Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-25-17, 08:15
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default Nutrient biomarker patterns and long-term risk of dementia in older adults

Quote:
Abstract

Introduction

Several nutrients may predict dementia risk. We characterized nutrient biomarker patterns, which integrate the complexity of nutrient exposure and biodisponibility associated with long-term risk of dementia in a large cohort of older persons, the Three-City study.

Methods

We included 666 nondemented participants with plasma measurements of 22 fat-soluble nutrients at baseline, who were followed up for 12 years for dementia.

Results

A “deleterious” pattern combining lower blood status in vitamin D, carotenoids, and polyunsaturated fats and higher saturated fats was strongly associated with a higher risk of dementia. Compared with individuals in the first quintile of the pattern score, participants in the highest quintile of score had an approximately fourfold increased risk of dementia (hazard ratio = 4.53 [95% confidence interval 1.99, 10.32], P for trend <.001) in multivariate models.

Discussion

A blood pattern reflecting lower status in several nutrients among nondemented individuals appeared strongly associated with the long-term risk of dementia in this cohort.

http://aanddjournal.net/article/S15...0086-9/fulltext
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-25-17, 08:32

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Translation, please?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-25-17, 08:51
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
Translation, please?

The people who had low vitamin D, carotenoids, and PUFA but high saturated fat in the blood got the most demented.

We know that low carb increases blood PUFA and decreases blood saturated fat, so this should be good news.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-25-17, 11:03

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I wonder if there is a clear difference in people living in sunny areas v people living in less sunny places?
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-25-17, 12:32

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
Translation, please?

Biodisponibility turns out to be bioavailability in french, if that's what you were wondering about.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-25-17, 19:45

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawNut
The people who had low vitamin D, carotenoids, and PUFA but high saturated fat in the blood got the most demented.
We know that low carb increases blood PUFA and decreases blood saturated fat, so this should be good news.
Of course the media and Ornish types will pick up on the high saturated fat in the blood and say don't eat animal fat.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-25-17, 20:28

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Which is unfortunate for those who follow their high carb plant eating styles because based on what RawNut said, low poly and high saturated fat in the blood is essentially a marker for eating high carbohydrate. Concerning sunny versus less sunny areas I'm not sure there would be a difference because so many people have erroneously been told by doctors to fear the sun, douse themselves in vitamin D blocking sunscreens (sun's UVB radiation gives us the vitamin D), to stay indoors during the middle time of day, the only time of day when UVB is available. All in the name of supposedly avoiding skin cancer while ironically increasing risk of more potentially lethal internal cancers due to the resulting vitamin D deficiency. Plus I read someplace that the vitamin D recommendations may be off by something like ten-fold due to a supposed mathematical calculation error. If so that would make current recommendations about ten times lower than people might actually need. As one of the findings of this study, vitamin D deficiency: not good.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-26-17, 08:54

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I go by the fact that for a millenia or so, we ran around basically naked under a tropical sun. When we moved closer to the poles, we had to eat lots of cod liver oil and other natural sources of D, and also got paler so we could still manufacture it despite being covered in clothing... Germans and Scandinavians became nudists.

On the advice of a knowledgeable friend, I have switched to topical D with magnesium; seems to work better, at least at the moment when I am dealing with a low point of my health journey.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-26-17, 08:55

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Carotenoids are plant pigments. I do a lot of berries and tomato sauce; seems to get along with me and there's lot of pigment there.