Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 17:45

Plan: Slim in 6
Stats: 232/????/162 Female 5'7"
BF:too much :-)
Progress: 74%
Default Hi Kingwood

I just joined this post last evening and I'm looking forward to reading all the helpful posts here.I did see that your parents had an accident and I'm so happy to hear that they will be ok.I commend you,Kingwood,for being so strong in what you need to do for you this time. I have been there so I know of what you speak. I wish you the best in your "inches lost" endeavor.

Have a great LC Day,
Linda
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 07:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/260/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I wanted to join this thread because I am having a hard time right now and I still have 50 lbs to go. I need to get back on track and have resolved to do the fat fast for a few stays starting Monday and then go on induction until I lose at least 15 lbs. July 8th will be my one year anniversary on Atkins, and I would have dearly loved to have lost 100 lbs by then. I don't think that is possible, but I want to get as close to it as I possibly can.
  #123   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 14:06

Default Meat Fast

MayLisa,Even stalled,you have done great!

I,too,have thought of doing the fat fast but what I did do a while back was the meat fast. Nothing but meat X2 days and no processed meat.It does take preparing ahead as you should not have deli or processed meats.I lost 7 lbs. and was thrilled as I had been stalled for months. However,I was foolish enough not to go right on induction and was eating "legal treats" so I put them back on but from what I read,if sensible,you should keep them off.

I do not judge what anyone does/needs to do,it is just that a fat fast should only be done when stalled for a long time and after you have eliminated all other causes of the stall.This is according to Atkins but we all do what is right for us.

I hope this helps.Have a great LC Day.
Linda
  #124   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 16:34

Plan: Atkins/testing CAD
Stats: 198/184/145
BF:
Progress: 26%

I'm trying to be content where I am, to live in the moment instead of somewhere else. I want to break the habit of always looking for a faster way, a quicker fix, something to give me immediate gratification rather than just being content knowing I'm on the right path already.

I know I'm eating the right foods, I'm getting my vitamins and my exercise. I'm sleeping better, waking up rested, and just feeling better over all and defintely more in control of my eating behavior so there is nothing else I need to do. I don't need to change anything even though my head often tells me that I do. If I had a graph to show me at what rate I gained all this weight I would undoubtedly see that it happend in the same way its coming off. I didn't gain all this weight in a few months, or even one year so why should I think I can do it any faster in reverse?

When I let my head keep telling me I "should be" losing faster, I am doing nothing more than beginning the steps toward self-sabatoge. And that is something I can't afford.
  #125   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 11:01
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

Quote:
When I let my head keep telling me I "should be" losing faster, I am doing nothing more than beginning the steps toward self-sabatoge. And that is something I can't afford.

What can I say? Words of wisdom.
Seems this great thread is needed back on page one. It always is.....sigh.
  #126   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 07:48

Plan: General LC
Stats: 232/157.4/145 Female 5'6.5
BF:...getting lower
Progress: 86%

just a bump...
  #127   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 14:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/SBD
Stats: 185/166/130 Female 66
BF:???
Progress: 35%

My issues are serious. I equate my weight with my "worthiness" to receive romantic love. For example, I don't think I "deserve" sex until I can control my weight/food issues. I need therapy! But even if I do receive therapy, will I really be able to actually go out there and meet a man who loves me the way I am? That's not really in my control, is it? Besides, relying on a man (i.e. external source)'s love to control my issues is NOT a good way to resolve this anyhow.

Thanks for this thread. I've made good progress so far, but as many have said I always seem to drift away and sabotage myself at the 20 lb mark, and I'm getting close to it.
  #128   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 14:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/SBD
Stats: 185/166/130 Female 66
BF:???
Progress: 35%

Any ideas from those who have gotten over a mental plateau?? Now I'm beginning to think--"well, I can lose weight even if I eat that cake/cookie as long as I skip dinner..."

Not good!!!!!
  #129   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 09:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins / South Beach mix
Stats: 163.5/163/125 Female 59.5
BF:WAY TOO MUCH !!
Progress: 1%

There is a lot of thoughtfulness and great insight here.
Thank you all for sharing from your heart!
  #130   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 08:38

Plan: Atkins, Daily Cardio, Some weight training, Pillates & Yoga
Stats: // Female 5'8.5
BF:25.5%
Progress:

Hi Terri and thanks for thinking of us!

I lost and gained more times than I can count. The first time I gained alot of weight was at 29 when I first became pregnant, stopped working, quit smoking, and had sugar cravings like you read about. How I wish I knew about this WOE thru both my pregnancies - it would have been healthier for me and the babies! Both thank you God my children were 100% healthy albeit chubby babies.
It took 2 years of continuous exercise and (painfully) giving up the foods I love ..then in one month it just all came off ....a lb a day...it was strange but I'm not sure my body was ready to give up the extra 40 lbs. until that time?!?
Then my second child came 9 years later and at age 38 I put on 70 lbs. with that pregnancy. Since then my dd is now 6 I have lost 20+ lbs and gained 4 times. The last attempt I was doing so incredibly well....I was exerciing daily, watching carbs, taking my supplements, doing my yoga and then boom on the way to the gym I was thrown off my bike, right over the handle bars. I broke my arm and had a bump on my head that I still have! I was very lucky I wasn't hurt worse tho. After the doc told me I couldn't exercise for 6 weeks...I was mad I could have walked and I did a bit but I ate my frustration away and gained it all back. This time I'm praying nothing happens ...the 3 other attempts a major crisis happend I won't bore you with now....but I almost feel like the universe is sabotaging me right when I'm about to get close to goal. Or maybe I bring it on? This time I'm convinced I will make health and fitness a way of life !
  #131   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 19:26

I hope this finds everyone being able to deal with their mental side of eating issues and self image.So many say they have this problem and feel alone in it but I think it is pretty much universal for we are deluged with pictures in magazines,movies and TV of how we "should" look.To look different than how we should look we feel like losers...inadequate and like our lives are a runaway train. I think we all need to really look inside and pay more attention to what others see...the person within.If we could just love ourselves more I think others would see us different for who we are.

