Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-02, 15:19

Plan: Syndrome X
Stats: 254/218/200 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Resetting Metabolism

I've been stalled for about 5 weeks...I know a lot of people will debate whaether it's really a stall or not...but I'm pretty convinced it is...and I'm pretty convinced it's a case of my metabolism dropping. How do you reset your metabolism? Does anyone have experience with this?

Based on my body weight of 220 and the 10X I need to get 2200/day. I'm generally right around there or a little under. I also run 4mi 3x per week, which would bring the calorie deficit up even more. One in addition to the fact that the scale AND my measurements have stopped moving, my runs have gotten signiificantly more sluggish since I stopped losing.

My best ideas for reset:

+ Up the calories for a week or two
OR
+ Add back more carbs
OR
+ Switch to a CKD

I'm partial to CKD, as it improve my running even if it didn't get the scales moving...this isn't a vanity thing...losing the next 10-20 is important in continuing injury-free running...until then, I spend an hour a day with ice packs...

Thoughts/Input?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-02, 08:48

Plan: PP TKD CKD
Stats: 265/220/175
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hi,
After years of bad diets I have a similar problem. I've trained my metab to drop like a stone by calorie restrictive diets. My solution is to keep going and not get discouraged. I've stopped weighing and measuring frequently, only doing it every couple of weeks.
Prior to LC I was very partial to cardio but have now added in weight training 3x per week as my focus. Increasing muscle mass can help boost the metabolism.
You could also mix up the cardio with cycling, for example, to surprise your body with a new routine.
I have to watch out for over-training as it will cause one to hold water. If you have inflammation in your body (you mentioned knees) that can also contribute to water retention. Water is heavy!
Check out the threads on thermogenics and CLA.
I know what you mean about bonking during a run. Same thing happens during lifting. I just go slower, get in the reps. Perhaps going longer and slower during your runs would help.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-02, 09:31
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

bdeely... Do you want to lose weight so you can run, or run so you can lose weight? It sounds as though you run because it is just the activity you love to do....is that right?

It just seems that the more I read about the subject of weight loss and exercise (i am NO expert, just what I've gleaned from a few books) that resistance training and MODERATE cardio are recommended. I hear so often of people stalling when they do intense cardio several times a week. I know when I stopped BFL(because of a back injury) I immediately lost 6 lbs in 4 weeks....before that I had lost none in 7 weeks.

TrainerDan is a big believer in more cardio I think (and he's CKD).... have you asked your question in the General Exercise forum?
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-02, 09:39

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 185/173/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Teri...if what you are saying is true, then I have my answer. Started intence cardion about 6 weeks ego. Gained 5 lbs and stalled. So....I am 5 pounds up and not loosing at all....even though I am working out and not cheating. So.....what is the deal? Should I stop cardio and see what happens? And if I do, for how long?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-02, 10:38
Starting Over!

Tanya.... you are asking the wrong person. But I don't know if anyone has THE answer for you. I'm just reporting back what I've heard around the board and through my reading. The weight gain you've had is probably water needed for muscle recovery (not fat) and maybe that's all we lose when the cardio is toned down...who knows.

When I get back to exercising however, I'm going with moderate cardio and moderate weight lifting just for improved health and a little boost for my metabolism. I've given up on having the body of a 20 year old.... it ain't gonna happen.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-02, 13:49

BF:

I do love running...

I've been running during my entire LC ride down the scale, but about a 6 weeks ago my weight loss progress came to a halt. Definitely a stall. Coincidently, 2 weeks into the stall I stopped running for 2 weeks...which didn't change anything. Then I restarted running 2 weeks ago...amazingly, no change with that either. It just seems to me my body had slowed my metabolism down in order to stop releasing stored body fat. That's why I think I need a reset of some kind to get my body out of "starvation mode".

