Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 09:02

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 257/239/220 Female 5ft. 7 1/2in.
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default Grandma's Fudge Pie Help

Karen--I have a recipe for fudge pie from my mother-in-law that is usually gooey and wonderful. I have been trying to reduce the calories, carbs and use a sugar and flour replacement. When I used Atkins baking mix and splenda--it turned out extremely dry and flat tasting. I am enclosing the original recipe with hopes that you can give me some suggestions to make it better. Grandma's Fudge Pie--Melt- 3 squares of bitter baking chocolate and 3/4ths cup of Butter together and cool. Add 3 beaten eggs, 1&1/2 cups sugar,1 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 3/4 cup of flour. Mix well and place in a greased pie pan. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes. Cool and serve with unsweetened whipped cream.. Sure hope you can help me out. This is my husbands favorite and He is trying to do some low carbing too. I would like to make it for his up coming birthday and although I cook--I am not a whiz at it. Thanks--Aleka
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 23:22
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi ALEKA,

I'll tell you up front that a lot of recipes just don't convert well. Very few things can replace the texture that sugar and flour provide unless you want to get into dubious ingredients such as sugar alcohols.

To replace moisture, one of the best things to use is cream cheese. Most LC baking is pretty dry so the cream cheese provides a softer texture and fat for mouthfeel. Another ingredient to add body is whey protein isolate but it's also dry. A combination of the two should give you a reasonable and tasty dessert but the texture won't be fudgy, it will be a bit more like a cheesecake because of the cream cheese.

Off the top of my head, I would use 1 cup of cream cheese and 1/2 cup of whey protein isolate and beat the softened butter with the cream cheese, add the sweetener and whey protein, then the eggs and vanilla.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 11:33

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 257/239/220 Female 5ft. 7 1/2in.
BF:
Progress: 49%

Thank you so much Karen for your suggestions. It is too bad that the soy products cause so much dryness in baking. I wouldn't know where to get the sugar alcohols at. It might be worth a try in the chocolate. Someone told me that using chocolate with splenda= bad results- that sugar alcohols would give a better result. Don't know if that is true or not. Anyway--am going to try your suggestion. Maybe if I knocked off 5 minutes of the baking time it would be more moist also. Will let you know my results. Thanks so much--I really appreciate your assistance. Aleka
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 06:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default pie

This receipt may be of interest to you Aleka.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...4&highlight=pie