Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#166   ^
Old Mon, Jan-03-05, 14:25
WONJ#3

Plan: 12 steps
Stats: 238/210/145 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 30%

I have done that exact thing so many times. I start to lose weight and half way through or even almost to goal I start down a slippery slope of thinking and eating. I seem to think that I have it under control and can eat like a normal person.

I turn to food for pleasure, companionship and comfort. Food (sugar and high carbs) has been my boyfriend and best friend for years and years.

When I take that first bite and start thinking I'm okay I can handle this one ____ (fill in the blank) I'm in a very dangerous frame of mind. I am 100% addicted to these foods and when I start to eat them I don't want to give them up again. The I'll quit tomorrows start to come into my head and then I proceed to eat everything I can't ever have again as a final farewell. The problem with that is that tomorrow never comes. By then I am usually so addicted that I can't possibly imagine life without these foods again.

It's almost like a heroin addict who has relapsed. If he were to stop right away, the withdrawels will not be too harsh. But if he has the mentality of I'm gonna use as much as I can today then the withdrawels will be even worse, then to counter the withdrawels he does just a lil the next day, then thinks...well I've blown it I'll do as much as I can today and tomorrow I'll start fresh.

Anyway, I have been goven a window of opportunity this last week. I have 6 days of low carbing and as long as I don't pick up the first bite I have a chance. I have also started going to Overeaters Anonymous because I have finally surrendered that I have no control whatsoever and have surrendered completely. I have PCOS and to eat sugar only hurts my condition yet I keep trying to eat "just this one time".

What a great thread!

I am finally working on my insides and the reasons why I ate in the first place.
Sponsored Links
  #167   ^
Old Sat, Apr-02-05, 17:01

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 305/221/180 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 67%

I too am like a Herion Addict when it comes to high carb foods. I sometime describe myself to my husband as an Alcoholic. I really do not think I will ever be able to eat a any high carb foods in moderation. So what is a person to do.
This is such a shamful thing to have to admit, not only to myself, but to everyone that may come alone and read this post.

How do I stop the Self-Sabotage?? Seems like a real simple question to me, but I'm having a hell of a time trying to get my answer.
  #168   ^
Old Sat, Apr-02-05, 23:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 136/129/118 Female 5 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 39%

I never thought of myself as an addict until I sat in on a lecture from a drug counsellor (I'm not a drug counsellor by the way, it was a lecture for my nursing theory class). Anyways, everything that drug users experience from drugsa, I experience from food. Sounds weird but its amazingly true. When I am sad or excited I turn too food. When I have extra time to spare, I eat. When I am not eating, I'm thinking about eating. My cravings are as mad as a cow and at times I perhaps would kill to eat something (not literally). The point is, they have these addiction clinics for substance abusers and gambling alcoholics, but they absolutley don't have any sort of help for food addicts. I think that is a problem these days because we need to get help for this rapidly growing obese nation. I've been on and off this diet now for at leat 1.5 years. Wow, the downfall was my very first cheat.
  #169   ^
Old Sun, Apr-03-05, 07:54

BF:

I have concluded, that to make this my lifestyle, that I will never be able to have a "real" piece of cake, cause I can't stop at one piece. I am not the type of person that can be trusted, much like your alcoholic or drug addicts.

Sometimes even with the forum and all the wonderful people that are on there, this journey can be very lonely.
  #170   ^
Old Sun, Apr-03-05, 10:37

Plan: shangri-la/lowcarb
Stats: 185/173/145 Female 5'4"
BF:

Okay I'll ask what is the Joansville connection?
Pat
  #171   ^
Old Sun, Apr-03-05, 12:28

BF:

Well Pat, I'm Joan, and several low carbers each year end up at mine and my husband's Bob's place, for lots of low carb food and laughs.

This is the third year for this event, the first year we had two people to come. One from Wisconsin, the other person from Illinois. Now last year we had Wisconsin, Illinios, Ohio, and Canada not to mention here in Kentucky. Oh yeah, it was named ''Joans'ville Connection" due to no one would come to a "Louisville Connection"

If you can make it please feel free to show up. Our big get together will fall this time on May 22, which is on a Sunday.

Now that is what Joans'ville is.
  #172   ^
Old Sun, Apr-03-05, 13:53

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 260/242/170 Female 68 inches
BF:too much
Progress: 20%

i was so relieved to find/read this thread. I am been so miserable trying this woe this time around as i have been the QUEEN OF SELF SABOTAGE. I have felt like SUCH A FAILURE?LOSER. Now even tho i HAVE been sticking to induction plan i am continuing to gain(4 lbs so far). As i stated before i have found lc eating to be harder than nonsoking(will be 2 month 4/06). I smoked for 33+ years and on my bday i stopped thats it no more finito. But lc? have had so many times off plan that i wonder about damage done to my metabolism/health. I am going to continue induction tho and water and exercise . Reading the posts in this thread were very thought provoking i will reread them all again as needed.
  #173   ^
Old Mon, Apr-04-05, 07:15

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 223/210/155 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 19%

Hello, I am one of the worst when it comes to self sabotage.
I do great through the week only to give in on the weekends.
I lose 1 to 2 pounds and gain it back by Monday. How do I break this cycle?