I'll keep trying things and y'all know if I crack this mystery.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-02, 19:55

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by TeriDoodle
I hear so often of people stalling when they do intense cardio several times a week

If you're going to do 'intense' cardio - or interval training - you need to 'eat for it' - increased protein, adequate rest and sleep and good overal nutrition are vital. HIIT is anaerobic and can be muscle wasting - but it doesnt have to be.

bdeeley, how long have you been exercising like this? If it's been longer than 3 or 4 months you're overdue for a 'time out' or a rest week. You may very well be the victim of overtraining (or more accurately under recovering).

Nat
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-20-02, 01:38

BF:

Thanks for the info Nat...

About 2 weeks into the stall I took a two week break from running and then went 2 weeks back on. Was really got me thinking about the need to reset metablosim was that there was no change (gain or loss) during either the off weeks or the on weeks. Not running didn't make a difference...and going back didn't either.

After looking into this a bit and decided to try CKD beginning last weekend. I gained about 7lbs. on the "carb up" (from what I understand 7-9lbs is pretty normal) and the first workout on "carb fuel" was pretty awesome. I had no problem switching back to LC Sunday and the 7lbs. is already gone. We'll see for sure Friday, but I think this may have also done the trick on resetting my metabolism. I don't plan on doing CKD for too long (4 weeks maybe)...also, once I reach goal weight I may only use for pre-marathon training.

I definitely welcome input...

Brian
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-20-02, 07:49

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Brian, the CKD is definitely a good way of mixing things up. A lot of members have had great results using the mix of LC and the carb up to keep the body guessing and losing.

Best of luck - and keep us posted!
Nat
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-04-02, 11:58

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Did you read Nat's thread over at

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=59281

seems very pertinent to the discussion here
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Sep-07-02, 00:31

Plan: CKD/Bodyopus
Stats: 290/250/220
BF:(265)34%/29%/15%
Progress: 57%

haha Nat, I was gonna pop in and make an uneducated guess about the stall and overtraining haha, thanks for beating me to it (not the uneducated part)

Its hard to tell, after 3 weeks of CKD I had to take a break lifting and doing cardio cause of my back, I hurt it something good. Anyways when I came back I, like an ass, thought "well I had a week off so F this I am goin all out. I did 40 minutes of cardio in the AM and 20 more at night. My calories bounced around 2000 but my maintence is supposed to be 2500+. Needless to say I stalled, just for that one week, my weight did no fluctuate, it hit 265 and stayed there, I was at 250 prior to the break. 2 weeks ago was when I started again. Last week I was still 265-262 and my waist was still 47-48". this week, suspecting the heavy cream was stalling me AND my hour a day cardio was makeing my actual maintenece calories something around 800 a day. If 405 calories are burned doing steps for 20 minutes, then 1600 is what I was burning, and I was only wating 2300 or so.

This past week I cut the heavy cream and have been alternating HIIT on weight days and 20-30 cardio on off days. back down to 255 and 46 inches, almost right where I left off.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 10:09

Plan: atkins
Stats: 206.5/169.0/145 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 61%

What is CKD? I am newbie and not sure what it is!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 10:40
Starting Over!

CKD stands for Cycling Ketogenic Diet, and was developed by Lyle McDonald. It's a method of low-carbing for body builders (or anyone who works out very frequently) that allows you to "carb up" on weekends to have glycogen available for your muscles (training) during the week. It helps these folks to maintain their muscle while losing fat.

There's a CKD/Bodyopus subforum under the General Exercise forum. Lots of info there.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 17:20

Plan: CKD/Bodyopus
Stats: 290/250/220
BF:(265)34%/29%/15%
Progress: 57%

Dan Duchaine was the first CKD bodyOpus prophet, Lyle took ti and ran. Dan was gungho and lyle took it down a notch and made it less gimmicky. Its based on a diet thought up by another guy hahaha...I forget
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 21:02
Starting Over!

Oh, I didn't know that!....... I STILL learn at least one new thing a day here! I guess I always will!