Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-08, 13:26

Plan: LC, HF, PP
Stats: 214/188.2/140 Female 5 feet, 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Cleveland OH? Northeast OH?

Hi,

I'm in Geauga County and wondered who else on this board is from the cleveland area. It would be great to have a support group, or even a "low carb picnic get together" this summer. I have ~70 pounds to lose, and I'll be 35 in July. Drop me a line!
Chris
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-16-08, 01:37

Plan: atkins
Stats: 295/248/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 32%

hey im from cleveland...i would love to participate in a meet up
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-16-08, 07:34

BF:

Hi there!

I was about to give up on this thread! Did you go see Hillary last night? I didn't but wish I could've... How long have you been on the board? I started back here around 1/28 or so, I was on two years ago and it really helped.

Let's keep this thread going and maybe we'll get some "joiners" whaddaya say? Are you east or west side? I'm an east sider, work at Progressive tho', which brings me half the way downtown during the workdays...
Chris
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-08, 00:39

BF:

hey chris! im new to atkins, but not new to low carb...i lost 40lb b4 i got pregnant. im a 23 y/o west sider and a stay at home mom. i can't believe there are only 2 of us! do you have any children? if i may ask, how old are you? do you workout? i do about 7 days a week...30min cardio and 25min strength training. i look forward to getting to know you
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-08, 00:41

BF:

oh and i almost forgot...I DIDN'T GET TO SEE HILLARY, im soo bummed. can you tell by my blinkie i am a dem haha...i have a hillary blinkie too, but for some reason it won't show up on here
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-08, 06:57

BF:

hey thinkthin,

There must be more of us, we just have to keep this thread on the first page. What other low carb WOEs have you tried besides atkins? How long have you been on this one? That's a TON of exercise you're getting, good for you!!! I work out on the elliptical 3-5 times per week for 20-30 minutes and take a 45 minute ballroom dancing class once per week. I'm married but no kids (I don't count the two meow meows), 34 years old. I didn't see Hillary either but a couple people in my office went. I'm beginning my 4th week on Atkins now...
Chris
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-08, 21:30

BF:

i started dieting a little before the first of the year and weighed 295, but i was doing slim fast. on 1/15/08 i switched to atkins and was weighing 284. you are doing really well with your workouts too! i HAVE to workout daily in order to loose weight unfortanately i really wish it wasn't like this, but i guess it motivates me. oh and you have had amazing results in 3 weeks...you go girl! so what do you eat regularly? i always like getting new ideas
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-08, 07:09

BF:

hey again!

Nice to actually have a conversation with someone on the board! Go to my journal - I've been putting in my daily menus. I have never lost this fast, and I attribute it to super-clean eating and cutting down on drinking. I think the exercise helps with toning and "losing inches," I've always found that I need to exercise to lose weight too, but I wonder if it was more a way to counteract less-than-clean eating and drinking.

You have done an amazing job in 08! 30 pounds already this year???? That totally rocks! I'm thrilled with 2-3 pounds per week, like I said, I never lose that fast. I'm eating a lot of eggs with mayo - I was allergic to eggs for several years, and it seems to have "just cleared up" which I am eternally grateful for. Check out my journal and leave me a post! I feel so alone this time!

So what inspired you to go from slim-fast to lowcarb? I used to do slimfast, "back in the day." I was constantly either nauseated (right after drinking a shake) or starving (within an hour).

What else do you do for fun? What do you do for a living?
Chris
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-08, 17:50

BF:

hey chris! i know it is really nice to get to know another board member...to be honest i feel like i don't "know" anyone here.
i am very pleased with my results so far...i am much heavier than you and i know once i get closer and closer to ONEderland it will slow down quite a bit. i also know i will have some cheat days occasionally so that will slow it down a bit. and 2-3lb *IS* fast girl...way to go!
oh man thankfully that allergy went away...could you imagine doing low carb w/o eggs? i think i would do weight watchers if that was the case LOL.
ahh slimfast...why am i so thankful to leave you in the past? hehe man on that plan i was ALWAYS hungry! seriously, i was DREAMING about food! i thought the shakes were really good (i always drank the creamy chocolate one), but i did get sick of them after a while. i actually did loose on the plan though WITHOUT exercise which was nice. it's just not a plan i can stick to forever..kwim? k off to check you journal...
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-08, 07:24

BF:

Hey!

Thanks for stopping by my journal, really cool! I did lowcarb 2 years ago without eggs and it was difficult and painful (and hard to stick to). I also didn't pay as much attention to cooking good food, this time I'm all over that. Been having some calf cramps the last couple days so I've stayed off the ellptical, but tonight is our ballroom dancing lesson - that's one thing I do in my spare time with the hubby for fun. I'm also working on a novel, here at my job I do data analysis for financial things. We have a pool (came with the house) so this summer I plan to swim a lot for exercise (we don't have air conditioning and it gets HOT out in Chardon in the summer). I also am pretty focused on the diet thing these days. It's *keeping* the focus that's difficult for me.

