Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-10, 12:44
Registered Member

Plan: VLC/Meat & Egg
Stats: 160/148/140 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 60%

Hello ZCrs! I'm following a loose VLC plan of my own.

I have a question for those who have lost 10-20 pounds of weight on ZC.

Were you left with any sagging skin? I'm especially curious about those who did not exercise much during the loss.

Do you think age and elasticity of skin will affect this?

Thanks for your answers and all the information, love these threads!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-10, 12:46

Plan: dirty carnivore..yeah
Stats: 203/170/160 Female 70inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

Ah right, I know what you mean...they just call them mini-breasts here. Ooh you have Aldi there too. We have Aldi, but there's not one local to me. But we do have a Lidl up the road, and that's pretty much the same. I get big trays of chicken thighs there.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-10, 12:52

Plan: Zero Carbs since 01/09
Stats: 220/134.8/135 Female 63inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I have some loose skin, but then again I have been over 220lbs and back down to 160 three times in the last 12 years.

I had more loose/saggy skin when I was 165lbs after losing 45lbs on Atkins before, than I do now at 135, having lost the last 40lbs with ZC.

I am almost 45 and do not exercise... but I am definitely not ready for a bikini, but I DO have prior weight losses to compare myself to now. I have not been this thin in over 25 years...

It could be genetics, but seeing how I look naked now, compared to before, tells me that it has to be somewhat related to diet as well.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-10, 13:04

Plan: VLC
Stats: 432/363/250 Male 6'3"
BF:??%/39.5%/??%
Progress: 38%

I'm 25 (male) and have lost about 72 pounds on ZC in the last 6 months. Prior to that, I had lost 22 pounds on a low calorie diet in 4 months. Still have another 90 or so pounds to lose.

Anyway, no real loose skin here, but I do have stretch marks on my stomach and upper arms.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-10, 13:42

Plan: Atkins, PP
Stats: 180/144.6/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 79%

ate 6 small chicken thighs with skin
half and half with coffee

I kinda feel guilty for all that chicken
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-10, 14:15

Plan: zero carb
Stats: 168/110/115 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 109%

My boobs were a mess for years. I even met with a plastic surgeon to get them done, but I chickened out. Thankfully!
After many years of VLC, then a few more years of zc they got firm again! Even my husband noticed and he notices nothing!
My skin everywhere got firmer. My tummy still has some loose skin, but whatever, I had a baby.
So, give your body time and lots of it!
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-10, 15:13

Plan: Carnivorous
Stats: 183/131/138 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 116%

About eating out, Suzanne's right, you get used to asking for what you need, and it is no shame to do so.

Many places have a bunless burger on the menu now, but do ask to make sure there aren't fillers. I always ask for nothing else on the plate, but if it makes you more comfortable you can just leave the sides on your plate.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-10, 15:24

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satya13
Is Szechuan pepper like crushed red pepper or something?

I use it as a substitute for crushed red pepper because it is not a nightshade, but it has a different flavor. It tastes a little lemony, and its hotness is more like black pepper than chili peppers.

One tip I learned belatedly: The seeds of Szechuan pepper are not good to eat - they're bitter and gritty. The part you're supposed to eat is the husk. It's a bit of a pain to separate them, but I got lucky when I bought a big bag of them because it only had the husks in it.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-10, 15:48

Plan: Dirty Carnivore
Stats: 150/128/128 Female 63"
BF:21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
I use it as a substitute for crushed red pepper because it is not a nightshade, but it has a different flavor. It tastes a little lemony, and its hotness is more like black pepper than chili peppers.

One tip I learned belatedly: The seeds of Szechuan pepper are not good to eat - they're bitter and gritty. The part you're supposed to eat is the husk. It's a bit of a pain to separate them, but I got lucky when I bought a big bag of them because it only had the husks in it.