Margeme,it sounds like you have had a bad time of it but now you have found the right WOE and a support network to get you through without judging unfairly in any manner. Maybe now that you have been working on a more positive attitude you will indeed have better luck.Just know that we are all pulling for you on this forum be it bad times or good.That is what makes this forum so great!! You take care and hope things go well in your future.

Linda
  #132   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 08:52

Plan: Atkins - modified
Stats: 280/253/160 Female 5'4"
BF:50+/44.4/25
Progress: 23%

Oh how I wish this thread was still as active... but at least I am not likely to bring it to a shuddering halt.... lol

This is quite long... but I need to say it... nobody needs to read it... lol

Only 10 days into this new WOL, hope I can stick with it, but my track record is pretty pathetic....... I have been overweight since birth... and have tried everything, including a disastrous attempt at gastric banding a few years back that almost killed me...

I tend to start keen, and then rapidly fall off the waggon, usually just as things are starting to do reasonably well... I have been able to find so many justifications for stopping.... and never really looked at just why I was doing this.. and the yo-yo effect has meant that I just steadily kept gaining...

For the past couple of years... I simply decided there was no way I was ever going to lose weight... this was me... and if people don't like me the way I am... that is their problem.. and.... surprisingly... I didn't gain any more weight... stayed pretty stable... ok.. trying not to overindulge in anything... constantly quoting my grandmother... "all things in moderation, and a little of what you fancy does you good".... but still, I didn't deprive myself of anything..

Yes, deprivation was one of my triggers.... and my favourite justification.

Last November I had another heart attack.. and again started searching for help to lose weight... nobody said I had to... think they have given up tooo...... but I knew it was important.. something I had to do...even if I didn't really want to.

I consulted a doctor whose specialty was weight reduction... and my opening line to him was.... I know all the facts, the plans, I just don't know how to make it work for me.... "did I want to lose weight".... well, I reallly don't want to deprive myself any more.... but I know I have to...
He actually commended me for my 2 years of simply eating as I felt... removing restrictions that had been in place for years.... he said that I had already overcome the first step... I had learnt to value me, and be kind to me....

Anyrate, to make a long story short.... after 4 months, a lot of money, a lot of talk, but no weight loss... we decided that my biggest problem was a mental block.... that I needed psychological help to find and understand before I was likely to succeed...

I was referred to a psychiatrist... who.... for various reasons, I only saw twice, and bailed out.... but.... all the open talking I had done with both doctors, had started me looking at things from my life, and seeing them in a different light..... starting to realise a lot of why I am like I am, and how this has sabotaged me... in many facets of my life....

So.... I remembered that the most sucess I had ever had previously was Atkins... yet stopped for what seemed very valid reasons at the time.. bought the book... started researching it all... tossed out my anti-depressants... and here I am.....

10 days in.... not really finding it difficult, in fact feeling quite indulged with the WOE... and hoping something I read earlier in this thread is true.
I feel sorrow for people who think they'll lose weight and their life will change. They will be fabulous, sexy, loving, in charge, poised, forgiving, admirable... It goes the other way...change your life and you'll lose weight.
I have gained insight, I think I am doing this because I have changed.. and so far.... it feels so right... Of course I would like to lose considerable weight... but... I have already learnt that I don't have to be thin, to be worthy, to be me...(and I'm not so bad).... and I am sure that I will achieve the health benefits I need... no matter how many pounds I may shed.... Hopefully I will not feel the need to throw my hands in the air and say "I give up"......
Only time will tell......... and threads such as this will help me stay strong....
  #133   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 14:48

Default Hi Pam

You sound like a magnificent,beautiful person who just needs to believe in herself a bit more but at the same time I feel like you are on the right track to making yourself healthier...the slimmer part is really secondary. Your health is why you started and your health will be why you continue down the road to success!Being thinner as a result will be your just reward!

I know the mental part is difficult and even though I'm a few lbs. from goal I find myself making bad choices.Only difference this time is I did not let it get out of hand and be facing a scale that looks as bloated as I feel.Sometimes it seems an enormous task to lose so many lbs. when you have fought so hard to lose them.Now,it is easier to get right back on plan since I had such a hard time losing this time.I used to weigh 232 at my heaviest and I'm now at 166 with a goal of 162(which I will then evaluate) I have traveled a long road and it was too hard to let myself go back there.

This was not meant to help but if it did...GREAT! I do want to encourage you to go for the best health you can.If I am not much help.I'll gladly settle for supporting you every day.We have a great group here and welcome to it!

Linda
  #134   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 14:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 285.4/278.2/170 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 6%

Quick post to subscribe...more thoughts later.

Sherry
  #135   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 17:22

Default Hi

Maybe this thread will become more active! We will look forward to your input 60's child!

Linda