to take this pill no matter what. They will probably want to do a liver panel first to check for problems before prescribing it, and you must be careful with mouthwash, perfumes, cooking wine, etc. I had two experiences back when I took it from both mouthwash and eating something that had been prepared in a wine sauce -- the medicine is very sensitive, but as a crutch it might get you past the cravings.

Have you stopped and gone through withdrawls yet??
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-07, 12:39

BF:

no. not really, today will be the first day of many, what should i expect?
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-07, 14:04

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

divaveda, you really need a face to face support group; real people who share and understand what you are struggling with to whom you can be accountable and who you meet with regularly.
AA is a well recognized and longstanding program, but there are others as well. Check in your local yellow pages under 'addiction counseling' to find what options are available in your city.
You may also want to talk to your doctor about your intention to quit drinking and discuss whether or not you may need to be monitored while going through withdrawal (this is medically necessary for some people because severe withdrawal can be dangerous) or whether some medications that can ease withdrawal symptoms may be helpful for you.
My mother was an alcoholic and I watched her go through withdrawal multiple times; it was never pleasant.
Recognizing that you have a problem is the first step in overcoming it.

On a positive note, because sugar and alcohol tend to hit a lot of the same triggers in the brain, going low carb can help tremendously in beating your alcohol addiction.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-07, 16:29

Plan: LC combo
Stats: 223/211/150 Female 5ft.4in.
BF:
Progress: 16%

The only way to get away from alcohol was to get away COMPLETELY from sugar. It is one in the same for addicts. Alcoholics on sugar-free diest respond better than alcoholics who try low-fat diets or don't change their diets at all. I would drink to excess frequently before ridding my body of the sugar.

And get to an AA meeting, get a sponsor, get someone to be responsible to, that you can call day or night and a group that will let you be you. Be warned - this means a COMPLETE lifestyle change. You have to give up your drinking friends (some for a while, some for good) or at least those who encourage you to drink, or might encourage you to eat sugar. They can be devastating on rehab. And talk to a doctor to combine counseling with diet and medication - that is GREAT advice.
Your doctor needs to know - my allergist monitored my progress. It wasn't fun but I've been past it for five years and I wouldn't go back to it. Best of luck...Cheers!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-07, 17:33
Butter is Better!

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 234/220.4/160 Female 5"8.5"
BF:its back again!
Progress: 18%

I think the first step should be AA, then the diet, I have been sober 15 years and I have seen many people make it, but doing the diet at the same time might be too much, Good Luck to you.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-07, 23:50

BF:

Thank you all for your support, I really, really appreciate it. I fought the urge to drink after work tonight and Im proud of myself, expressing my anguish alone is healing and your responses are even more healing, I needed to talk to someone and you guys make me feel like I can do this, thank you.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-07, 05:21

BF:

Ditto what they said above, AA or a similar group, with a sponsor works wonders, and yes going through withdrawls can be very dangerous and if you have been a heavy drinker for many years needs to be monitored. I spent 7 days in ICU after a psychotic binge practically knocked out on Ativan for the whole time. Not a pretty picture to try to do it on your own. Discussion with your doctor in advance would be the right course of action.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Nov-03-07, 14:15

Plan: Anabolic Diet
Stats: 118/127/127 Female 5"8
BF:
Progress: 100%

I'm an alcoholic too. 2 nights ago, I could have died because of it. I shan't go into details, but let's just say it has been a wake-up call.
Divaveda, please feel free to PM me any time. Just reading your post has already made me feel less alone. I think it is always best to try and deal with one addiction at a time, though the 2 can certainly go together. In the past, I have been very guilty of ending a heavy night's drinking with a carb binge. Filling out my PLAN every day on this website has made me realise just how many of my daily calories were coming from alcohol -a whopping 40% on average! It has also helped me to stay motivated and accountable. I have come to fully realise how much my drinking was standing in the way of the body I have always wanted -in spite of carefully watching my diet and hours of working out. Body aside, I am in danger of losing everything good in my life if I do not stop drinking.
WE CAN DO THIS!!!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Nov-04-07, 15:30

BF:

Hi delphoene, unfortunately i dont have enough privilages to send you a private message, however i want you to know i am very pleased that you sent that encourging reply, i need a battle buddy, and yes, we can do this!!! since my last reply i have done fairly ok, i slipped up thursday evening. im not mad or depressed because thanks to this forum i actually have the strength to skip a few days, and with professional help, i , we, will win.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Nov-04-07, 19:53

Plan: Anabolic Diet
Stats: 118/127/127 Female 5"8
BF:
Progress: 100%

My partner is about to go look at some video footage of the incident I mentioned could have cost me my life. The police have officially requested it. I am so scared of what might be on that video.
Positive point, right now I am wanting to run off to the gym, not the pub.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Nov-04-07, 23:28

BF:

that is positive, i hope it all works in your favor and i pray no one else life is involved, keep me posted.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-07, 12:22
Clueless. ODAAT.

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 290.6/290.6/180 Female 5'10"
BF:I do not care!
Progress: 0%

AA is what worked for me...sober almost four years now.

There is a thread for Friends of Bill W. (AA founder) on here; come on over!