Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 17:49
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach/Atkins
Stats: 209/179.5/140 Female 5'8"
BF:I am afraid to ask
Progress: 43%
Default Tried to stop Lexapro - BIG Mistake

Hey guys, I just wanted to pop in here and say I tried to stop my Lexapro. I read in the Atkins book that most people could avoid anti-depressants (particularly Celexa, which I used to take) and let me tell you I have been in the worst low in the longest time, for about the last 2 weeks. I am talking all the bad thoughts and everything. It sucks, I have been crying all day (got some not good news about my grandma's health) and I haven't been able to stop crying... AND the worst part is I am at work... So when I realized that I wasn't going to be able to stop the sniffles much longer I left and as soon as I got in the car I was hysterical sobbing... So I decided to go to Wal-Mart and refill my prescription the whole time I was there everyone was staring at me and the more they stared the worse I felt and the harder I was crying... it was horrible. It got to the point I was gasping/hiccuping for air. I hate crying in front of my hubby muchless strangers. So I wanted to come on here and tell ANYONE that was considering going off their meds to PLEASE talk to you doctor first... This was probably the worst decision I have ever made in regards to my mental health. and yes I have lost 30#'s on the LC WOL and Yes I look better than I have in a long time, but what good is that if I loose control of my emotions and do something stupid? So I started my Lexapro again about 3 hours ago and implore anyone thinking of doing what I did to NOT do it! it's not worth it... I would rather loose my weight extremely slow than to hurt myself and devistate my family. I just wanted to share and get that off my chest, you don't have to reply or anything... Just think about it.

~Tiffany
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 18:25
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

Oh hon, I'm so sorry that happened to you! And you made the right decision to go directly back on the meds. Thanks for underlining that people should never stop these kinds of drugs without being under a doctor's supervision. I hope you are ok now.

pS: I'm taking Lexapro too, and once tried to stop a different antidepressant "cold turkey." It almost drove me insane. I'm sorry you had to go through that.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 18:27

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%

((((((((((hugs)))))))))
Pene
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 18:31
upback

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Tiffany

My heart goes out to you.......

I just started myself taking Prozac to help with my feelings of being so emotional and sad, and to help me want to do more with myself. I fought with myself thinking it might stop weightloss, but actualy it has stopped me from craving food so much, which is good. I hope you will feel better now that you got back on your Lexapro, you can't always believe everything you read about medicine slowing or stalling weight loss, I think it's more of the frankenfoods (Atkins bars, ice cream, etc.) that do more stalling than medicines do. If we can't feel good in our minds, how are we to survive?

I hope you are feeling better!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 19:25
Bigger than ever :(

Plan: Keto
Stats: 464/280/200 Male 67.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default What is your dosage?

I've suffered from depression for a long, long time. I was in the psych ward in January after I tried to commit suicide and the psychiatrist started me on Lexapro. I started at 10 mg, then 20 mg, now she upped it to 30 mg. The crazy thing is, I don't feel any different. I hate taking meds when I don't feel like they're doing anything. But I'll keep on it and hope for the best.

Chris
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-01-04, 07:55
Registered Member

I am on the 20mg dose, I was off of it for about a month after taking meds for over a year and a half and I could feel myself everyday loosing control just a little bit more. Then when I found out my grandmother was ill, it was all it took to set me off again... Thanks for all the kind words everyone I really appreciate the support. When I first started taking my meds I didn't feel any different, but I noticed that suddenly my desk at work was neater and I took more time doing my hair & make-up, I could look at myself in the mirror and not think I was the fattest, ugliest person in the world.... but I didn't feel different if that makes sense... I can definately say that I am a much happier, less stressed, less high strung and less emotional person on my meds and I can't wait till they kick in again, I am tired of being so sad.

~Tiffany
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 12:03

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Taper off, too

Should you try it again, make sure you taper off, not cold turkey. Most of these meds have REALLY bad effects when you stop them suddenly.

It's hard when you take a med that, when it works, makes you feel like you don't need it and then you forget that it's the med that got you in that condition.

Don't know how long you've been doing Atkins but you might want to aim at a year, at least, before making other changes in your chemistry. I don't have my Atkins books with me, but I rather recall thinking, "He's a cardiologist / diet doctor, not a shrink..." when reading some of what he said. He also seemed to seriously not understand major food addiction, so I stick to Atkins for LC and my other professionals for advice on different topics.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 12:26

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

I agree with Cs Carver. Taper off gradually. After awhile of taking something like that, the body gets used to it, depends upon it, and without it you will go through a lot of unpleasant withdrawal symptons. It's not unique to anti-depressants. Works the same way with BC pills (as I've found out myself), caffeine, cigrarettes, and many other drugs.

Good luck,

Serri
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 12:28
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_carver
I rather recall thinking, "He's a cardiologist / diet doctor, not a shrink..."

