Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-10, 18:49

Plan: high fat atkins
Stats: 250/184/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 66%

-asda single serving pate with celery, lettuce, or pork crunch
-M&S single serving clotted cream with a few berries
-hummus with broccoli and cauli (check labels)
-fage greek yohgurt (full fat has less carbs)
-smoked mackerel or other fish in vacuum sealed
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jan-13-10, 17:44

Plan: IF
Stats: 219.3/174.8/147 Female 158cm (5ft 2in)
BF:Too much!
Progress: 62%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen H
Tesco cream cheese is as good as any. And very cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emaleth73
just got back from tescos they have an offer on the reddog hotdogs 10 for a pound. really low in carbs and the chilli ones are really tasty for snacks.

I have seen those, although not too sure about the ingredients list:
Quote:
Chicken Meat* 64%, Pork Meat 17%, Water, Starch, Salt, Milk Proteins, Flavours, Stabilisers E450,E451, Antioxidant: Sodium Ascorbate, Preservative: Sodium Nitrite, *Mechanically Recovered Chicken

They are low on carbs, but I've read many times to watch processed meats such as corned beef, bacon, sausages etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizellen
Lidl's is cheaper but the last time I looked at a packet there was no nutrition info to compare carbs. However they will send you info if you phone their customer service department - www.lidl.co.uk for contact details.

I like Lidl, their prices are good but I noticed they don't put any nutritional info on their packaging, which can be frustrating.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Jan-14-10, 06:47

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay2008
I like Lidl, their prices are good but I noticed they don't put any nutritional info on their packaging, which can be frustrating.
They are improving gradually and some of their products do now carry this.

They are always happy to find it out and let you know if you phone them up. The reponse is quicker if you can give them the bar code for the product.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Jan-14-10, 07:17

Plan: IF
Stats: 219.3/174.8/147 Female 158cm (5ft 2in)
BF:Too much!
Progress: 62%

Quote:
They are improving gradually and some of their products do now carry this.

They are always happy to find it out and let you know if you phone them up. The reponse is quicker if you can give them the bar code for the product.

That sounds great, I didn't know that!

I would like to start shopping at Lidl more often because I like their stuff and is kind on the pocket .

I will keep this in mind for when I am unsure of what might be in something I buy, thank you Elizellen.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Jan-15-10, 10:43
Registered Member

Plan: Please advise fast w.loss
Stats: 297/280/16 Male 6
BF:
Progress: 0%

Yes those hotdogs are good and make a great snack or good with eggs in the morning or anytime

Quote:
Originally Posted by emaleth73
just got back from tescos they have an offer on the reddog hotdogs 10 for a pound. really low in carbs and the chilli ones are really tasty for snacks.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jul-10-12, 12:52

Plan: DANDR induction
Stats: 240/240/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimmJimm
carrot sticks dipped in mayo, salsa etc are a great fsnack or me while I watch Corry

Yep i'm the same, cut up celery, cucumber and cheddar cheese dipped in mayo while i'm watching telly, makes me feel included while the rest of the fam are munching on crisps and biccys lol love the crunch of the celery
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-14, 17:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 297/256/231 Male 6ft 2in
BF:
Progress:
Default Suggestions for eating between meals ( low or no carbs)

Hi Kay2008 - have you been to http://www.fatsecret.co.uk I found that this site helped me with the low carbs diet ( Atkins) as it lets me know how many carbs are in all the foods that I enter. There are loads of things you can eat between meals.. I would suggest you first up your brekkie, Iceland 100% beef burgers comes in 1/4lb or regular size and have no carbs. youngs fish fingers are about 6 net grams of carbs for two and mushrooms. all are a safe bet.
Did you know that fiber cancels carbs i.e a cup of spinach has 1.09 grams of carbs but has 0.7 fiber so the NET CARBS is only 0.39. ( just something to think about). anyway back to snacks.. sugarless jelly and double cream is always a winner with me. eggs anytime any how ( safe food) chicken liver 2 mins to fry and really nice. tins of tuna, makeral, or sardines have no carbs eaten cold or heated ( makes no diffence and really cheap)

hope that helps
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Jun-20-14, 04:21

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistri38
Did you know that fiber cancels carbs i.e a cup of spinach has 1.09 grams of carbs but has 0.7 fiber so the NET CARBS is only 0.39.
Just remember that when looking at UK nutrition labels (and in most other non-USA countries) fibre is not counted as being a carbohydrate at all, so the "total carbs" on a UK label are already "net carbs"
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Jun-21-14, 09:54

Plan: Keto
Stats: 227.7/211.8/160 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:
Progress: 23%

Quote:
Just remember that when looking at UK nutrition labels (and in most other non-USA countries) fibre is not counted as being a carbohydrate at all, so the "total carbs" on a UK label are already "net carbs"

I've seen that in the states too. Just looked at unsweetened cocoa powder the other day. Said less than 1 carb but 2 fiber. I can only assume that they already took it out of the total carb count.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-14, 14:40

Plan: Primal-ish
Stats: 240/205/200 Male 188
BF:
Progress: 88%

Agree with the boiled eggs suggestion, they keep for over a week so you can cook a batch and grab one when you feel the need for a snack