Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Sat, Jul-23-11, 04:26

Plan: just low carb high protei
Stats: 462/204/190 Male 6ft 2
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryphtyr
I upped my fat intake to 70% of my total calorie intake several days ago as a result of this thread. My carbs are below 5%. My total calories are around 1800 per day. I've been dropping weight like crazy since I did this. I'm now at the low end of the plateau I've been stuck on for months. Hopefully I can finally break it. I've also had the energy to start working out again. All that added to the fact that I drink 1.5+ gal of water per day will hopefully spell success. I'll post again in the next week with an update.

...& good luck with the deer hunting.

I am sitting about 1300 to 1500 cals a day if that. Think I should go higher ? I know 1800 is still well under what you would need a day to just maintain

Good results. How much did u have to loose when u got the stall ??
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Sat, Jul-23-11, 16:16

Plan: my own
Stats: 267/213/170 Male 70"
BF:
Progress:

I started at 267 pounds. I dieted the traditional way & got down to 225 & stalled out in april. I've been making adjustments since then & recently decided to give the low carb thing a try. I'm periodically shifting back & forth between deep ketosis & carb cycling & am down to 212 pounds currently. My initial goal is to get down to 8% body fat which should put me between 170 & 175 pounds. At that point, I'll begin serious body building. I want to get up to 215 pounds at 8% bf eventualy. I'll have to increase the carbs to accomplish that but for the moment I'm only focused on fat loss. On the traditional diet, my sweet spot was around 1500 cal per day, so I adjusted that to compensate for the 300 cal metabolic advantage with LC. So far its working well. I'll make adjustments as I go.

Edit: I work an active job & live a fairly active lifestyle. I know from tinkering with calories over time that my personal maintenance level is 2500 to 2800 cal per day, so the 1800 gives me a significant deficit. As far as the earlier question about upping from 1500, everybody's different. For reference, I'm 5'10" tall with a medium-large frame. According to the BMI charts, my ideal weight is 140ish to 160ish pounds, but for my frame, that wouldn't be healthy. Hopefully I answered some questions.

Last edited by dryphtyr : Sat, Jul-23-11 at 16:24. Reason: Additional info
  #123   ^
Old Sun, Jul-24-11, 13:44

Plan: just low carb high protei
Stats: 462/204/190 Male 6ft 2
BF:
Progress:

i eat about 1500 a day if that - could i maybe leaving too big a deficit - on gym days i burn off a extra 600 cals which would increase my deficite so maybe increase calorie intake?

plus i do 12 hour driving shifts which must bure off a few as well lol

i am getting moaned at alot just now. mum worries i am not eating enough. tried telling her but she wont listen
  #124   ^
Old Sun, Jul-24-11, 15:45

Plan: my own
Stats: 267/213/170 Male 70"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_gould
i eat about 1500 a day if that - could i maybe leaving too big a deficit - on gym days i burn off a extra 600 cals which would increase my deficite so maybe increase calorie intake?

plus i do 12 hour driving shifts which must bure off a few as well lol

i am getting moaned at alot just now. mum worries i am not eating enough. tried telling her but she wont listen

In my completely non-expert opinion, if you're losing weight & not going hungry, stick with what's working. If you're not losing, make small changes. I definitely wouldn't drop the calories from there.
You might try a calorie spike once per week if you're on a plateau as well. (One day of double your maintenance intake) That can sometimes kick start the weight loss. I generally give myself a "free" day once per week or two. I carb up on those days to kick myself out of ketosis. Its my pizza, ice cream & chinese buffet day. Some of my spikes are north of 7000 calories. It causes a temporary weight gain, but it comes right back off & more afterwards.
2300 calories per day should give me 1.5 pounds of loss per week, but in reality, it doesn't work that way for me. I'm skipping my spike this week since the weight is coming off so quickly & my birthday's this weekend, so I'll be taking the weekend off.
  #125   ^
Old Thu, Nov-17-11, 13:28

Plan: paleo
Stats: 190/185/160 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress:

Hi all

How do you workout percentages. Many things have a mix of protein/fat as in cheese, milk etc.

Anyone here tried chia seeds in their diet are they low carb

Regards
Ubetido

Last edited by ubetido : Thu, Nov-17-11 at 13:35.
  #126   ^
Old Sat, Feb-11-12, 20:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 279.2/234/140 Female 5'2''
BF:decreasing
Progress: 32%

I am very interested in this thread. Anyone here have anything new to report? I've not seen a scale change since before the holidays. I have experienced a slight decrease in measurements. I would like to get things moving along again, as I still have 70 lbs to lose. I'm trying to keep my fat at 65%, but as it was recently pointed out to me, I was eating too uch dairy to do this. Also, my lc veggies had dropped off a bit, too. So my plan is to continue 65% fat, 25% protein, and 10% carbs, with only a small amount of dairy. The dairy did really sneak in there from the sweet tooth I developed from the holidays. So tomorrow, I will track this closely and cut the dairy. Anyone see anything I missed here or have any other advice? Thanks. I find this thread very helpful and hopeful!!

