Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 15:26

Plan: Atkins 220.5lbs Jan 2007
Stats: 250/220.5/150 Female 5'5"
BF:?/?/25%
Progress: 30%
Default Found A Cure For My Stall!

I was 180 pounds for 2 or 3 months, no matter how often I worked out or HOW I worked out. It was driving me insane, as you can well imagine.

I tried a herbal cleanse/detox. It was a 12 day one by Wild Rose, but there are lots of cleanses on the market. Anyway, I had to cut out dairy (except butter) and anything fermented, including vinegar.

It was SO worth it. I lost about 6 pounds in the first week and I have continued to lose about 1/4 to 1/2 a pound each day since I finished the cleanse. I have decided not to re-incorporate dairy into my diet until I have reached my final goal weight. I am also going to start doing a cleanse at least twice a year from now on.

I just thought I'd share this in case you experience a stall and want to try this. Even if you don't lose any weight from it (which you WILL), you'll feel so much better afterwards.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 15:35

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 417/213/117 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 68%

Never heard of it. Gotta link?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 16:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/163/125 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Effect of the cleanse?

What happens when you do this cleanse? Do you have to spend the day in the bathroom? Sorry to be clueless, this sounds good, but I have never done anything like it. I echo the question, got a link for the Wild Rose or a recommendation where to buy it?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 17:50

http://www.wildrose.com

There are 3 sets of herbal pills you take, 2 of each, twice a day with breakfast and supper. Plus there is this tincture you take, which tastes gross but you just swallow it quickly with a water chaser.

There is a laxative supplement you take. It REALLY cleanses your digestive system, the first few days are the worst but I didn't have to stay home or anything like that. The package also says that if the laxative effect is too strong for you, cut down to one pill twice a day, rather than two.

The diet you have to follow on the cleanse is low carb, so you're already ahead of the game if you're on Atkins. In addition to the low carb aspect, you can't have anything fermented...no wine, no vinegar, etc. No dairy(except butter), no yeast and no fungus (mushrooms, citrus fruit as the rinds have a naturally occurring mold)...the diet is very specific but as I said, it's pretty easy to follow if you've already been on Atkins for a while.

I know that dairy can make you stall, and now that I have gone through the trouble of eliminating it from my diet for 12 days, I have decided not to start eating it again. I think it will keep me on track

Does anyone find that cheeze makes them crave more cheeze? I find that I can easily eat my 3-4 ounces of cheeze and still want more.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 19:00
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I'm leaning towards thinking that eliminating the dairy and fermented foods, etc., sounds suspiciously like what Dr Atkins says to do if you have reason to believe you're sensitive to yeast... and I'm wondering if a "cleanse" with laxatives is such a good idea.....you ARE losing weight, but intestinal contents and water aside, it sounds a bit unsafe IMO.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 23:47

Honestly, it's perfectly safe unless you have some sort of health problem already. I was losing weight fine before, and I happened to have a stall. The yeast and dairy thing is just to help cleanse your system, and it leaves you in an alcaline state which means you don't get cravings, etc. I feel fantastic and the laxative is not like ex lax or anything. It is a natural herbal cleanse. Anyway, if you don't think it's safe, you have a right to your opinion. I'm just sharing what's worked for me becasue it has worked SO incredibly well. I'm healthy, and after months of working out with virtually no results, within the past two weeks I have seen a dramatic change. Try or don't try it. I am going to do a cleanse twice a year from now on.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 23:56

I took this from the wildrose website. The product name is Herbal D-Tox, but they have other products as well.
http://www.wildrose.com

Herbal D-Tox
[6436] 1 kit, CS, 12

Suggested Price: $38.45 CDN

Contains: Biliherb, Laxaherb, Cleansaherb, CL Herbal Extract.

Internal cleansing is considered to be the cornerstone of good health by many natural health care practitioners. Pollutants from the environment - found in the air, water and foods that we eat - as well as wastes produced from normal bodily processes, can tend to accumulate within the body and lead to a state of congestion. To help maintain a healthy balance of assimilation and elimination, the Wild Rose Herbal D-Tox Program is uniquely designed to enhance all aspects of metabolism.

