Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 11:07
Registered Member

Plan: somersize/atkins
Stats: 172/160/140
BF:
Progress: 38%

After a while you really think and believe that people who eat sugar and french fries are not eating normally. The popular high carb diet is not what we are meant to or should be eating. Look at all the things that were once considered normal: slavery, racism, women not voting, smoking, DTT, etc... I think(hope) that refined sugar will be on that list someday.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 13:59
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I know I'm a carb addict - but people around me who aren't have a hard time understanding this.

Ask them to stop eating carbage for a week and watch their reaction:

Oh! I couldn't live without bread/chocolate/whatever! No cereal? What would I eat for breakfast! You don't drink milk? How do you get calcium, etc., etc., blah, blah, blah...

Whaddya mean you can't live without it? It's just food! Does that not sound like an addict talking? Addicts think they can't live without alcohol/crack/heroin/whatever. But a piece of bread? Doesn't something sound terribly wrong about that?

Karen
  #48   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 14:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 46%
Default My name is Kelly and I am a Carboholic

Quote:
I work on this everyday and wish I were "normal" and could eat normally but I can't. I know I can't and it's so healing to know I'm not alone.

Gee I am just thinking to myself that there is absolutely nothing "Normal" about the way most North Americans eat these days. Obesity and Type 2 diabetes being an epidemic, could any past culture have withstood this abuse without our modern medicine, that helps to counteract our diet?
Many companies are reaping the benefits fron this "socially acceptable" addiction.
I took an engineers tour of a Sugar Refinery here in Vancouver. They let us see everything basically!
Well when the sugar comes in off the ships it is dumped into a huge storage building the size of a football stadium. Catapillars and heavy equipment, dripping diesel and oil, etc are used to move the raw stuff around. Sitting in the raw sugar and driving on it. It is really quite disgusting! That raw material is SO refined that we end up with that pristine white product that we all so desire! Same with the grain, think of all the storage bins you see on the Prairies or in the Ports, big moist bins. Leave a loaf of bread out in the moisture and see what a garden of mold you can create! Well once you refine that down you have that wonderful white product again with no telltale signs of where it has been. YUCK! Isn't this the same way they create those terrible street drugs that so many lives have been destroyed by?
So I would have to say welcome to a small minority of informed consumers that is growing every year!
No more "CARBAGE" for us! (Thanks Karen!)

Last edited by Ruralgurl : Wed, Feb-05-03 at 14:49.
  #49   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 13:53

Stats: 225/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Oops sorry TerriDoodle!

I think I got up on the soapbox and dropped this thread dead in the water.
Thanks for the opportunity to talk about this subject though, and how much of a struggle it can be to look out for ourselves.
  #50   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 14:37
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%
Lightbulb Self realization!

So i'm looking at my journal and i'm in a stall right now and trying to keep it all together and what do I see but...

I have been sabotaging myself--- now when i'm so close!

I have not gone a week since the new year without a cheat or a LC bar or a glass of alcohol and these things have all been within my power.

So... I have asked my peanut gallery for help and i'm back on track again.

It took me a while and i'm not proud but... I did realize it at least.

I want to get to goal this time!!!
  #51   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 09:18

Plan: atkins
Stats: 168/158/148 Female 5'4"
BF:no clue!
Progress: 50%

rural girl.....soap box away! sugar is definitely an addiction and its good to know the facts.

way to go lisa! you are unstoppable now!

i am my own worst enemy. i go to the gym and walk 30 minutes, then come home and eat honeyroasted peanuts! YIKES!!!! i will have to be super careful the rest of the day to make up for that blunder. i need to get cooking so that when i am starving i dont just grab and inhale whatever!

hang in there guys!
  #52   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 01:33

Stats: 221/214/
BF:
Progress:

Wow, you guys! Thank you so much for starting this thread. I'm a long time lurker and have only posted a couple of times, but I just had to respond to this thread. I have been at my wits end the last couple of days and this thread answered my prayers.
I have gone off and on Atkins no less than 8 times in the last year, and never for more than 10 days at a time. Each time I go off plan it is because of " a holiday" or "just a bite" and it is weeks of fighting to start again. I knew I was sabotaging myself, but i couldn't figure out why. I kept trying so hard to figure it out. I want to be healthy, I want to be fit, so why do I keep tripping myself? After reading this thread I thought about it long and hard and it came to me.
All through my childhood and teen years I was bright and made good grades and everyone expected so much from me. My English teacher swore I'd write the next great American novel, and everyone expected me to do something important with my life, but after high school I got involved with a loser and skipped starting college. Then I left the loser and met my wonderful husband, but still didn't go to college. I started a couple of small businesses in my early twenties, but was never hugely successful. Then about 3 years ago I got sick and was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrom and Fibromyalgia. It was completely debilitating and stopped my life dead in it's tracks. I struggled to do basic household chores and just to keep our life in order. My symptoms are better than they were, and I have found research that suggests that my CFS and Fibro may be linked to a candida infection. So basically, stick with a LC diet and supplements and I could be healthy and thin again within a year if I stick with it. Which brings me to the sabotage. I think the reason I am sabotaging myself is because I felt like I was failing at my life before i got sick and now that I'm sick, no one really expects anything from me anymore and if I get healthy and well again, people will start to expect things from me again, and what if I fail again. What if I let everyone, myself included down again? What if I get healthy and still make nothing of my life? This was a HUGE revelation to me. I honestly hadn't even consciously thought about any of that until I read this thread. Now that I've thrown the curtains open on my fears I can deal with them.
Sorry this was sooooo long, I was so happy to finally have answers and I wanted to share with people who could understand.
Thanks to everyone!
Lexi

