Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-12-07, 13:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins 1st, South Beach
Stats: 204/180/155 Female 5' 4''
BF:
Progress: 49%
Smile Would you allow your kids too....

I've heard sugar compared to a lot of things, including heroin. I agree its addictive and theres no real need for it to be eaten, but I do still allow it to a certain level. My question is, would you allow your child to go over to a friends house that had junk food in it. Without you there to police them. Just curious. Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-12-07, 13:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 316/238/170 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 53%

I think that comparing sugar to heroin is ridiculous. Like anything, moderation is key. Of course..in my home, my daughter is allowed to have a "treat" on saturday - usually means lunch out and a chocolate bar, or popcorn or licorice or whatever. that way she is learning what a "treat" is, and that it is special and for once in awhile. I think if a person is military in their approach, that children will get resentful and when they are teens, disregarding everything..if they are taught young good eating habits, then the occassional treat is not going to affect their health.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-12-07, 13:52

Stats: 275/159/145 Female 5 feet five inches
BF:
Progress: 89%

I believe if sugar treats are offered as something "special" every now and then it is fine.
Kinda like alcohol, you can have a few drinks every now and then fine, if you are always drinking then there is a problem.
MY OPINON, if you agree fine, if you dont agree fine.

Take care
Astrid
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-12-07, 14:10

Plan: atkins/hcg
Stats: 228/162/135 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 71%

When I allow my 17yr old daughter to go to a friends house for a "slumber party" its certainly not the food I'm worrying about!!! So my answer is YES of course I would let them go to other kids houses with junk food. Heck our house has junk food -

Last edited by joylorene : Fri, Jan-12-07 at 14:22. Reason: restating
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-12-07, 14:19
Don't Call Me Sugar

Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%

Of course I would. If I totally restricted his diet, he would see sugar as wicked and fascinating! Plus, nothing good would come of trying to control my child's sugar intake so much that it cratered his social life. A little sugar now and then won't hurt a normal healthy child; they are coursing full of HGH.

There really are no evil foods, by themselves. The overall diet is what's important.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-12-07, 14:20
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterlily
I think that comparing sugar to heroin is ridiculous.

Agreed. My 2-year-old eats protein, veggies, fruit, healthy dairy and whole grains 75% of the time. But she's also a kid and I'm a busy single mom, so she gets the occasional chicken nuggets or Oreo and I don't exactly consider myself a drug dealer for supplying her with that junk food.

So yes, I would let her go to a friend's house where I knew she'd have access to unhealthy food. I do not obsess over super-strict food rules anymore. I prefer to live a little and not let food (unhealthy OR healthy) control me, but I certainly respect those who choose not to eat a bite of sugar or processed food for the rest of their lives.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-12-07, 14:23

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 220/214/145 Female 67
BF:yes, I admit it
Progress: 8%

Yup, they can go. And I don't even ask questions about it. I am more likely to ask if there are any guns in the house, or what adult will be home.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-12-07, 14:31

Plan: Non specific
Stats: 189/157.8/137 Female 66 inches
BF:37.8%/27?/23
Progress: 60%

Yeah, I could care less. I'm more concerned whether they have evil dogs (that'll bite my kids) or evil trampolines (that'll injure my kids) or evil teenage siblings (that'll influence my kids) than whether there happen to be evil cheetos lurking around.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-12-07, 14:53

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymadori
Yeah, I could care less. I'm more concerned whether they have evil dogs (that'll bite my kids) or evil trampolines (that'll injure my kids) or evil teenage siblings (that'll influence my kids) than whether there happen to be evil cheetos lurking around.

FUNNY!!! but what is bad is I have everyone of those evils! except my 2 120lb dogs wouldn't bite and my trampoline has a huge safety net (it has even kept me inside) but yes the evil siblings (my kids would say that theirs are all evil).
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-12-07, 15:06

Plan: atkins
Stats: 179.6/179.6/144 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 0%

It's funny, in our house we always have a bowl of treats. Now at Christmas I throw out the Halloween treats and Valentines day I throw out the Christmas and and and.
So your thinking what is funny? My kid hardly touches it, and yes there are things there he likes. But the neighbourhood kids.....now that is a different story............It is obvious that there house is treat free... to them it is get when one can or it will be gone............I guess I'm the house you don't want to send your child to.
I've never made a big deal out of gum, candies, chocolates or anything considered by some to be a treat, so my son doesn't consider it a treat or anything else. It's a choice, like if I don't eat enough vegetables I'll get "backed up" or if I eat too many fries I get bad cramps, this is also true for pizza. I remind him if he needs to eat some more fruit or vegetables but he knows that's what keeps your body moving.
Jo
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-12-07, 15:20
Northern Mike

Plan: This time? LOL..
Stats: 251/228/190 Male 73 inches
BF:Weight in journal
Progress: 38%

Eating treats at a friends house is not anywhere near the top of my "list of things I don't want my kids to do".

Heck.. they're kids.. and chances are their metabolism's will burn it off anyway. If you promote decent (not TOO strict) eating habits at home, then they'll likely be able to go back to that if they need to as adults.

You're worried about sugar?? LOL.. just wait until they're TEENAGERS!! AAAAAAHHHHHHHH

Mike
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-12-07, 15:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins 1st, South Beach
Stats: 204/180/155 Female 5' 4''
BF:
Progress: 49%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddioM
Eating treats at a friends house is not anywhere near the top of my "list of things I don't want my kids to do".

Heck.. they're kids.. and chances are their metabolism's will burn it off anyway. If you promote decent (not TOO strict) eating habits at home, then they'll likely be able to go back to that if they need to as adults.

You're worried about sugar?? LOL.. just wait until they're TEENAGERS!! AAAAAAHHHHHHHH

Mike

Thats just it, I'm not worried about sugar really, at least for my kids. I preach moderation to my kids, not the evils of sugar. They eat an overall healthy diet, I was just curious about everybody else. The heroin comparison wasn't mine, that was actually posted by a couple other people. If a plate of oreos and some soda is the worst thing my kids get into, I'll count my blessings!!!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jan-12-07, 16:36
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Wait until they hit their teens and twenties... I'd even throw in some Ding-Dongs if it meant keeping them out of a LOT of things.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jan-12-07, 16:44

BF:

My VERY WISE DAYCARE PROVIDER (bless her soul) blessed with watching after all 3 of my "angels" once said to me - she had 2 teenage daughters at the time - When they get to be teenagers choose your battles carefully and don't sweat the small stuff - and boy was she right!!! I use those words with my 17yr old daughter every day. My husband on the other hand hasn't figured that one out yet and I laugh and tell him that is why his hair is thinning!! HA
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jan-12-07, 16:57

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble

the only way i would have an issue with it is if i knew there was something that my kid was severely allergic to and the kid was too young to really understand that no, they can't have the chocolate chip cookie because the chocolate will send them into anaphalactic shock... i'd tell the parents of the other kid.

it's not up to me to tell any other parent what they can or can't have in their house... junk food included.