Wild Rose Biliherb formula gently promotes bile production by the liver, supporting digestion and enhancing the elimination of toxins. Laxaherb, Cleansaherb and CL Herbal Extract additionally support the cleansing and elimination of wastes from the system.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 18:02

Stats: 182/168/150 Female 5'5"
BF:who knows?
Progress: 44%

Hey Marie!
I have been thinking about detoxing for a while now.
Sure am glad that I stumbled across your thread and all the good information too. Flor-essence is
another brand for detoxing that someone told me about and he said that it was for 3 weeks.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 09:57

Let me know how it goes
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 12:09
Low Carb Cowgirl

Stats: 210/174/145 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 55%

I am currently doing a cleanse, I got it at the local health food store and the girl there recomended it for low carb diet. It is called low carb cleanse I think. It didn't tell me to stay away from fermented things or (I think I read ) mushrooms. I have been eating mushrooms still. The one I am doing is a very gentle cleanse that contains herbal ingredients and magnesium (sp) I have not had to stay home and the only incident I had with having to run to the bathroom was my own fault.... I wasn't thinking about it and had one of the russell stovers sugar free candies with sugar alcohol in it....that on top of a herbal cleanse, will cleanse you all right...lol.
I haven't completed it yet, but I do feel like my pants are a little tight around the waist today, has anyone else experienced any bloating or weight gain from a cleanse?????
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 15:08

How long have you been on the cleanse? I have heard of the low carb cleanse. Is it by Renew Life or Wild Rose?
I bought some "Cleanse More" by Renew Life as a supplement to my bi-annual cleanses. It's to help cleanse the colon, which is perfect for people on low carb diets.
I didn't notice my clothes getting tighter, but how long have you been doing the cleanse? I would say, not to be nit picky, but if you're eating low carb candies while doing a cleanse, you're not getting the full benefit. The idea of the cleanse is to have a clean slate by the time you're finished. I would save the treats for AFTER you're done the cleanse.
Also, what part of your cycle are you in? You might just be bloated due to hormones or something. Does anyone else have anything to add?
Good luck with your cleanse

Last edited by MarieB : Fri, Oct-03-03 at 15:10.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 20:01

Stats: 182/168/150 Female 5'5"
BF:who knows?
Progress: 44%

I thought on a cleanse that you would lose weight...??? that is what a friend of mine told me.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 22:42

Yes, you should be losing weight on the cleanse. But you can't expect to lose weight the first day. Everyone's body responds to things differently. If she has a high level of toxins, that could be causing her to bloat, but maybe she will have lost weight by the time she finishes the cleanse. To the best of my knowledge, if you watch what you eat, exercise regularly, drink plenty of water and follow the cleanse plan to a "t", then you should lose at least a few pounds. I lost about 10, and another girl I know lost 18 pounds on a 15 day cleanse...some of that had to be water weight though.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 07:25
Low Carb Cowgirl

Stats: 210/174/145 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 55%

I stopped doing the cleanse. I was in about day 5 or 6 (it is a 21 day) and I think I got the flu (kids had it last week) I felt horrible, almost passed out at work, got diarhea (sp) had to have someone drive me home. I will try it again when I feel like 100% again, but not quite ready to resume just yet. I had a hysterectomy 2 years ago, so I dont have that TOM anymore. Don't think that caused the bloating, it is gone now though. Will let you know how it goes when I start it again.
Does anyone know if the cleanse could have caused the flu-y pass out feelings to have started, just a thought.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 10:30

Yes, the cleanse could be to blame for the flu-like symptoms. Or it could really be the flu if your kids were all sick, too.
Did the cleanse come with any directions? A good cleanse, if it's doing it's job, can make you feel yucky for the first few days. The more toxins and junk you need to cleanse from your system, the worse you will feel. Getting pimples, mild nausea, mild headache, muscle aches, irritablilty and things like that are normal for the first few days of a cleanse. Also, if you have an exisiting condition like arthritis, acne, psoriasis, etc., it may worsen before it starts to get better.
If you have the flu, you are NOT supposed to do a cleanse, so it's good that you stopped and you can start up again when you are feeling better.
Good luck and I hope you feel 100% soon Let me know how it goes.