Hmm, we aren't getting any joiners yet - there HAVE to be more NE OH people on this board... Wouldn't it be great to have a "low carb club" or something like that? That's the one thing i miss from WW - the weekly support meetings. Maybe I'm a wimp, but it always made me feel better. When I stopped going to the meetings, I stopped eating on plan. With low carb I've always "gone it alone."

Have a good one!
Chris
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-08, 00:49

BF:

omg how cool is ballroom dancing...i have ALWAYS wanted to do that! dh would never go for it and since he is always working i doubt we would have time. how long have you been doing it it's a great workout!
are the cramps from the exercise or possibly for a certain nutrient you aren't getting? if you not already i would go on a multivitamin and see if that does the trick.
i wish we had a pool...i guess i could join a gym, but i really like the idea of being in the comfort of my own home, kwim?
well i guess it's just us from ohio...maybe others aren't speaking up? i really wish there was something like ww for low carb...i was just talking about this with my mom the other day. she is doing weight watchers though.
do you work? i can't remember if i asked this yet and was curious
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-08, 07:02

BF:

Good morning thinkthin (although it'll be evening when you read, I'm guessing),

NEW LOW TODAY FOR ME!!!! I'm kinda excited, can you tell? Yep, I am a worker bee in the corporate world. I'm a data analyst at the insurance company with bad commercials, you know the one...

I just love ballroom dancing. I've always loved dancing (shaking my sizeable booty to 80's tunes is my favorite part of weddings). Me and DH (Brian) took lessons before our wedding in 02 and danced waltz to "Time in a Bottle" for our wedding song. Then last Feb. I decided we should start up again, so we've been doing it about a year. It's VERY expensive and slow going since we're learning together, but we're doing alright. Last night he had to work late, impromptu (he's an IT mgr) so I had class alone with our instructor, who's quite the character (23 yo woman, Russian immigrant, maybe 100 pounds soaking wet). I keep telling her I'm having trouble with balancing and she keeps asking why. Finally last night I made a V with my hands (like look at my little feet, everything just gets bigger from there) and I think she finally got it, but she's too nice to say anything. It is great exercise - I'm always dripping when I'm done.

Have you heard of TOPS? It's some sort of non-denominational diet support group. There's actually one that meets in Chardon square, and I was thinking of checking it out. It *is* too bad that we're not getting any joiners here, maybe we just have to be patient.

So what does your DH do? Sounds like he works alot. Do you have any mini weight loss goals that you're currently shooting for? Mine is onderland by 3/15 (need to add that to my sig). We'll see...

Keep posting, it's really nice to have something of a "connection" to someone on this board!
Chris
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Feb-22-08, 00:54

BF:

LOL we seem to get on at VERY different times i've always been a night owl, although dh would prefer me to be in bed sleeping.
you're getting really close to ONEderland...oh man i would LOVE to be in your shoes...ahhh one day.
i was looking at your journal last night and i noticed you are a scaleaholic woman! i was like that too, but i had to break the habit...it was killing me! why don't you weigh in on mondays with me? pretty please i could use a buddy anyway.
my mini goal is ONEderland as well. you know, i can't even remember seeing that on the scale, then again i didn't weigh myself while i gained all this weight. tops...hmm i have never heard of it, but i will google after im finished...i would be interested in one on the west side, do you know if one exists?
dh and i own a sub shop so he is there from 9am-11pm 6 days a week. i never see him!
i hope you don't mind me asking, but do you plan on having any kids? im really trying to get this weight off asap bc we want to ttc our second. it took soooo long with my son so im really hoping it will happen quicker this time. dh wants to ttc now, but honestly i am just too heavy. i would like to try to get in onederland and then ttc.
ok look forward to hearing from ya!
ali
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-08, 07:21

BF:

hey again!

Sorry I didn't get to you yesterday, it was kinda hectic. Yes, I am a scale-a-holic, but I "officially" weigh in on Monday morning, so you're on! We can post our stats here too, and follow our progress together.

No problem - no kids for us (except the four footed, furry variety). We're DINKS instead - I do have a lovely godson and he fills my need for little ones. Hoping to travel, which is hard with kids. Need to actually *do it* though. Have a nice 3 week trip to Europe all planned out - France and Italy - but have to wait to save up the $$$ (and hopefully for the economy to improve and the presidential elections to be over). So next fall (not this one coming) is when we're planning to go.

I got a new low today, and I'm pretty happy about it, although I'm still .8 pounds from my Monday goal. We'll see, nothing I can do about it but eat clean and work out today and tomorrow. I want onederland!!! Last year my low weight was 185 - god, I thought I was so fat, what I'd give to be back there - so surpassing that is my longer-term goal (hopefully by my bday July 9).

Have a great weekend!
Chris
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-08, 23:06

BF:

hey girl! yay you're weighing in with me on mondays! can i skip tomorrow though and weigh next monday? i hosted a baby shower and had the intention to stay on plan, but decided to just have a cheat day instead im not going to beat myself up about it though bc then it's a loose loose situation then...not only did i cheat but im pissed off about it as well. SO i enjoyed my carbs and tomorrow i will be back on plan, but won't be headed to the scale LOL. meat and egg fast for me the next couple days.
yay for getting to a new low...doesn't it feel great?
ok gotta go...dh is bugging me to get off...i'll try to write more tomorrow.