That truely makes sense to me... I am feeling a lot more stable now... And I really appreciate everyone's support, probably more than you know...

~Tiffany
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 14:13
Registered Member

Plan: Insulin resistant Atkins
Stats: 202/183.5/140 Female 66 INCHES
BF:
Progress: 30%

Yeah, I tried to wean myself off of the Prozac lately. I did taper off over a couple of months, and quit over a week ago, but today my eyes are leaking at work, hate that leaking! Makes me so angry so, of course, they leak more!! I fought with my husband all evening and next morning, and couldn't rebound from it. The arguing wasn't brought on by the lack of meds (long story grrr) but the crying jag surely must be.

I have to admit that the advice is sound, give it a year, lose a bit more slowly, keep your wits about you.

BBQman--if you are still having the awful downs even on your meds consider trying something else, but remember you're not really supposed to feel wildly better, first it should take the edge off your depression and then slowly help you to level out. If you're feeling like your highs and lows are 'clipped' or that you are still skimming the bottom look into something else. Life REALLY is worth living, but sometimes we do need a little help.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 13:44

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 240/198/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Tiff:

I don't mean to pry, but what are you taking Lexapro for? If it's depression, you'll likely need to stay on it, but on the offchance it's bipolar, ask your doctor to look into a medicine called Topomax. Topomax is actually an antiseizure medicine, but it's been found to be effective for the depression side of bipolar. I tell you, it's worked WONDERS for me, within the span of two or three weeks. The doctor finally was able to wean me off my own Lexapro because the Topomax just did everything the Lexapro did and then some (minus the side effects).
  #12   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 15:41

Plan: SBD
Stats: 275/228/165 Female 5 ft6 in
BF:

God love you, Tiffany C!
I had the same experience in the past with Zoloft, and I thought I was losing my mind for sure. I also cried buckets and had visual disturbances, ie; the world literally was slanted to one side. Thanks to a discerning doc, I got better.
My opinion is that the Docs know so very little about what constitutes a 'normal' nervous system, and they know even less about what causes or helps a depression. It is called practicing medicine for that reason.
Keep doing what works. You're so brave to share this experience with us. I think you're gonna be fine1
Carmen
  #13   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 20:00

Plan: Atkins/induction
Stats: 329/293.5/200 Female 5 feet 2.5inches
BF:
Progress: 28%

I have to take Welbutrin with my Lwexapro inorder to keep the carb cravings away but the two together works wonders. You know Lexapro is one of the seritonan uptake drugs they cause crb cravings so the Welbutrin conter acts the effects but still fights the depression.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 12:43
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pd Rydia
Tiff:

I don't mean to pry, but what are you taking Lexapro for? If it's depression, you'll likely need to stay on it, but on the offchance it's bipolar, ask your doctor to look into a medicine called Topomax. Topomax is actually an antiseizure medicine, but it's been found to be effective for the depression side of bipolar. I tell you, it's worked WONDERS for me, within the span of two or three weeks. The doctor finally was able to wean me off my own Lexapro because the Topomax just did everything the Lexapro did and then some (minus the side effects).

I am taking it for depression, since I have gone back on it I haven't had anymore episodes... but I have fallen off the Low Carb wagon with a resounding boom! I am going to wait until after the holiday before starting again... but on the other hand, my grandmother who i hadn't seen in like 2 years came to TN and she couldn't believe how great I looked and I was telling her all about low carb and how much healthier it made me feel and how i was never hungry and it was awesome... she is going to try it for a couple months... She is a bit leery of LC WOE it because she was raised in China and eats rice with everything!

Thanks again to everyone who has offered me advice and support!

~Tiffany
  #15   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 00:13

Plan: protein power plan
Stats: 386/342/145 Female 5f 7in
BF:Way/to/fat
Progress: 18%

Tiffany
I am so sorry for you I was taking paxil for depression and quit cold turkey because my husband lost his job and insurance so we had no money for my meds I thought I was going nuts literally and I was binging and purging all day every day I had to go and get state help something I didnt want to do I had to go see a new dr another thing I didnt want to do and he put me on lexapro I was on paxil 40 mg and he put me on 10 lexapro I thought it wasnt working but ive looked back and saw how I am now and im so much better than I was on the paxil even on a lower dosage it is stronger than alot of drugs on the market but now I feel like maybe I can be weened off this just take your time talk to your dr and if your a god fearing woman pray you cannot believe everything you read about antidepressants lexapro has taken away my carb cravings and my need to binge and purge (this i have done for 25 years)nothing has been able to stop that in me except the lexapro some people tell me I might be on the meds for the rest of my life but now that Im not binging and purging I just might now have a life worth living so dont be in a hurry to get off the antidepressants a drug that helps you get through life healthy in mind and body is not all bad in my book ........Aprilellen