Abby
  #174   ^
Old Mon, Apr-04-05, 09:18

BF:

Abby, I think you have hit on something that we would all like to know.
I think one reason we do good through the week is we have a routine, we have more of a set eating time. I know that is how it is here at our house. Also trying to get in 3 meals and 2 snacks after getting a later start for breakfast on the weekend cause me problem. Just know you are not alone in this struggle.
  #175   ^
Old Mon, Apr-04-05, 10:11

BF:
Smile

Joan if I were closer I would take you up on your invitation it sounds like fun.
Pat
  #176   ^
Old Mon, Apr-04-05, 10:34

BF:

I sure am having a hard time sticking to any way-of-eating. I think being 63 and dieting most of my life has something to do with that, I just can't seem to hang in there. I know I have missed my golden shot and have messed up my metabolism so bad I am having a hard time losing.
Oh well same old story hope you all are having a better time of it.
Pat
  #177   ^
Old Tue, Apr-05-05, 08:27

Plan: Atkins~Modified
Stats: 173/173/145 Female 5' 6" and growing!
BF:26.6%/
Progress: 0%

Hi Everyone! Nice thread! I think many can relate to this thread. I am one to self-sabotage every weekend, like most. I do fine during the week, but come the weekend, I have 3 small girls home, my husband ( who drives semi all week), and they want to eat all the wrong foods, and do all the wrong things that seem to interfer with my plan! No excuse, I don't have to fall into it, but I do 8 out of 10 times!
Like most, I just have to fiqure a way to include myself with my family, on the weekends, without having to follow them to my self-sabotage downfalls.
Hopefully, which I doubt, as the weather changes so will their eating habits, and their activities. More outside activities that will not include bad foods and bad choices when they do eat!
I think the easiest way to prevent this from happening is to quit finding ways in our heads to make it all look good. Examples~Ok, I will do this for one day, and if it effects my weight, I will get strict through the week again! (you don't succeed this way, up and down, up and down!). or, One day a week is not going to hurt, everyone else does it! (again this does not work either!).
Or the really good one I use~Feeling sorry for yourself. I can not eat like this everyday, I miss the good stuff, and I have to have it occasionally. Eating like this is hard! (It is hard, and we do all miss the old way of eating, I don't think anyone can honestly say they don't, but we are after a goal, and falling off at anytime is all part of self-sabotage. So, I think we all just have to be stronger, and more committed to losing. If you don't become more committed, no one loses but US! And I don't mean weight!

Last edited by FabByFifty : Tue, Apr-05-05 at 08:32.
  #178   ^
Old Tue, Apr-19-05, 07:49
13.5 pounds to go!

Plan: GF, Mod. Carb
Stats: 375.5/163/160 Female 66"
BF:60/28/24
Progress: 99%

Have you ever had this experience?

Yes.... at least 3 times now. I lose somewhere between 50-80 pounds in about 3-8 months, and then I go on a carb binge that doesn't stop until I've regained all the weight, plus 30.

Have you ever successfully overcome it to move on toward your goal?

Not yet... I'm still working on it. I am trying to do a U-Turn and change that carb-bender into a side trip instead of a destination.

What insights did you gain?

That I can make a decision in the blink of an eye to cheat. I can be in the right frame of mind, losing steadily, and then SMACK, I'm eating cookies.

Do you have suggestions to share with others? Not yet... I'm still in need of insight to my own emotions to understand why I have such an attachment to being 300 pounds!

Karen
  #179   ^
Old Sun, Apr-24-05, 08:57
entering eclipse

Plan: atkins
Stats: 320/300.3/145 Female 165cm
BF:
Progress: 11%

I completely agree! I can't cheat, am terrified of it, because if I do then maybe I won't stop! I've tried and failed (actually quit is more honest) so many times. This time though I am in such a better place, internally...I'm on my own here, and have spent the last two years really digging into me and coming to terms with a lot of crap that just needed to be dealt with. I'm in no way done but at least I know what I'm facing now and I figure I can pretty much deal with anything so long as I know what it is...
The wierd thing is I never EVER was a sweet craver but now, after being on induction for now 4 weeks I don't crave the bread or rice or potatoes but I want sugar SO BAD....I broke down last week and had a piece of chocolate (which I NEVER craved before...I know strange) and I literally had to hold on to the counter because my legs gave way it was so good! What is with that???!!! (not the awesomeness of the chocolate but the suger cravings )
anyways...back to the point.. Food definately is a drug more powerful than any I think because we NEED it to survive and we can't just quit, change lifestyles or move away from the situation to make it easier to change. We still have to go to the supermarket, look at all the food, decide NOT to buy it. We still have to think about food all day; we get hungry and we get bored. We still have birthdays, holidays, babies and funerals....we still get lonely and depressed and scared and we can't always voice these things and food doesn't need conversation.
I've quit smoking (one year next month), and quit other things that seriously friends, while difficult and really irritating, was NOTHING to having to lose weight. And the worst part of it all is that even when you are losing, sometimes, to get to the finish line, seems so far away that you get frustrated and so tired of the struggle...
I read a post though the other day about keeping your hope...the belief that you will make it being one of the most important things and I tell you, it helped me today..to say no to an ice cream that I was DYING for (ice cream addict of 30 years here) because tomorrow is weigh in day and I feel hopeful that I had a good week. Maybe it won't always help but it helped today and that's all I can handle right now is one day at a time...
  #180   ^
Old Sun, Apr-24-05, 10:56

BF:

Trixstar,
this is great that you could say no to ice cream. That is one addiction I don't think I'll ever be able to kick. However I did once and it lasted 5 years, so maybe there is still hope.

Good luck on tomorrow's weight in.

Joan