Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 13:47
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 171/154/150 Female 5'9"
BF:??/18.8/??
Progress: 81%
Default Life after BFL

I am set to start BFL on Saturday, Feb. 7 and I am very excited! I'm a huge planner by nature and so I've actually found it fun to start planning when I'm going to eat/exercise/free day/etc. But I also want to plan what I'm going to do when the 12 weeks is over. I know the book says that once I complete the challenge, that BFL will be a way of life that will seem "normal." to me, but I highly doubt that, primarily because of the time commitment. I know that BFL strives to minimize the time involved, but working out 6 days per week, at least 3 of which have to be first thing in the morning, is a huge commitment for me. In fact, I've had to negotiate a "deal" with my husband that allows me to get up early without being responsible for taking care of the dogs and get home from work earlier than usual without having to help take care of our 18-month old. He's agreed to this on the condition that I only do it for 12 weeks.

Another reason that I don't think I'll continue with BFL after 12 weeks is that the intensity goes against the Schwarzbein Principle, which is the LC (more of a controlled carb) plan that I'm on.

My hope is that after 12 weeks I will have lost the body fat that I want (only about 10 pounds), thereby eliminating the need to exercise on an empty stomach AND that I'll just adore the workouts and want to continue with them at night, after our daughter is in bed. If I'm not so thrilled with the workouts, will more moderate exercise maintain my lean muscle mass? Perhaps Pilates? Or workouts with weights but not as long, strenuous, or regimented? What do you all think and what have you done post-BFL?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 14:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/162.5/140 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:no clue
Progress: 63%

Good questions. I did a 12 week BFL challenge as is. I lost 8 pounds and lots of inches. I toned up and felt better than I've felt in many, many years. That was over 1 year ago. I continued to do the BFL exercises but I also tried the Schwarzbein way of eating and started modifying my exercises. My weight loss came to a screeeeeeeccccching hault. It was also extremely hard and expensive to get organic food where I live, but I learned a lot from the book like to never eat carbs alone. So I am now back to BFL way of eating and I just try not to take my free days so freely.

The things I like about BFL is setting goals. BFL has also helped me get exercise into my daily routine for life. Oh, one other thing. After doing BFL it makes Pilates a lot easier with the extra toned muscle.

Good Luck,

Piano

P.S. www.leanandstrong.com has great information
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 14:17

Plan: BFL
Stats: 151/142/? Female 5'9
BF:35%/23%/15%
Progress: 5%

Hi Sunski,
I've read Schwarzbein and I know she says not to over-exercise but I seem to remember her saying 60 minutes a day for 5-6 days is what you want to work up to! The amount of exercise involved in BFL is pretty minimal considering most people I know lift weights for an hour and then do at least half an hour of cardio right before or after about 3 times a week. We just split it up into extra days so our bodies and muscles are well rested. Really, it felt like a lot of exercise to me at first but now I find myself wanting to do more. I go first thing every morning mon-saturday and then 2-3 times a week at night for extra cardio (to maximize fat burning). I do feel pretty burned out after doing extra cardio and I really don't recommend it to anyone else, but it seems like that's what all the champions did.

Last edited by nitrovixen : Tue, Jan-27-04 at 14:22.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 07:55

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%

I agree with what's been posted in that the BFL workouts take certainly no more time, and perhaps less time, than a conventional workout schedule. Are you doing your workouts at home or at a gym? If at a gym, could you sometimes take your dd to childcare there? If you are working full-time, I understand that you wouldn't want to do that everyday, but occasionally it could give dh a break. One piece of good news is that after this 12 week challenge your dd will be a little older and perhaps easier to take care of. Now that my youngest is almost 2-1/2 my dh doesn't mind watching the kids as much. Also, is there any way you could do some of your workouts at a gym during your lunch break? This worked well for me at my previous job. If I am short on cardio I do stair intervals in the unheated 9-flight stairwell outside our unit. Won't be able to do it in the summer, but for now it's great!

Jen