Thanks, Mike. Where do you find this?
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-10, 15:53
Independent Thinker

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 198/186/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Usually if the restaurant has a gluten-free menu which features a burger, there are no bread crumbs or other fillers in the ground meat. I've been okay with burgers at Five Guys, and Ted's Montana Grill chains.

I am not zero carb, but I am keeping my carbs very low right now.

I have several questions for the zero carbers.

1. Do you eat organic or grass-fed meat, and free-roam chickens, and wild-caught fish, or do you buy your meat/fish in a regular grocery store.

2. If you eat conventional meat, are you concerned about getting an unbalance of Omega 6 to Omega 3 Fatty Acids from eating feedlot beef/confined chickens/eggs/farmed fish, which are totally different from animals raised before 1930? Do you take Omega 3 Fish Oil Supplements? Other supplements?

3. How is your general health? Is it fine, or do you have any ongoing issues? I'm not interested into prying for details into anyone's health problems, just a general question.

I'm a bit of a health nut. I have no pro or con opinion on doing zero carbs. Whatever people choose to do is absolutely fine with me. I wanted to hear from those who have been doing it for a while regarding their general health. I am eating very low carb right now. I am dealing with some health issues. I am trying to be very careful to not do anything to makes things worse.

(I've read a lot about zero carb in some of the old threads here, and I've also read some stuff on another forum.)

Thanks!
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-10, 16:05

BF:

I have no health issues or concerns after over a year of ZC.

I was not this way 13 months ago, I could barely get out of bed in the morning.

I buy my meat at the grocery store, I used to worry about all that O3 vs O6 stuff but I do not any more.

I take no supplements.

I have not felt this alive or as healthy as I do now... I have zero concerns about my ZC lifestyle
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-10, 16:17

Plan: zero carb
Stats: 168/110/115 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 109%

I have had health problems on zc, but I do not believe they were related to zc. I recently had hair loss, but I THINK (only a guess, mind you) that is was because this past summer I had a lot of stress and lost a lot of weight quickly. I think I got to thin and my hypothyroid was effected, thus the hair loss. But, it has stopped.
I started taking suppliments during the hair loss to see if oit helped, so I take them now. Not sure they do a darn thing.
I eat grocery strore meat.
My recent blood work showed all good numbers, except low estrogen, but it has always been low.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-10, 16:40

BF:

Let me answer for my hubby too... (you can see his transformation in my link as well)

he had almost 5 years of low carb under his belt when he decided to ditch all the carbs and go ZC with me a year ago.

In a very short time he had massive health improvements:

*lifelong constipation issues 100% GONE
*concentration issues 100% GONE
*sleep issues, teeth grinding, nightmares, night sweats GONE
*lack of energy and motivation GONE
*dry skin, itchy anus and hair loss GONE (we even swear there is some growing back, he has been losing his hair since he was 16)
*losing the last 20lbs he never managed to lose on Atkins as well as keeping his muscle mass that did not happen when he was on Atkins.

None of those issues were helped on low carb, but when he went to ZC they disappeared almost over night.

My brother is ZC right now, after years of thyroid issues, depression, anger issues, skin issues (psoriases), cataracts (he had surgery 2 years ago, he is only 38), gluten issues, chronic pain (anklyosing spondylitis). he was tested for lupus and celiac. His Doctor is stumped... He was not obese, he is 5'11" and started at the end of Dec at 205 and was down to 185 by the end of February. He is not 100% well just yet, in fact he still has a long way to go... but he knows now that eating this way is the only way for him to live any kind of life worth living. Just being able to get out of bed in the morning without pain is a gift for him.
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-10, 18:19
Independent Thinker

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 198/186/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Thanks, good info. I'm having inflammation issues, and I'm keeping my carbs very low for now. I'm not sure when/if I'll go higher, but I'm gathering information and keeping all of my options open.
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-10, 18:27

Plan: Atkins, PP
Stats: 180/144.6/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 79%

for VLC what would you prefer to eat:
salad veggies or dairy?