Last edited by lexi1424 : Sun, Feb-16-03 at 01:36.
  #53   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 06:43
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Lexi, that's wonderful to hear how this has helped you!! I wish you much success in taking the next steps to GOOD health!
  #54   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 08:18

Plan: atkins/bernstien
Stats: 450/389/150
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Bad to Say

I really hate to admit this, it took becoming a dietbetic to make me realize that i really had to get serious. I had already loss some weight when I found this out, had been LCing for app. 2 months. The shock of this put the fear of Loosing Toes,FEET, Sight,ect. into me. I can honestly say that I have not cheated. If I feel like I am going to break down and cheat I get a LC bar and this cures the problem.
Another thing for me is time and being prepared. going to a birthday dinner today, fixed fried chicken , battered with soy flour and spices, low carb cake with cream cheese frosting, and home grown stringbeans.
If all the other foods there are high carb, and high sugar, I know what I can eat.
decarber
  #55   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 09:20
Reinventing Myself

Plan: Doctor's Plan
Stats: */*/* Female 5 ft 3 in
BF:
Progress: 77%

OK...I confess...

I thought I could handle it. I was doing better...I didnt need this thread really...well I was wrong
I have been doing better, but now I am getting subtle about the sabotage. It isnt a box of chocolate (I was good on V-Day), it is getting stuffed chicken, KNOWING the crabmeat stuffing probably has a ton of carbs ("it wont be THAT bad...i didnt have any all day..") and a few spoons of rice pudding with the same excuse. So I am trying to trick myself. I am going to be on the watch again. I may have to start getting as strict as I was in the beginning...I really dont want to do that, but it may be my only choice. I am going to see how I do this week.

Thanks for letting me "come clean"

~Michelle
  #56   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 11:25
Reinventing Myself

BF:

Hey All!

I posted a poll about having an LC Convention...if you could (and anyone else who reads this too...) go put in your 2 cents. That would be great!!
Thanks!

Here is the link...I hope this works!

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=87067

~Michelle

THE POLL WAS MOVED SO I HAD TO DO A NEW LINK...IT SHOULD WORK FINE NOW!

Last edited by SummerYet : Sun, Feb-16-03 at 14:34.
  #57   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 12:42

Stats: 182/147/145 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Wow! Talk about a feeling of been there, done that! I really have a problem sharing my innermost negative thoughts with "strangers"-- heck, I don't even want to share those thoughts with myself--but you guys make me feel so much better. I just recently realized that part of the reason I allowed (and even encouraged) the weight to pack on was because I wanted to be free of the "You're not married?....poor thing"... relationship game.

Another thing that strikes home from reading this thread is that I'm still afraid this low carb success bubble is going to burst somewhere down the road. On the one hand, I've never been so sure, but can I really keep it up for life?

I've got a lot of soul searching to do. Have to look at several core beliefs. Are they truth or fiction?

judy

PS...The link doesn't work, Michelle, but I found the poll (and voted for #2) by doing a search for "Convention".
  #58   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 19:09

Plan: atkins
Stats: 168/158/148 Female 5'4"
BF:no clue!
Progress: 50%

Michelle,
glad you came back. why not put your food into fitday for a few days to see where you really are. it truly opened my eyes to hidden carbs. even strait black coffee has carbs! be honest with yourself and your body....YOU DESERVE IT!!!!!!
  #59   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 19:12
Reinventing Myself

BF:

Thanks Kimberlina...

I know I should do the Fitday thing...I used to be addicted to it! I said for just this week I am going to post my food in my journal and see how I do. If I am still stalling or whatever...fitday here I come....thanks for the support.

~Michelle
  #60   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-03, 10:35
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Another thing that strikes home from reading this thread is that I'm still afraid this low carb success bubble is going to burst somewhere down the road. On the one hand, I've never been so sure, but can I really keep it up for life?

I know exactly what you're talking about because I've thought the same thing.

As I continued to low-carb, through thick and thin, the thought disappeared and I didn't even notice it. I think we forget how horrible we use to feel before low-carbing. I look at pictures of my former self now and remember how I felt. Out of control sugar eating, aching knees, heart palpitations, pre-diabetic symptoms, high blood pressure, erratic mood swings and really FAT! Do I really wnat to live that life again?

Make low-carbing your "safety net". You can free fall but always choose to land in the net.

Karen