Donna
  #127   ^
Old Sat, Feb-11-12, 20:59

Stats: 278/215/180 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 64%

TYSM for bumping this thread, Donna. I weigh in on Tuesday and I've been thinking about doing a protein only day, little fat no carbs, on Monday to make sure to get a good number. This thread has convinced me to just continue eating normally and be patient.
  #128   ^
Old Sun, Feb-12-12, 03:30

Plan: mindful/ketogenic-Paleo
Stats: 165/111.8/110 Female 164cm
BF:38%/21%/18%
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnahill8
I'm trying to keep my fat at 65%, but as it was recently pointed out to me, I was eating too uch dairy to do this. Also, my lc veggies had dropped off a bit, too. So my plan is to continue 65% fat, 25% protein, and 10% carbs, with only a small amount of dairy.

Hi Donna,

Everyone is different with diary. And I would add that everyone is different at different times. What I mean is that if you've been relying on diary, your body could become accustomed to it. I do find with me that my body is very lazy and just accepts food too easily. lol So a few changes after a couple of weeks or a month helps keep my body on it's toes. A bit like calorie-cycling. Our bodies just adjust really well.

So anyway, yes, cutting back on diary (perhaps even just for a while) sounds like a great idea.
I get most of my fat calories from olive oil, then butter. If you look back up at the start of the thread you will find lists of best fat sources. Animal fat is best but I dislike eating it so get a little in cooked stews or similar.
  #129   ^
Old Sun, Feb-12-12, 08:13

Plan: Mixture .. mainly Paleo
Stats: 168/163/120 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

Good to see this thread. Having been on a long, long stall with whatever I do. Calories really low and weight sticking like glue. I will take a look at more fat, though not a big fat fan or even large amounts of protein.

Will up fat and see what happens.

Thanks.
  #130   ^
Old Sun, Feb-12-12, 08:17

Thanks Nica! I assume your stats are correct and you are doing a great job maintaining. I steer away from olive oil unless I'm stir frying chicken breast, which need fat. I'm not fond of olive oil in my salads. It's just tasteless to me. I do like some animal fat, so I will go that direction. I have no problem eating the skin off meat and a little fat from the edges of a steak or pork chop. Butter is good for me also on my veggies and eggs.

Thanks! I hope this works for me soon. Getting discouraged, but I'm not even sure if it really a stall after reading the sticky on stalls. I did measure smaller, if I measured correctly. Clothes haven't been a great indicator at this point. I don't see any significant differences there. I am willing to work and try to tweak things until I get results.

Donna
  #131   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-12, 04:05

Plan: mindful/ketogenic-Paleo
Stats: 165/111.8/110 Female 164cm
BF:38%/21%/18%
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnahill8
I'm not fond of olive oil in my salads. It's just tasteless to me.

Getting discouraged, but I'm not even sure if it really a stall after reading the sticky on stalls. I did measure smaller, if I measured correctly.

You've done amazingly well so far! Always remember your progress. Losing weight is so so difficult for most of us. Any change is good, a change like yours is inspiring!
And you're right, you're probably not even stalled. Measurements are important.

Good olive oil is never tasteless! Experiment with different brands perhaps. I also like the weaker tasting ones just to sneak in fat. Like in a mayo mix for a sandwich, or salad if super low-carbing. My easy go to, is tuna, lots of mayo, herbs, tablespoon of olive oil. Tons of fat, tasty, filling.
The reason i choose olive oil is because it's the healthiest.
If you enjoy meat fat, that makes things easier. But do watch that fat is a lot of calories and it's easy to eat too many.

I carb indulged over the holidays. Can't believe (well, I can) how quickly it comes back with carbs!! Scary stuff. Unlike years ago, I don't feel bad about myself. I know that this is simply how my body is, and that LCing will get me right back on track.
  #132   ^
Old Sun, Feb-19-12, 08:22

Okay, I increased my fat last week, was sick for 2 days with a virus, then 4 more days of increased fat and today I'm 208. This is a new low. Yesterday I was 211-212. I hope this is an obvious good sign.

Donna
  #133   ^
Old Thu, Apr-26-12, 08:33

Stats: 185/165.2/125 Female 5'2"
BF:48%/38%/25%
Progress: 33%

I am so glad to have found this thread (looking for something else) - I've been on a plateau now for nearly six weeks, and it's quite frustrating. Now that I have an idea of what might work I'm going to give that a try, and hope that it works out Thank you to everyone whose stories here have made me realise that there is hope!
  #134   ^
Old Thu, May-03-12, 13:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, low carb
Stats: 160/145/123 Female 170cm
BF:
Progress: 41%

Has anyone notice a strange numbness in head when upping the fat? Or feel very cold generally and having to go to toilet often? Or any changes you noticed in your body other than reduced appetite and weight loss? I've been focussing on increasing my fat % lately, and I've been managing about 82% everyday (which is extremely high) I've been mostly eating loads of butter like 100g a day!
  #135   ^
Old Thu, May-03-12, 13:13

Stats: 185/165.2/125 Female 5'2"
BF:48%/38%/25%
Progress: 33%

I can't say that I have, but then I haven't been going much over 75-76% fat in a day